Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 15: May-July 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
UnitedKingdom.jpg

Welcome to the new thread for the Current Events of
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

It starts on May 15, 2007

Part 15, covering period from February 24 to May 15, 2007
can be found here

Last edited:
The Duke of Edinburgh launches the British Library's Catalogue of Jain Manuscripts in the ballroon at Buckingham Palace, 14 May 2007. ------> Picture

Last edited:
Buckingham Palace will put on an exhibition recreating the wedding of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to commemorate their 60th wedding anniversary later this year.

Queen Elizabeth's Wedding Gown To Go On Display At Buckingham Palace
Queen's wedding dress and jewellery to go on display

An exhibition recreating the 1947 wedding day of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will open at Buckingham Palace this summer to mark their 60th anniversary.
The display will feature archive film footage of the celebrations and behind-the-scenes preparations for the day Princess Elizabeth married Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey.http://www.royal.gov.uk/files/Gallery/Insight May07 Gallery Jain Large.jpg

Last edited:
QUEEN IS GREATEST LIVING BRITON

William Hill fully expect the Queen to be voted the Greatest Living Briton on Monday night and she is the odds on favourite at 4/11 to win the award which will be voted for live on ITV on Monday.
Hills rate Paul McCartney as their 11/4 second favourite with Margaret Thatcher offered at 7/1; 12/1 Robbie Williams and Julie Andrews the 20/1 outsider.

Queen Elizabeth II inspects soldiers of the 470-year-old Honourable Artillery Company in London, Friday May 18, 2007, when she presented new colours to the company. The Honourable Artillery Company, the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, is a reserve unit and the only Surveillance and Target Acquisition Patrol Regiment in the army. It's ceremonial duties include providing a guard of honour for the Lord Mayor of the City of London.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth and Sir Richard Dunnatt

Queen set to taste tangy-spicy Kashmiri delicacies

Queen Elizabeth II will get to taste tangy-spicy Kashmiri delicacies when she visits Huddersfield next week.
She will be served dainty food items like lamb kofta, masala fish and karahi okra, poppdums, and pickles.
The monarch, who is known for her liking of plain food, will be accompanied by her husband, Prince Philip.
According to reports, the idea of organising an Indian feast for the Royals was forwarded by officials in the Yorkshire town, where a large number of Asians reside.
"It's the first time in my experience that the Queen has had an Indian lunch on one of these visits," the Daily Express quoted a courtier as saying about the Kashmiri banquet.

I really dislike the third picture, the one with HM wearing the dark cloak against the cloudy skies.
Actually I think these are not the best pictures Annie Liebovitz has taken. I'm disappointed.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second has just been voted Briton's best living Briton with a whopping 37% of the vote.

1- Queen Elizabeth
2- Robbie Williams
3- Margaret Thatcher.

God Save the Queen!:flowers:

Wow. I love all of those Annie Liebovitz pictures. Has anyone got any bigger versions? I think the third one is amazing.

crm2317 said:
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second has just been voted Briton's best living Briton with a whopping 37% of the vote.

1- Queen Elizabeth
2- Robbie Williams
3- Margaret Thatcher.

God Save the Queen!:flowers:

As if she could have competition. ;)
Thank you for posting the information crm2317. :flowers:

You are very welcome Avalon. I agree with you that she had no competition. Out of the top 5 I would rather have seen Sir Paul McCartney or Dame Julie Andrews in the number 2 spot instead of Robbie Williams. Just my opinion:rolleyes:

Avalon said:
As if she could have competition. ;)
Thank you for posting the information crm2317. :flowers:

What number was the Queen in the richest British women ranking?
I remember that she, Kate Moss, and JK Rowling were all Top Three, and I am fairly sure that the Queen was ousted by JK Rowling for #1, but I don't remember if the Queen was #2, Moss #3, or vice-versa?
It is similar to this "Best living". I wonder if JK Rowling can be considered having good odds for "best living" since she is the wealthist British woman, and what about Kate Moss, I would imagine Kate Moss lives as well as Robbie Williams....

Well personally I would say it is more to do with what the person has done for their country than how much money they have earned. For example yes J.K Rowling is very wealthy and has given a lot to her country and to charity and so deserves to be one of the best living britains. However although Kate Moss is wealthy, as is Robbie Williams, I just don't really understand their nominations. Yea Robbie has done lots of charity work and I do admire his music but I would not have placed him in the top 3, maybe top 10 or 20. Also, aside from these things he is equally as famous for his wild ways and stints in rehab. :flowers:

State Visit

How many State visit do they have in one year? I does not seem that there are as many as there use to be. Is it because the Queen is getting older? Sorry for all the questions.

Sir Sigmund Sternberg, Founder of the Three Faiths Forum, presents the Interfaith Gold Medallion to The Queen at Buckingham Palace, 17 May 2007 ------> Picture

msleman said:
How many State visit do they have in one year? I does not seem that there are as many as there use to be. Is it because the Queen is getting older? Sorry for all the questions.

There is no definite number of state visits per year. It is true that her Majesty is still very active, especially for her age.

The number of state visits in different years has varied. For example, Queen Elizabeth has made 6 State visits in 1980 (to Italy, Switzerland, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco and a visit to Pope John Paul II). But in 1990s she has made 10 state visits in all.

In 2000 the Queen has made 2 state visits - to Italy and and to visit the Pope (visit to Vatican also counts as separate state visit).
In 2001 there was 1 state visit - to Norway (to mark King Harald's celebrations)
There were no state visits in 2002 and 2003.
In 2004 the Queen visited Germany and France (thanks HMQueenElizabethII for reminding).
No state visit in 2005
In 2006 the Queen made 3 State visits - to Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia
The Queen has at least 2 State visits in 2007 - the visit to the USA (already finished) and the visit to Uganda.

Generally, the Queen pays quite a few oversees visits these years: various members of the British Royal Family represent Her Majesty on a number of overseas events.

Last edited:
i love the portraits of the queen, especially the third one. leibovitz is an amazing photographer.

Pics 22.5.2007

Some more pics of the Queen and Prince Philip today:

Queen Elizabeth II recieves Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is greeted by the Mr Nelson Hagerman (left) and his wife, the Lieutenant Governor of
Prince Edward Island, Mrs Barbara Hagerman (centre), inside Buckingham Palace, London, 22 May 2007

Queen 1
Queen 2

The Duke of Edinburgh visits the Cutty Sark site in Greenwich. London, 22 May 2007

Pic 1
Pic 2

So the Duke skipped out on the Chelsea Flower Show this year?
I guess all that flowery stuff was never much to his tastes. ;)

CasiraghiTrio said:
So the Duke skipped out on the Chelsea Flower Show this year?

I don't think so. Avalon posted a link to his picture in the Chelsea Flower Show thread. Wearing a raincoat and carrying an umbrella, if I recall the pciture correctly.

Avalon said:
In 2004 the Queen visited Germany
Thanks, Avalon.You have got a really clear, update about visits of Her Majesty in recent years. Just a little adding, that in April 2004 The Queen paid a State Visit to France to President Jacques Chirac.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Thanks, Avalon.You have got a really clear, update about visits of Her Majesty in recent years. Just a little adding, that in April 2004 The Queen paid a State Visit to France to President Jacques Chirac.

Thank you for reminding, HMQueenElizabethII. :flowers:
I've completely forgotten about the Queen's two day visit to France.

Pics 22.5.2007

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip open the new Planetarium and Education Centre at the Royal Observatory National Maritime Museum, in Greenwich, London, UK on May 22, 2007. Photos by Nunn

Pic 1
Pic 2
Picture gallery

iceflower said:
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II - May 22, 2007 : Pic 2.
Thanks Iceflower :flowers:. In Pic 2 HM is wearing her not-so-small Cartier Flower Basket brooch.
Not a current event as such, but to add some sparkle to the thread here's a better look at the jeweller's art: click!.

Thanks Iceflower and Warren for the picture of the Queen's brooch - it's one of my favourite ones of Her Majesty. :flowers:

Queen honours Canadian pilot who flies for British air force

A Canadian helicopter pilot who flies with the Royal Air Force in Britain was honoured by Queen Elizabeth on Wednesday in part for his bravery during a rescue mission in Afghanistan.
Flight Lieut. Chris Hasler was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross at Buckingham Palace in London. He is the first Canadian to win the medal since the Korean War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom