Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 14: February-May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
UnitedKingdom.jpg

Welcome to Part 15 of the Current Events of The Queen
and the Duke of Edinburgh.

it starts on February 24, 2007

Part 14, covering period from November 2006 - February 2007
can be found here

When a sovereign dies Balmoral and Sandringham are bought by the new Monarch. If Prince William becomes King and The Prince of Wales doesn't, would he be allowed to refuse to sell the two castles to his son?

sirmax said:
When a sovereign dies Balmoral and Sandringham are bought by the new Monarch. If Prince William becomes King and The Prince of Wales doesn't, would he be allowed to refuse to sell the two castles to his son?
selrahc4 has already answered you about Balmoral and Sandringham, I would just add that William can't be King if Charles, his father is alive!

we have wait see if HM Queen dies and if Prince William will become official King of England than his dad the Prince of Wales because Prince William is really good King than his dad and in public wanted William to become King than dad im tell you about that but i would agree with that!

No, we don't have to wait at all. It will not and cannot happen. If Charles is alive when the Queen dies, he becomes King. End of. Simple as. Done. That's your lot.com.

Exactly. Prince Charles is heir to the throne, not Prince William. To change the succession would entail an Act of Parliament. It's not just a matter of deciding who is the most popular at the time. :rolleyes:

This idea that William should succeed his grandmother rather than Charles is a story that was whipped up by the media only during the lowest point of Charles' popularity after the death of Diana and his ongoing relationship with Camilla but has no basis whatsoever within the royal family or within the court system.

sara1981 said:
we have wait see if HM Queen dies and if Prince William will become official King of England than his dad the Prince of Wales because Prince William is really good King than his dad and in public wanted William to become King than dad im tell you about that but i would agree with that!
Stop dreaming, William cannot and will not be King if Charles is still alive!

There is already a whole thread devoted to the subject of whether Charles will reign as King.

Please be considerate of HM the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and don't take up space in their thread to debate Charles' and William's chances to inherit the throne.

If you do need to discuss whether Charles will reign, please do it in the thread that is specifically for that purpose, not here.

ysbel
British forums moderator

Originally Posted by Skydragon
selrahc4 has already answered you about Balmoral and Sandringham, I would just add that William can't be King if Charles, his father is alive!

I thought that Sandringham was the Queen's own property and that she could will it away to anyone she chose?

Skydragon said:
Stop dreaming, William cannot and will not be King if Charles is still alive!

I hope not. I want to see a King Charles. He has sacrificed so much for the role and has worked hard at the duties to become the King. This probably won't fit well with a few posters here, but Charles has done extraordinary work.:)

Last edited:
HRH Kimetha said:
I thought that Sandringham was the Queen's own property and that she could will it away to anyone she chose?

This is true, but the assertion that prompted the answer was that it was "bought" after the death of a sovereign, which isn't the case.

So far, the Sandringham estate has always been willed to the next monarch. This is unlikely to change...for one thing passing from monarch to monarch avoids paying death duties (inheritance tax).

I believe George VI had to buy it from Edward VIII, as it was his personal property and not property of the Crown.

wbenson said:
I believe George VI had to buy it from Edward VIII, as it was his personal property and not property of the Crown.

This is true, because Edward VIII had inherited it when he became King. This scenario, however, does not fit the assertion which started by saying "When a sovereign dies Balmoral and Sandringham are bought by the new Monarch". The new monarch's (George VI) predecessor had not died. George VI's purchase was unique in that a purchase WAS necessary because of that.

selrahc4 said:
This is true, but the assertion that prompted the answer was that it was "bought" after the death of a sovereign, which isn't the case.

So far, the Sandringham estate has always been willed to the next monarch. This is unlikely to change...for one thing passing from monarch to monarch avoids paying death duties (inheritance tax).

Thanks for the explanation. The willing of property from one monarch to another is really a good idea as it keeps the government's hands off of things and keeps the money in the family.:)

selrahc4 said:
This is true, because Edward VIII had inherited it when he became King. This scenario, however, does not fit the assertion which started by saying "When a sovereign dies Balmoral and Sandringham are bought by the new Monarch". The new monarch's (George VI) predecessor had not died. George VI's purchase was unique in that a purchase WAS necessary because of that.

The Austrians had the same problem with an abdication once. When emperor Ferdinand I. abdicated in 1848 in favor of his 18 y.o. nephew Franz Joseph I. (whom he declared as being of age before that due to that purpose) he only passed on the political power and his position in state and society as the emperor. He kept the private possessions and estates of the head of the House of Habsburg, so that Franz Joseph was reduced to live off the "Austrian Civil list" for the first years of his regency.

It was even so tough with money for him that he could not afford to install a new bathroom in the rooms of his new wife, empress Elisabeth (Sissi) at Schoenbrunn for lack of money - something the young bride complained about in her letters to her family.

But Ferdinand had the time and the talent to deal with the Habsburg-possessions (which were plentiful, as they dated back to a time when there was no difference between the Crown estate and the private estate of the monarch in most countries the Habsburg inherited like Hungary, Bohemia, Italy...), so when he died in 1875 he left one of the greatest legal estates of that time to his nephew, the emperor.

It is good that in britain most of the possessions go with the office of king/queen and do not stay with the individual, otherwise george VI. would have had problems, too, in financing the aquisition of Balmoral and Sandringham.

HM's hat looks like a cake. I love it.

Sister Morphine said:
HM's hat looks like a cake. I love it.

In the 70's and 80's the Queen wore some really dowdy outfits and hats. I think she almost always looks lovely now. She is completely appropriate for her age, but nice.

Stamps to be issued by Gibraltar
http://www.panorama.gi/localnews/headlines.php?action=view_article&article=2004&offset=0
Diamond Wedding Anniversary
The set of stamps commemorating the Diamond Wedding Anniversary feature official photographs of the Royal Engagement in 1947, Royal Wedding in 1947, Silver Anniversary in 1972 and Ruby Anniversary in 1987. The Diamond shaped Miniature Sheet features an additional official photograph of the wedding. A limited edition folder (1000 released) will be available. The four stamps are issued in special collector sheetlets.
Pictures of the stamps: Welcome to Gibraltar Stamps

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a clue of the celebrations that will be held for the Diamond Wedding Anniversary?

I always thought the Diamond wedding anniversary was 75 years.

Edit: I just looked it up, apparently Diamond can be from 60-75 years.

Sister Morphine said:
I always thought the Diamond wedding anniversary was 75 years.

Edit: I just looked it up, apparently Diamond can be from 60-75 years.

What so ever, does anyone know when the celebrations will be held

sirmax said:
What so ever, does anyone know when the celebrations will be held

That was a little rude, no? I would imagine it would be held around the time of their 60th anniversary in November of this year.

Let's put the hackles down, folks, thank you.

Since the wedding was in November, I assume the celebrations won't be happening till sometime around then. I always get nervous when some of these major celebrations, especially when involving old people, are planned a long way ahead of time, but so far the people concerned have always managed to survive.

Just FYI Sister Morphine, Queen Victoria's 60th anniversary as Queen was called the Diamond Jubilee. I did wonder what would have happened if she'd lived another 15 years and had a 75th anniversary, but I suppose it was pretty much certain that she wouldn't. I'm afraid the same will probably be the case for the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's wedding anniversary.

Given the last fifteen years HM has had, I couldn't survive another fifteen and I'm several decades younger!

I expect they'll both be around for this celebration. The Queen Mother used to joke about the rehearsals for her funeral. HM must expect, if not demand, the long preparations by now. After all, most Royal events are planned up to years in advance. This is just another date...in some ways.

Letter from Princess Elizabeth to be auctioned.

Getty Images of a letter written by the Queen when age 12:

On the Royal Insight page, one question was asked concerning the Diamond Jubilee and they answered that nothing had been planned yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom