The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Aha! Lord Rankin may have cracked this one. A back problem doesn't last this long. Maybe it's a carefully staged stunt to allow Charles to open Parliament for the Queen?
!! Jokes aside, I seriously doubt that Queen will miss the opening of Parliament. I remember reading that it had been purposed several years back, that Charles read the speech if the Queen was either out of the country or ill and the Queen herself said no.

I personally believe that the Queen will stay on the throne until she draws her last breath, but I honestly hope that the Queen decides to start slowing down! She is 80, and regardless of the fact that she is overall in good health, she can't expect to continue doing all these engagements until she dies.

I hope that Buckingham Palace has a plan in place to transfer some of the Queen's public duties to Charles.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Courtier

I hope she'll get well soon.
I'm sure she will open parliament.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Muscle strain sidelines Queen
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...89-663,00.html
Old 11-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Charles Idea sounds like a great one! :)
Old 11-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

While the Queen is alive and kicking, I would expect no one other than the monarch to open parliament

Musn't get ahead of ourselves.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:00 PM

What I meant was, last year we heard how the Court wants Charles to start taking over some of the Queen's duties. Well, maybe this is a sly practise run to just show people how it would be with Charles opening Parliament.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What I meant was, last year we heard how the Court wants Charles to start taking over some of the Queen's duties. Well, maybe this is a sly practise run to just show people how it would be with Charles opening Parliament.
Of course BeatrixFan, I wasn't disputing Charles taking on more duties but I don't believe Charles will open his mother's parliament. This is something reserved entirely for the monarch and I emphatically believe (respectively) that this shall not change

I think it would be rather disrespectful towards his mothers office as sovereign, if Charles did preside over the opening (Just my view of course )
Old 11-02-2006, 09:16 PM

Didn't Edward VII open Parliament for Queen Victoria in her latter years?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Didn't Edward VII open Parliament for Queen Victoria in her latter years?
I'm not certain (I'm sure someone will be better informed on that topic) but Queen Victoria was prone to bouts (sometimes longer periods) of self imposed public neglect and the responsibilities that would accompany, otherwise.

I think its safe to say that Queen Elizabeth is much unlike her great-great grandmother in many respects and is of able body (minus one strain) and mind to perform the duty.

If Edward did preside over such an occasion then I stand corrected as to it being solely practiced by the monarch, yet I remain willfully apposed to the idea myself.

I also think the Queen's sense of 'historic & dutiful continuity' (as Polly has before mentioned) would make this an option less than appealing.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:50 PM

I'm not sure if Edward ever did but I think I remember hearing that he did. Chrissy57 - where are you?! I wouldnt mind seeing Charles opening Parliament or even Anne. As long as the power remains with the Queen, I don't see that it would matter much.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Courtier

I have two questions

1) I know the Queen has missed openings of Parliament in the past. In that case who fills in (ie when she was expecting Andrew and Edward)

2)This might sound like a silly question, but can she open Parliament without the crown she usually wears, it looks very heavy and that can't be good for her back.

Map for the British Royals
Old 11-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
1) I know the Queen has missed openings of Parliament in the past. In that case who fills in (ie when she was expecting Andrew and Edward)
Good question.

I have also wondered who (if anyone) performed the overseeing of the opening of parliament whilst the Queen was pregnant.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Majesty

From what I can find the following points might help some of you:

1. The Queen didn't open parliament in either 1959 or 1963 when she was pregnant with Princes Andrew and Edward - these are the only two occasions on which she hasn't opened the parliament in person

2. Who did it I can't find but...

according to the reports I have read about the reign of Victoria after Albert's death, even when she did attend the opening of parliament the Lord Chancellor read the Speech from the Throne.

If that precedent was followed then, if the Queen can't attend Charles wouldn't open parliament but the Lord Chancellor would read the speech.

I will continue looking.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
From what I can find the following points might help some of you:
Thanks chrissy57
Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Courtier

I once asked to the official site "Royal Insight" who opened Parliament in 1959 and 1936. Their answer was Lord Chancellor.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
I once asked to the official site "Royal Insight" who opened Parliament in 1959 and 1936. Their answer was Lord Chancellor.
Mille grazie, ElisaR
Old 11-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
They don't worry about the cost, it is the British taxpayer who will pay for this light polution! As for the energy crisis, it seems the men in grey suits are happy to leave that to Charles and the rest of us to worry about.
I don't think the Queen has heard of global warming either, after all Blair has been reassuring us all for years that it is not happening!
Well, I think that I read somewhere ( I will have to dig it up) that the royal family costs the British taxpayer .62 ( as in less than 1 pound) per year. I find that quite reasonable to uphold tradition personally.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
Well, I think that I read somewhere ( I will have to dig it up) that the royal family costs the British taxpayer .62 ( as in less than 1 pound) per year. I find that quite reasonable to uphold tradition personally.
Well. its quite reasonable... less than a pound? does the Prime Minister cost more?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Elizabeth II visits Crawley

Old 11-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

HM looks beautiful and good.

Her coat reminds me one of Diana's outfit.

Thanks StoneCold

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii