Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 12: October-November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive heard Shell attend Williams Passing out on December 15, But im worried about her too, I Sadly feel shes in her Twilight....may be a few years yet But I Think we'll see a King Charles III sooner Rather than later

I am very concerned about her majesty too. once pple her age start getting sick-it goes downhill. This has to be serious when the queen is cancelling engagement---you know its really, really bad when her majesty misses racing so..... i certainly wish her a speedy recovery, but i also see her aging quickly now and I cant even think about england without queen elizabeth II. These back injuries can get more complicated particularly because of her age---but I have my fingers crossed I hope to see another 20yrs of her.

Royal Fan said:
Ive heard Shell attend Williams Passing out on December 15, But im worried about her too, I Sadly feel shes in her Twilight....may be a few years yet But I Think we'll see a King Charles III sooner Rather than later

While I am very concered about the Queen's continued back troubles, I don't think the Queen is that bad off and as that old saying says "don't plan my funeral just yet." A strained back, while painful, is hardly fatal. She is 80 years old so her back is not going to heal as quickly. I think if anything, this is painful message to the Queen that she sould start reducing her workload. But honestly, I don't think we'll be singing God Save The King anytime soon. Even if she does suffer continuing problems, she will continue on like the Queen mother right until the end.

Besides if Her Majesty was really badly off, I think we would start hearing rumours and Charles would be flying home from Pakistan.

Last edited:
i know its hard for HM Queen have hurt her back but she need easy on her public engagement and im sure she need rest lots because she is 80 years old monarchy and who will replace for her like Prince of Wales or Duke of York,Earl of Wessex and Princess Anne for their Mother the Queen Elizabeth II on public engagement for open ceremony set-up but im sure Prince Charles will help his mother lots when he get home from Pakistan

queen

first her eye and now her back, i hope she feel better real soon.:flowers:

I hope that everything will be o.k. with the Queen's health.

I hope she gets well soon, does not the State Opening of Parliament happen in November?

Aha! Lord Rankin may have cracked this one. A back problem doesn't last this long. Maybe it's a carefully staged stunt to allow Charles to open Parliament for the Queen?

Princess Anne had to deputise for her at the most recent awards ceremony in BP - where Aussie, Rolf Harris, was invested with his OBE.

It was just shown on the morning news here.

Anne looked very nice I might add.

BeatrixFan said:
Aha! Lord Rankin may have cracked this one. A back problem doesn't last this long. Maybe it's a carefully staged stunt to allow Charles to open Parliament for the Queen?

:lol:!! Jokes aside, I seriously doubt that Queen will miss the opening of Parliament. I remember reading that it had been purposed several years back, that Charles read the speech if the Queen was either out of the country or ill and the Queen herself said no.

I personally believe that the Queen will stay on the throne until she draws her last breath, but I honestly hope that the Queen decides to start slowing down! She is 80, and regardless of the fact that she is overall in good health, she can't expect to continue doing all these engagements until she dies.

I hope that Buckingham Palace has a plan in place to transfer some of the Queen's public duties to Charles.

I hope she'll get well soon. :flowers:
I'm sure she will open parliament. ;)

The Charles Idea sounds like a great one! :)

While the Queen is alive and kicking, I would expect no one other than the monarch to open parliament :flowers:

Musn't get ahead of ourselves.

What I meant was, last year we heard how the Court wants Charles to start taking over some of the Queen's duties. Well, maybe this is a sly practise run to just show people how it would be with Charles opening Parliament.

BeatrixFan said:
What I meant was, last year we heard how the Court wants Charles to start taking over some of the Queen's duties. Well, maybe this is a sly practise run to just show people how it would be with Charles opening Parliament.

Of course BeatrixFan, I wasn't disputing Charles taking on more duties but I don't believe Charles will open his mother's parliament. This is something reserved entirely for the monarch and I emphatically believe (respectively) that this shall not change :)

I think it would be rather disrespectful towards his mothers office as sovereign, if Charles did preside over the opening (Just my view of course ;))

Last edited:
Didn't Edward VII open Parliament for Queen Victoria in her latter years?

BeatrixFan said:
Didn't Edward VII open Parliament for Queen Victoria in her latter years?

I'm not certain (I'm sure someone will be better informed on that topic) but Queen Victoria was prone to bouts (sometimes longer periods) of self imposed public neglect and the responsibilities that would accompany, otherwise.

I think its safe to say that Queen Elizabeth is much unlike her great-great grandmother in many respects and is of able body (minus one strain) and mind to perform the duty.

If Edward did preside over such an occasion then I stand corrected as to it being solely practiced by the monarch, yet I remain willfully apposed to the idea myself.

I also think the Queen's sense of 'historic & dutiful continuity' (as Polly has before mentioned) would make this an option less than appealing.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Edward ever did but I think I remember hearing that he did. Chrissy57 - where are you?! I wouldnt mind seeing Charles opening Parliament or even Anne. As long as the power remains with the Queen, I don't see that it would matter much.

I have two questions

1) I know the Queen has missed openings of Parliament in the past. In that case who fills in (ie when she was expecting Andrew and Edward)

2)This might sound like a silly question, but can she open Parliament without the crown she usually wears, it looks very heavy and that can't be good for her back.

Oppie said:
1) I know the Queen has missed openings of Parliament in the past. In that case who fills in (ie when she was expecting Andrew and Edward)

Good question.

I have also wondered who (if anyone) performed the overseeing of the opening of parliament whilst the Queen was pregnant.

From what I can find the following points might help some of you:

1. The Queen didn't open parliament in either 1959 or 1963 when she was pregnant with Princes Andrew and Edward - these are the only two occasions on which she hasn't opened the parliament in person

2. Who did it I can't find but...

according to the reports I have read about the reign of Victoria after Albert's death, even when she did attend the opening of parliament the Lord Chancellor read the Speech from the Throne.

If that precedent was followed then, if the Queen can't attend Charles wouldn't open parliament but the Lord Chancellor would read the speech.

I will continue looking.

I once asked to the official site "Royal Insight" who opened Parliament in 1959 and 1936. Their answer was Lord Chancellor. ;)

ElisaR said:
I once asked to the official site "Royal Insight" who opened Parliament in 1959 and 1936. Their answer was Lord Chancellor. ;)

Mille grazie, ElisaR :)

Skydragon said:
They don't worry about the cost, it is the British taxpayer who will pay for this light polution! As for the energy crisis, it seems the men in grey suits are happy to leave that to Charles and the rest of us to worry about.
I don't think the Queen has heard of global warming either, after all Blair has been reassuring us all for years that it is not happening! :rolleyes:

Well, I think that I read somewhere ( I will have to dig it up) that the royal family costs the British taxpayer .62 ( as in less than 1 pound) per year. I find that quite reasonable to uphold tradition personally.:rolleyes:

Empress said:
Well, I think that I read somewhere ( I will have to dig it up) that the royal family costs the British taxpayer .62 ( as in less than 1 pound) per year. I find that quite reasonable to uphold tradition personally.:rolleyes:

Well. its quite reasonable... less than a pound? does the Prime Minister cost more?

HM looks beautiful and good.

Her coat reminds me one of Diana's outfit.

Thanks StoneCold:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom