Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 11: July-October 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BMC said:
True but I've never seen her wear pants to a function like this. I've seen her in her riding outfit, and the picture of her after the knee operation.
AFAIK, she has always worn a dress to public functions.
It is not an official function but its more to private or family affair.Public function is official function or engagements.

I think what BMC meant was that s/he had never seen HM before meeting commoners wearing trousers. I was quite taken aback too.

Skydragon said:
The Queen, Princess Anne and Commander Laurence arrive at Port Ellen (Isle of Islay) to embark on their trip aboard The Hebridean Princess. It is a week-long cruise around the Western Isles to celebrate the Queen's 80th birthday on July 21, 2006. - Abaca Press

The Queen looks very relaxed in those pictures & almost giddy with her smile (at least that is how it looks to me) :)

BeatrixFan said:
I think what BMC meant was that s/he had never seen HM before meeting commoners wearing trousers. I was quite taken aback too.

It is surprising to see her in trousers, but that outfit does look good on her.

what a cool story, the queen seems to be a real lovley lady. everybody who meets her in her privat time says the same about her.

norwegianne said:
What a lovely story. Unexpected royals popping in, and having a conversation with the Queen.

I could say 'he will be dining out on that story for years', except there are very few places to dine on Gigha. :D It must have been so lovely for him and his family, something to stay in their memories for a long, long time. :)

BeatrixFan said:

Thanks BeatrixFan, you got it exactly right. And for the record,I'm a she :)

Right, I'll remember that BMC. I felt the same way because although I've seen HM wear trousers at certain private events like when Philip goes carriage driving, this time it was as if she was making a public appearance in trousers. She did look nice but I still prefer her usual style.

Article from HELLO
There aren't many wardrobes that can boast crystal and pearl-encrusted gowns, but then again the Queen's dress collection was always going to be an extraordinary affair. Now the public can gain an insight into the monarch's private collection as the largest exhibition to date of her glittering evening gowns and personal jewellery has gone on show at Buckingham Palace..................
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/07/26/queendresses/

BeatrixFan said:
Right, I'll remember that BMC. I felt the same way because although I've seen HM wear trousers at certain private events like when Philip goes carriage driving, this time it was as if she was making a public appearance in trousers. She did look nice but I still prefer her usual style.

Sam, how lucky for you to have been at some of the private driving events! If you don't mind, could you share the times and places? I know it's not Royal Windsor, because except for being there in riding habit a few times, she wears skirts there.

By the way, the Queen wore trousers to at least one engagement in Canada (in the 70's I believe). It was in the far north and she also wore a fur-trimmed parka. And looked gorgeous, needless to say.

An earlier trousers pic (From Getty Images). 1979 in Zambia.

1979inZambiatrousers.jpg

Thanks purple_platinum for posting the pictures. Her Majesties dresses are splendid! Some of them are simplt breathtaking!
Can anyone tell me when did Her Majesty wear these dresses? I know it's probably hard to find out (at least I didn't manage to) but maybe someone knows.

q16.jpg

q12-20060728110825.jpg

from Tim Graham, originally posted by purple_platinum

The yellow dress was worn in Dubai, during a visit to some Middle East countries. I think the year was 1979.

The yellow dress she wore in the Gulf States is just gorgeous. Its so chic and something Jackie O would wear. Even now it would still be chic and great. Some of these dresses would still look good today.

Thank you very much ElisaR for your answer. That dress is really gorgeous and not the most typical of Her Majesty's gowns, that's why I wondered.

thanks so much purple platinum and avalon the detail and cut of the dresses is so clear. i especially like the beaded white one, most could be wore today and look perfect.

Avalon said:
Thank you very much ElisaR for your answer. That dress is really gorgeous and not the most typical of Her Majesty's gowns, that's why I wondered.
You're welcome. ;)

Sam, how lucky for you to have been at some of the private driving events!

Sorry, I completely missed this! I have a cousin who works at the Palace and he's allowed to invite family members to Polo matches, carriage driving etc at Windsor. I've been a few times but I've never met the Queen. She's often there, standing by her 4x4 in trousers, blouse and a barbour with some of the dogs.

selrahc4 said:
Sam, how lucky for you to have been at some of the private driving events! If you don't mind, could you share the times and places? I know it's not Royal Windsor, because except for being there in riding habit a few times, she wears skirts there.

By the way, the Queen wore trousers to at least one engagement in Canada (in the 70's I believe). It was in the far north and she also wore a fur-trimmed parka. And looked gorgeous, needless to say.

Thank you for the picture of the Queen in trousers. :flowers: I don't think they were 'private' events as such but, the Queen does go and watch Prince Phillip competing in his carriage driving events, where she is not on official duty. I have to say, like you, I have only seen her in country style skirts and jodphurs at the events I have seen.

BeatrixFan said:
The Queen did not intend to meet commoners but they were there (on their own but not invited) to see The Queen boarding the ship.So you can't say that The Queen wore pants to meet the public on private or family events.On formal and official duties and engagements,The Queen wears dress,hat and gloves.Even Buckingham Palace spokesperson refused to comment about the holiday saying that the holiday was The Queen's private moment with her family and they would not comment on private or personal matters / affairs.

Last edited:
srivishnu said:
The Queen did not intend to meet commoners but they were there (on their own but not invited) to see The Queen boarding the ship.So you can't say that The Queen wore pants to meet the public on private or family events.Even Buckingham Palace spokesperson refused to comment about the holiday saying that the holiday was The Queen's private moment with her family and they would not comment on private or personal matters / affairs.

that their choice but HM Queen can wores pants when she not attend duties in the public but she can wores pants what she wanted it but the spokesperson wont comment they wont answer question from buckingham palaces dues respect

More pictures from the special exhibition of the Queen of England's dresses and jewellery, at Buckingham Palace, in London, England
Tuesday, July 25, 2006.

1 - A visitor looks at a selection of dresses worn by the Queen of England
2 - Melanie Edwards, assistant curator of the Royal Collection, straightens a fold in a duchesse satin dress embroidered with diamante, pearls, beads, and sequins, worn by the Queen of England in 1957 during her tour of Canada and the U.S.A., designed by Norman Hartnell
3 - Diamante, pearls, beads, and sequins, are seen embroidered in this duchesse satin dress worn by the Queen of England in 1957 during her tour of Canada and the U.S.A., designed by Norman Hartnell
4 - Visitors look at a selection of dresses worn by the Queen of England and designed by Norman Hartnell
5 - Two visitors look at an aquamarine and diamond tiara from Garrards, 1957, and an aquamarine and diamond necklace and bracelet from Mappin & Webb, in Rio de Janeiro, 1953
6 - The 'Lover's Knot' brooch
7 - A lace, lame, and tulle dress worn by the Queen of England in Wellington, New Zealand and designed by Norman Hartnell in 1953

(photos by SUZANNE PLUNKETT/Landov)

I really love that lace/tulle dress from 1953 she wore in new zealand. really wonderful dresses,im very upset that im not going to be in london to see this exhibit personally. i did manage to see the famous dress she wore to france which was on display in kensington palace---does anyone know if that dress is part of this collection on exhibit??? whats amazing in a lot of these dresses is the detail and workmanship. the queen must have felt quite nostalgic when she went through the exhibit!

Did the Queen want to abdicate after Di's death?

London, Aug 14(ANI): If the story of new film 'The Queen' is to be believed, Elizabeth II, shocked at the public anger towards her, considered abdicating in the days after Princess Diana died.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/060814/139/66o45.html

Skydragon..thanks for the info. But needless to say...that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. The Queen, who was brought up to do her duty...abdicating. NEVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom