The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Today, July 15, Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh made a visit to Bletchley Park,
Milton Keynes and paid tribute to the codebreakers that worked at Bletchley Park.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

** BBC video: Queen pays tribute to Bletchley Park Enigma codebreakers **

** The Queen's speech at Bletchley Park, 15 July 2011 **

Pics without watermarks can be found here:

** zimbio/Bauer Griffin: The Queen in Milton Keynes **

** zimbio/gettyimages: Queen Visits Bletchley Park **

Old 07-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

On July 12, the Queen received His Excellency the Ambassador of Chad, Mr Ahmat Awad Sakine (pic 1)
and His Excellency the High Commissioner for Vanuatu, Mr Roy Mickey Joy (pic 2), who presented their
Letters of Credence at Buckingham Palace.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Yesterday, July 14, the Queen (in a great yellow sunshine dress ) met Aminatta Forna, winner of the
2011 Commonwealth Writers Prize and received Malaysia's Prime Minister, Najib Razak with his wife
Rosmah Mansor.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Later a reception for winners of the Queen's Award for Enterprise was held at Buckingham Palace.

** Pic ** belga gallery **

In the picture of HMQ with the Prime Minister of Malaysia you can see that she has a copy of one of the engagement photos of Will and Kate on one of her side tables. It's the more formal photo where Kate's wearing the Reiss dress.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Today, July 15, Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh made a visit to Bletchley Park,
Milton Keynes and paid tribute to the codebreakers that worked at Bletchley Park.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

** BBC video: Queen pays tribute to Bletchley Park Enigma codebreakers **

** The Queen's speech at Bletchley Park, 15 July 2011 **

Pics without watermarks can be found here:

** zimbio/Bauer Griffin: The Queen in Milton Keynes **

** zimbio/gettyimages: Queen Visits Bletchley Park **
One of my favorite outfits on the Queen, and she looks SO happy!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

On July 12, the Queen received His Excellency the Ambassador of Chad, Mr Ahmat Awad Sakine (pic 1)
who presented their
Letters of Credence at Buckingham Palace.

** Pic 1 **
Yesterday, July 14, the Queen (in a great yellow sunshine dress ) met Aminatta Forna, winner of the
2011 Commonwealth Writers Prize and received Malaysia's Prime Minister, Najib Razak with his wife
Rosmah Mansor.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Interesting headpiece choice by the ambassador of Chad, I have to say!

The yellow dress is lovely, but too bright! Makes my head hurt! Where is the pic of Kate in that image? Could not see it!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Its picture 2....you can see it from an angle.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Now you've done it!

My husband is strangely fascinated with the picture of HM poking at the Enigma machine. He's talking in a high-pitched voice, using received pronunciation, saying, "O, what does this button do?" And now, in a deeper voice, "OMG, Lillibet, you've just launched a missile at a German sub!"

One is amused.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
My husband is strangely fascinated with the picture of HM poking at the Enigma machine. He's talking in a high-pitched voice, using received pronunciation, saying, "O, what does this button do?" And now, in a deeper voice, "OMG, Lillibet, you've just launched a missile at a German sub!" One is amused.
This will keep me laughing through my last teacher cert exam tomorrow. It is appreciated.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Nobility

I am very suprised that The Queen's cousin, Hon. Margaret Rhodes was not at Bletchley, especially as she worked there in WWI>
Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Did she have babies to bring up?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Courtier

The Queen's knees?

Has there been any recent information about HM's need for knee replacement surgery? The original stories in the spring indicated that she would have the surgery in the summer (summer 2011?), and that four months would be needed for her recuperation. Since she would need to be ready for action in October (Australia trip), it would seem she would have the surgery very soon, likely after Zara's wedding.

I only yesterday encountered an elderly friend who was out for the first time after her April knee replacement. Said it was an extremely painful ordeal and that she was dreading having the second knee done, but that they had given her majorly 'good drugs' to deal with the pain.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Courtier

I have had both my knees replaced six years ago. It is a very painful procedure, but worth it. I no longer take any pain medicine. I was back square dancing 2 months after surgery. I hope HM has good luck with the surgery.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Courtier

The enigma comment is funny, thanks for that it gave me a laugh. If she is having knee surgery hopefully it will be soon if she is coming to Oz in October. She would have time to relax at Balmoral but I don't think she will do much rambling for awhile! It is very painful afterwards and even with the best pain killers there are times of great discomfort. Hopefully it will go well for her! I actually think she looks wonderful her clothes are looking really good on her. She loves yellow and she wears bright colours so the crowd can see her, same with her lipstick.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Courtier

Knowing what kind of physical therapy takes place after knee replacement surgery, I sure wouldn't want to be the physical therapist causing HM so much pain.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Not sure whether I've posted about "The Queen with her eyes closed" image at the National Galleries Scotland..... or, properly titled, "The Queen - Art and Image"

This amazing exhibition about QE2 still runs until September 18th, 2011.

National Galleries of Scotland − What's On − The Queen: Art and Image
Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Knowing what kind of physical therapy takes place after knee replacement surgery, I sure wouldn't want to be the physical therapist causing HM so much pain.
Well at least it is no longer customary to throw one in the tower and subsequently lop off their head.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Has there been any recent information about HM's need for knee replacement surgery? The original stories in the spring indicated that she would have the surgery in the summer (summer 2011?), and that four months would be needed for her recuperation. Since she would need to be ready for action in October (Australia trip), it would seem she would have the surgery very soon, likely after Zara's wedding.

I, too, think that the Queen will have surgery quite shortly - IMHO there was no chance of HM undergoing surgery until the end of the 'London Season' and so I think that Zara's wedding will pretty well mark the last of pre-surgery appearances. [Traditionally, members of the Royal Family used to appear at Cowes Week for the sailing [start of August - The Royal Yacht Britannia used to anchor just off Cowes and traditionally Prince Phillip and Anne used to compete and various other members of the RF aboard Britannia used to spectate and party and then, at the conclusion of the week, Britannia began the cruise up to Scotland [the Queen's favourite time apparently]. Since Britannia was decommissioned, the BRF no longer partcipate in Cowes Week. Sad.

Incidentally, I remember that after the initial announcement of the need for surgery, it was stated that the Queen could no longer go riding and yet we then all saw a rather charming picture of HM with [from memory] Sophie's children taken just before the Royal Windsor Horse Show.

Hope this helps

Alex
Old 07-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
I, too, think that the Queen will have surgery quite shortly - IMHO there was no chance of HM undergoing surgery until the end of the 'London Season' and so I think that Zara's wedding will pretty well mark the last of pre-surgery appearances. [Traditionally, members of the Royal Family used to appear at Cowes Week for the sailing [start of August - The Royal Yacht Britannia used to anchor just off Cowes and traditionally Prince Phillip and Anne used to compete and various other members of the RF aboard Britannia used to spectate and party and then, at the conclusion of the week, Britannia began the cruise up to Scotland [the Queen's favourite time apparently]. Since Britannia was decommissioned, the BRF no longer partcipate in Cowes Week. Sad.

Incidentally, I remember that after the initial announcement of the need for surgery, it was stated that the Queen could no longer go riding and yet we then all saw a rather charming picture of HM with [from memory] Sophie's children taken just before the Royal Windsor Horse Show.

Hope this helps

Alex
I agree that now is probably the best time for HM to have the operation, she'd have several weeks to recuperate & rehab the knee.

If I was a medical person I'd be shaking in my shoes to have her as a patient- difficult enough to deal with ordinary people but the Queen??? I wonder what kind of patient she would be- she hasn't had many health problems [thankfully] so I wonder what her reactions are when she is ill or injured.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
...(snip)
If I was a medical person I'd be shaking in my shoes to have her as a patient- difficult enough to deal with ordinary people but the Queen??? I wonder what kind of patient she would be- she hasn't had many health problems [thankfully] so I wonder what her reactions are when she is ill or injured.
Perhaps, like Queen Victoria, she lies back and thinks of England.
I'm reasonably sure she's an excellent patient- strong women usually are.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas

Perhaps, like Queen Victoria, she lies back and thinks of England.
I'm reasonably sure she's an excellent patient- strong women usually are.
...as a nurse, I can tell you from my experience strong women are not usually excellent patients!!! LOL. The ones I've encountered are typically quite demanding, some don't get they're not the only patient on the ward!.

Anyway, I wish HM a speedy recovery!! :)
Old 07-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Queen Elizabeth received the Ambassador of Togo Calixte Batossie Madjoulba (1) and
Jordan's Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Mazen Homoud (2) at an audience at
Buckingham Palace on July 19, 2011 in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **