The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Philip resumes royal engagements - Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2012 | 3:22 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Queen Elizabeth II's husband has returned to official duties following a heart procedure that saw him spend Christmas in hospital.
Prince Philip attended a fundraising dinner at Cambridge University Tuesday to support its Scott Polar Research Institute - his first official engagement since the procedure.
[...]
Tuesday's dinner was held 100 years to the day since English explorer Robert F. Scott and his expedition reached the South Pole
The prince, wearing a dark suit, joined the explorer's two granddaughters and other guests including Prince Albert of Monaco at the event supporting polar exploration.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Glad to see the prince back in action, but hopefully on a limited basis for the time being.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Changing tyres, knitting socks and the making of a very modest Monarch | Mail Online
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

My indispensable grandpa, by Prince Harry: Royal pays tribute in an interview | Mail Online
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, that is...wait, I think I have dust in my eye or something...(thanks free2rhyme).
Old 01-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Majesty

Monday february 6th,BBC1 at 21.00 PM GMT:

" The Diamond Queen"
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

Monday february 6th,BBC1 at 21.00 PM GMT:

" The Diamond Queen"
Should not not not miss this one. Looking forward to the exclusive interviews with the royals.

The Queen's Jubilee year seems to be in full swing, with many articles popping up every so often. And with royal tours starting next month, I think we're in for a nice, long ride.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

So how do the rest of us see this if we do not have BBC? Anything on American channels? I hate not having access to all these programs and celebrations. Maybe I need to consider a move at some point. :)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Aristocracy

Surely it will end up on youtube like all the Queen's Palaces pieces. It seems the BBC are less strict about such things.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
Surely it will end up on youtube like all the Queen's Palaces pieces. It seems the BBC are less strict about such things.
Maybe BBC America? I've yet to look to see if its listed but... that would be my best guess.

I found this tonight just wading through news.

AOL.com Video - Inside Scoop onÂ*Queen Elizabeth
Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am looking forward to the Documentary on 6th February, particularly the interviews with Anne, Edward and Andrew, as well as some of her grandchildren. If only Louise could answer some questions, hah.

Thank you for the articles, particularly the 60 facts.

" 45 WHEN her father unexpectedly became King, Princess Margaret, then six, said to her: “Does that mean you’re going to be queen? Poor you.” "

Poor Elizabeth, what a daunting prospect at 10, especially when your 6 year old sister feels sorry for you.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi
Prince Philip resumes royal engagements - Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2012 | 3:22 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Queen Elizabeth II's husband has returned to official duties following a heart procedure that saw him spend Christmas in hospital.
Prince Philip attended a fundraising dinner at Cambridge University Tuesday to support its Scott Polar Research Institute - his first official engagement since the procedure.
[...]
Tuesday's dinner was held 100 years to the day since English explorer Robert F. Scott and his expedition reached the South Pole
The prince, wearing a dark suit, joined the explorer's two granddaughters and other guests including Prince Albert of Monaco at the event supporting polar exploration.
For the first time ever I wish prince Philip were not so.... Prince Philip! He should stop being so prince Philip! He really needs to stop being so prince Philip and that is all.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Dear Prince Philip, gratefully,already has achieved quantity, but I think he has gone for quality his entire life. Let him be himself.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. There is no changing him. Its better to just let him be. The man is definately stubborn and persistant. Have to give him credit though, he just doesnt quit. I have to admit I admire the man for his determination.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Maybe BBC America?
Yes, you know where they advertise "We speak English!"

BBC America - The Biggest Names in British Television
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose it's useless to wonder about these things, but I wonder just what Margaret saw of being a monarch that led her--at the tender age of six--to say "poor you"? Had she picked up on her father's misery at knowing that he was going to be king instead of Uncle David? Did Queen Mary's life seem particularly unhappy to a young child? Did she hear her mother expressing her horror at the idea of becoming Queen? It's an interesting statement for someone so young to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
" 45 WHEN her father unexpectedly became King, Princess Margaret, then six, said to her: “Does that mean you’re going to be queen? Poor you.” "

Poor Elizabeth, what a daunting prospect at 10, especially when your 6 year old sister feels sorry for you.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I suppose it's useless to wonder about these things, but I wonder just what Margaret saw of being a monarch that led her--at the tender age of six--to say "poor you"? Had she picked up on her father's misery at knowing that he was going to be king instead of Uncle David? Did Queen Mary's life seem particularly unhappy to a young child? Did she hear her mother expressing her horror at the idea of becoming Queen? It's an interesting statement for someone so young to make.
I've wondered the same thing. She was only 6. What was her concept of being Queen at that age? What was the downside?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Majesty

She was also living through the abdication of a beloved uncle from that position - Uncle David was very much loved by his nieces at that time. What she may have been picking up on was that this man was giving up this position for some reason and also picked up the distress vibes from her parents.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
For the first time ever I wish prince Philip were not so.... Prince Philip! He should stop being so prince Philip! He really needs to stop being so prince Philip and that is all.
At this stage in his life and indeed that of his lady, Philip has to just be himself, true to himself and the life he dedicated himself to. That is who Philip is and if someone said he couldn't continue to be who he is, no longer share the workload with his wife, I think he would keel over and die like many a workaholic before him.

Honestly, can you see him spending his days feet up in front of Sky Sports watching Rugby or Soccer, swilling beer and munching crisps?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

Why would anyone want Prince Philip to stop being his strong, bold self? Living a long time is not the only value in life - indeed, a life lived well is a great value to have.

Thank goodness HM had him, all these years, to help in this arduous task. And yes, I do believe she knew from a very early age what she was expected to do. We don't really have a word in English to describe what a child must feel at age 6 to learn what their job/destiny is going to be for the rest of their life. Psychology norms itself around other children, children whose social circumstances are not so prescriptive.