Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking forward to the Documentary on 6th February, particularly the interviews with Anne, Edward and Andrew, as well as some of her grandchildren. If only Louise could answer some questions, hah.

Thank you for the articles, particularly the 60 facts.

" 45 WHEN her father unexpectedly became King, Princess Margaret, then six, said to her: “Does that mean you’re going to be queen? Poor you.” "

Poor Elizabeth, what a daunting prospect at 10, especially when your 6 year old sister feels sorry for you.

Kasumi said:
Prince Philip resumes royal engagements - Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2012 | 3:22 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Queen Elizabeth II's husband has returned to official duties following a heart procedure that saw him spend Christmas in hospital.
Prince Philip attended a fundraising dinner at Cambridge University Tuesday to support its Scott Polar Research Institute - his first official engagement since the procedure.
[...]
Tuesday's dinner was held 100 years to the day since English explorer Robert F. Scott and his expedition reached the South Pole
The prince, wearing a dark suit, joined the explorer's two granddaughters and other guests including Prince Albert of Monaco at the event supporting polar exploration.

For the first time ever I wish prince Philip were not so.... Prince Philip! He should stop being so prince Philip! He really needs to stop being so prince Philip and that is all.

:previous: Dear Prince Philip, gratefully,already has achieved quantity, but I think he has gone for quality his entire life. Let him be himself.

Last edited:
I agree. There is no changing him. Its better to just let him be. The man is definately stubborn and persistant. Have to give him credit though, he just doesnt quit. I have to admit I admire the man for his determination.

I suppose it's useless to wonder about these things, but I wonder just what Margaret saw of being a monarch that led her--at the tender age of six--to say "poor you"? Had she picked up on her father's misery at knowing that he was going to be king instead of Uncle David? Did Queen Mary's life seem particularly unhappy to a young child? Did she hear her mother expressing her horror at the idea of becoming Queen? It's an interesting statement for someone so young to make.

" 45 WHEN her father unexpectedly became King, Princess Margaret, then six, said to her: “Does that mean you’re going to be queen? Poor you.” "

Poor Elizabeth, what a daunting prospect at 10, especially when your 6 year old sister feels sorry for you.

I suppose it's useless to wonder about these things, but I wonder just what Margaret saw of being a monarch that led her--at the tender age of six--to say "poor you"? Had she picked up on her father's misery at knowing that he was going to be king instead of Uncle David? Did Queen Mary's life seem particularly unhappy to a young child? Did she hear her mother expressing her horror at the idea of becoming Queen? It's an interesting statement for someone so young to make.

I've wondered the same thing. She was only 6. What was her concept of being Queen at that age? What was the downside?

She was also living through the abdication of a beloved uncle from that position - Uncle David was very much loved by his nieces at that time. What she may have been picking up on was that this man was giving up this position for some reason and also picked up the distress vibes from her parents.

Last edited:
For the first time ever I wish prince Philip were not so.... Prince Philip! He should stop being so prince Philip! He really needs to stop being so prince Philip and that is all.
At this stage in his life and indeed that of his lady, Philip has to just be himself, true to himself and the life he dedicated himself to. That is who Philip is and if someone said he couldn't continue to be who he is, no longer share the workload with his wife, I think he would keel over and die like many a workaholic before him.

Honestly, can you see him spending his days feet up in front of Sky Sports watching Rugby or Soccer, swilling beer and munching crisps? :D

Why would anyone want Prince Philip to stop being his strong, bold self? Living a long time is not the only value in life - indeed, a life lived well is a great value to have.

Thank goodness HM had him, all these years, to help in this arduous task. And yes, I do believe she knew from a very early age what she was expected to do. We don't really have a word in English to describe what a child must feel at age 6 to learn what their job/destiny is going to be for the rest of their life. Psychology norms itself around other children, children whose social circumstances are not so prescriptive.

There's no sadder sight to see than a person who's a pale reflection of himself/herself due to age and deterioration in health, so the fact that Philip continues at his age in the manner to which he's accustomed is truly awesome. He has lived and is still living life with his usual gusto and panache, and the fact that he refuses to ease off is a testament to his will and demeanor. I think if his duties and responsibilities were denied to him as an attempt to slow him down, that's when we'd see a deterioration occurring for sure.

Last edited:
I never tire of seeing pictures of Her Majesty and children. She has a way with them.

I never tire of seeing pictures of Her Majesty and children. She has a way with them.

It is lovely and it makes you think what she is like with her grandchildren when they were younger, and how she is now with Louise and James. It's a lovely sight to see.

Good to see Philip back to work again. Isn't it true that their children will be accompanying the Queen when she does some engagements to reduce the workload of Philip? Is it just their kids or will the spouses (Camilla, Sophie and Catherine) go along with the Queen too?

:previous: I know Kate is supposed to accompany the Queen on some engagements. I don't know about the others.

I think that was just a rumor, so far no informations about Kate&QEII's joint visits.

Well we know she has now done an engagement with Anne. :)

Love the pictures of the Queen with children, she (and they) seem delighted!

I think that was just a rumor, so far no informations about Kate&QEII's joint visits.

The notice was that most of the immediate members of the Royal Family would be accompanying the Queen (not just Kate), because of the Duke being advised by his doctor to cut back on his engagements. One notice that I remember seeing was in The Telegraph, which is one of the more accurate newspapers.

The eve of the anniversary of her accession to the throne, the Queen & Duke attend a service at Sandrigham - both look very good I think

BBC

What a great video of the Queen, she looks amazing, looks quite cold too!

The eve of the anniversary of her accession to the throne, the Queen & Duke attend a service at Sandrigham - both look very good I think

BBC

Thank you for the videos :flowers:. It looks like winter wonderland over there, and Her Majesty and the Duke did look absolutely fabulous. I'm happy to see that people turned out to see their monarch and consort, especially on the eve of her accession, which is a bittersweet occasion no doubt.

This picture was posted on my twitter, and I found it to be sweet and lighthearted. Always nice to receive some candy :D.

https://twitter.com/#!/SkyNewsRoyal/status/166163149848977408/photo/1

"The 30-year-old Duchess is to accompany the Queen on two Diamond Jubilee engagements next month, and a courtier says: ‘The Queen is taking a very close interest in the Duchess’s development.

The engagements they will carry out together promise to be invaluable learning opportunities for Kate, as well as being a real honour.’"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom