Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 25: April 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You Dman!! I guess I need to hit my bed here at the hotel then.

Do we know how he got the black eye? Was it an accident or is it random bruising?

Do we know how he got the black eye? Was it an accident or is it random bruising?

The BBC report says

It is understood that Prince Philip, 91, did not fall and simply woke up with the bruising a few days ago.

The BBC report says

It is understood that Prince Philip, 91, did not fall and simply woke up with the bruising a few days ago.

I read that sentence 2 or 3 times in the BBC report and it simply didn't sink in - for some reason I was thinking that they were saying that he didn't fall out of bed and wake up with the bruise, making me go "okay, but how'd the bruise happen?"

Hopefully it just means he needs more iron in his diet and isn't a sign of something more serious. It's my understanding that random bruising isn't typically a good sign.

Maybe he was snoring and she nudged him in the face by mistake! :)

First off, thank you Dman for the time for when things started at Queen's Park earlier today. I had sent an E-mail to the Press Officer at Rideau Hall earlier this week for information, since w/my eye disease, I wanted to know first if this was open to the Public and then second, when would be the best time to show up to make sure I was in a good spot w/a clear view of HRH and she never did return my E-mail. So factor in that and the very limited information I could find, and believe me I *looked*, and I was really thinking last night I'd missed my last chance to ever see the Duke of Edinburgh on Canadian soil.

So Thank You so much for helping me last night Dman.

Secondly...WOW!!! For someone like me who was an in their mid 40's "surprise" to my Parents and was raised listening to the various stories of my Uncle and Cousin and their experiences both in Italy and Holland during WWII *and* also attending Veterans Events since I was very little and soaking it all in, so I *love* events like this. I've never seen the presenting of new Regimental Colours live before however and it was very moving to know, not only how much this means to the Men and Women of the RCR, but also to see History happening right in front of me.

When everything started, it was slightly overcast and even at one point I was worried rain was about to start, but not only did it stay away, *but* when HRH presented the new Colour is when the Sun came out. I heard someone behind me say, "If this was part of a movie, people would either roll their eyes or say something about a cheesy moment." I thought the exact same thing too, so...It *was* perfect timing though. :D

Another surprise was the Parade after the Presentation of the new Colours to mark the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of York as part of the War of 1812. Once again, did not know that was happening either, so was a lovely surprise.

Also the only time I will ever have the chance to stand right out on University Ave and not get mowed down by the Traffic usually there. :D

It more than likely won't be until next Tuesday before I get my pictures up over at my Photobucket account, as my camera and the laptop do *not* like each other very much and I'll only be as far as my Sister's Wednesday and then home on Friday. I did get some really good pictures of HRH, the Ceremony and the Parade and I can't wait to share them all w/you.

The *really* great part of this though? The son of very, very good Family Friends of ours served in the RCR for close to ten years and would still be a Serving Member, but then he did a Tour over in Afghanistan and knew if he stayed, he would have to do another Tour and....He just couldn't. He's still dealing w/all that he saw over there and did, at least he's finally talking about it w/thanks to some Korean Vets in our area, but for the first couple of years after he came home it was touch and go if the PTSD would win or he would.

Anyway....I thought even if I didn't get any good pictures of HRH, at the very least I could do my best to get some good ones of the Ceremony for him and if he's interested and wants copies, then I can certainly do that. After all, it really is the very least I can do for him after all he's been through.

Sigh....I still can't believe I got to see him and all of the Ceremony that went along w/it. It's been a *really* stressful year w/my Dad's health steadily going downhill and then it went up by a factor of Ten Thousand w/my Mom breaking her ankle a month and two weeks ago, so I was looking forward to my Stars on Ice weekend in Toronto more than I have in a long, long time. Got to see an awesome show at the Air Canada Centre last night and then HRH and another awesome show this morning at Queen's Park.

Sigh...What a Holiday so far and I've still got three more days down here too. :D

Well, I'm glad I was actually able to help you, Tiggersk8.

I watched the event and found it moving but also to see Prince Philip present the new colors. God bless, he's 91 and really frail now but he made sure he made it over to Canada for this event. Very nice of him and I'm sure The Queen is proud of him for gathering up the strength to do it.

I read that sentence 2 or 3 times in the BBC report and it simply didn't sink in - for some reason I was thinking that they were saying that he didn't fall out of bed and wake up with the bruise, making me go "okay, but how'd the bruise happen?"

Hopefully it just means he needs more iron in his diet and isn't a sign of something more serious. It's my understanding that random bruising isn't typically a good sign.

Since the Duke of Edinburgh's heart procedure in December 2011, he is likely to be on some medications to 'thin the blood'.
These make bruising underneath the skin quite common, just with the slightest knock, or even sometimes spontaneously.
Hopefully that's all it is - he still looks in fantastic shape!

It's artistic and creative.

I dont think its awful. I'd like to see the actual painting rather than reproduction on stamps (print process can play havoc). Her painting of William and Harry ( which I have seen at the NPG) is outstanding.

It is the Queen in old age and I think she looks dignified, regal and real.

Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

First off, thank you Dman for the time for when things started at Queen's Park earlier today. I had sent an E-mail to the Press Officer at Rideau Hall earlier this week for information, since w/my eye disease, I wanted to know first if this was open to the Public and then second, when would be the best time to show up to make sure I was in a good spot w/a clear view of HRH and she never did return my E-mail. So factor in that and the very limited information I could find, and believe me I *looked*, and I was really thinking last night I'd missed my last chance to ever see the Duke of Edinburgh on Canadian soil.

So Thank You so much for helping me last night Dman.

Secondly...WOW!!! For someone like me who was an in their mid 40's "surprise" to my Parents and was raised listening to the various stories of my Uncle and Cousin and their experiences both in Italy and Holland during WWII *and* also attending Veterans Events since I was very little and soaking it all in, so I *love* events like this. I've never seen the presenting of new Regimental Colours live before however and it was very moving to know, not only how much this means to the Men and Women of the RCR, but also to see History happening right in front of me.

When everything started, it was slightly overcast and even at one point I was worried rain was about to start, but not only did it stay away, *but* when HRH presented the new Colour is when the Sun came out. I heard someone behind me say, "If this was part of a movie, people would either roll their eyes or say something about a cheesy moment." I thought the exact same thing too, so...It *was* perfect timing though. :D

Another surprise was the Parade after the Presentation of the new Colours to mark the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of York as part of the War of 1812. Once again, did not know that was happening either, so was a lovely surprise.

Also the only time I will ever have the chance to stand right out on University Ave and not get mowed down by the Traffic usually there. :D

It more than likely won't be until next Tuesday before I get my pictures up over at my Photobucket account, as my camera and the laptop do *not* like each other very much and I'll only be as far as my Sister's Wednesday and then home on Friday. I did get some really good pictures of HRH, the Ceremony and the Parade and I can't wait to share them all w/you.

The *really* great part of this though? The son of very, very good Family Friends of ours served in the RCR for close to ten years and would still be a Serving Member, but then he did a Tour over in Afghanistan and knew if he stayed, he would have to do another Tour and....He just couldn't. He's still dealing w/all that he saw over there and did, at least he's finally talking about it w/thanks to some Korean Vets in our area, but for the first couple of years after he came home it was touch and go if the PTSD would win or he would.

Anyway....I thought even if I didn't get any good pictures of HRH, at the very least I could do my best to get some good ones of the Ceremony for him and if he's interested and wants copies, then I can certainly do that. After all, it really is the very least I can do for him after all he's been through.

Sigh....I still can't believe I got to see him and all of the Ceremony that went along w/it. It's been a *really* stressful year w/my Dad's health steadily going downhill and then it went up by a factor of Ten Thousand w/my Mom breaking her ankle a month and two weeks ago, so I was looking forward to my Stars on Ice weekend in Toronto more than I have in a long, long time. Got to see an awesome show at the Air Canada Centre last night and then HRH and another awesome show this morning at Queen's Park.

Sigh...What a Holiday so far and I've still got three more days down here too. :D

Thank you for sharing your experience. Will you share your pictures?

Oh, that is quite awful :eek:.

I see a hint of laughter just below the surface wanting to come out. The Queen has the most wonderful sunny smile when she is around people - it's hard to keep that hidden.

Cover the hair and it looks like Churchill. The shape of the face is not right for her majesty

That's what I thought - she looks like Churchill crossed with Angela Lansbury! :eek:

A very touching story. Funny how we don't even hear or see any pictures of the Ghillies’ Ball these days. Is this event still held today?

From diamond crown jewels to a humble headscarf (though it IS Hermes): A day in the life of the Queen as she dashes from State Opening of Parliament to rainy Windsor Horse Show | Mail Online

Just this morning, the Queen attended the Opening of Parliament dressed in her full State finery.
The Imperial State Crown was perched on her perfect candyfloss curls and her diminutive figure was shrouded in the impressive 18ft fur-trimmed Robe Of State.
Hours later though, the monarch cut a very different figure as she hunkered down under a headscarf (Hermes, naturally) and navy raincoat against the grim British weather.
At times, as the rain drizzled down and the corners of her headscarf blew about in the breeze, the monarch's mouth was set in a grim line.
But appearances can be deceiving and the Queen, attending the first day of the Windsor Horse Show, would likely have been in her element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom