Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 25: April 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My proverbial hat goes off to Prince Philip. He has the energy I lack in my early 30s. I hope he continues to do what he loves, which is keeping busy, and supporting his wife and country.

My proverbial hat goes off to Prince Philip. He has the energy I lack in my early 30s. I hope he continues to do what he loves, which is keeping busy, and supporting his wife and country.

I totally agree with you here. This is a man that can probably put just about any man 20 years younger than he to shame. It totally amazes me how physically and mentally fit Philip is for a 92 years young gentleman. :flowers:

Video:
King Tupou VI and Queen Nanasipau'u visited Queen Elizabeth II today at Buckingham Palace in London. Tonga's King and Queen are currently visiting the city in preparation for Tupou VI's coronation next year, according to a statement from the Prime Minister's Office today-
Home - ITNSource News

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 23m
The Queen has voiced her concern about children being attracted to computer games and e-books rather than reading traditional paper books.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 22m
The monarch told Chocolat author Joanne Harris 'she feared that children were playing with those [games] more than they were reading books'.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 19m
Unusual for the Queen to openly express an opinion on such an issue, but sure to touch a nerve with many parents and grandparents

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 18m
The Queen spoke as she awarded Chocolat author Harris an MBE for services to literature at Buckingham Palace today

Last edited:
Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 23m
The Queen has voiced her concern about children being attracted to computer games and e-books rather than reading traditional paper books.

I definitely agree with her concern of children spending more time on computer games than reading books.
But reading e-books than traditional paper books is nothing wrong. She may end up getting called outdated..JMO.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 19m
Unusual for the Queen to openly express an opinion on such an issue, but sure to touch a nerve with many parents and grandparents

She has not expressed this openly. Its just the person to whom she spoke came out and told the media..If everyone starts doing so, then we may have a book on Queen's opinions and views..

Video:
Prince Philip attended his 500th Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award presentation at St James's Palace today. The Duke founded the programme more than 50 years ago to inspire, guide and support young people between the ages of 14 and 24. More than eight million people have taken part across the world, and nearly 900,000 young people are currently participating in the award and others based on it in some 140 countries and territories-
Home - ITNSource News

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 3h
Prince Philip attends his 500th Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Award presentation. pic.twitter.com/H0L04ig9yM

Last edited:
:previous: HM met with the new Ambassador to Italy, Pasquale Terracciano, during an audience at Buckingham Palace today (October 16th):

http://www.royal.gov.uk/List Images/Latest News/Oct13/ln 16Oct13 aud2(443x388).jpg
http://www.royal.gov.uk/List Images/Latest News/Oct13/ln 16Oct13 aud1(443x388).jpg

She also spoke with members of the European Parliament at Buckingham Palace yesterday (October 15th). Prince Philip was present too:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/List Images/Latest News/Oct13/LN Oct13 DE MPs3.jpg
http://www.royal.gov.uk/List Images/Latest News/Oct13/LN Oct13 DE MPs1.jpg

On the same day she and Philip hosted a reception at Buckingham Palace for MPs and MEPs:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/List Images/Latest News/Oct13/LN Oct13 DE MPs2.jpg

NB: All photos and information are from the official website of the BRF.

Last edited:

Yesterday, October 17, Queen Elizabeth met Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan Vaughn Schofield during an audience at Buckingham Palace.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And today, October 18, the Duke of Edinburgh attended the renaming ceremony for 'The City Of Adelaide' clipper ship at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Prince Philip at a Clipper Ship Renaming Ceremony **

As Patron of The Forty Club the Duke of Edinburgh attended the annual dinner at Lord's Cricket Ground that evening:

** thefortyclub.co.uk: The 2013 Annual Dinner at Lord’s **

Last edited:
How is one feeling the morning after, ma'am? Queen appears fresh-faced at National Theatre event following a late night dinner date with Prince Phillip-
The Queen is fresh-faced following a late night date with Phillip | Mail Online

The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh looked great last night. Nice to know they went out to dinner.

It just proves you are never too old for a Date Night. How wonderful and didn't Phillip look fantastic? It's terrific they were able to have a night on the town. :)

There is a error at the beginning of the article where it says Great-Great Grandmother. The Queen doesn't have any great great grandchildrens.

There is a error at the beginning of the article where it says Great-Great Grandmother. The Queen doesn't have any great great grandchildrens.

It's one of many. It's also The Daily Mail therefore...

With HM in pretty good health and the history of longevity in the family, I'd have to add the word "yet" to your sentence. :ROFLMAO:

Considering Savannah is going on 3, I would think the queen is happy just to be a great grandmother at this point. :)

Video:
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the National Theatre in London today to celebrate its 50th anniversary ahead of a Gala performance in November-
Home - ITNSource News

Pictures:
The Queen And The Duke Of Edinburgh Visit The National Theatre-
The Queen And The Duke Of Edinburgh Visit The National Theatre - Pictures - Zimbio

How is one feeling the morning after, ma'am? Queen appears fresh-faced at National Theatre event following a late night dinner date with Prince Phillip-
The Queen is fresh-faced following a late night date with Phillip | Mail Online

The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh looked great last night. Nice to know they went out to dinner.

First-Love the pictures. The Queen looked divine in that outfit. Lady Olliver's hair and shades- :eek: The Queen inspecting that horse.:cool:
Second- Love that the Queen and Prince Philip got to go on a date night.:D Phillip looked so handsome in the tux.:) Loved the photo from the theater engagement where Her Majesty is looking at a replica of the coronation chair.:D:cool:

It just proves you are never too old for a Date Night. How wonderful and didn't Phillip look fantastic? It's terrific they were able to have a night on the town. :)

I agree with you completely. It's so important to have a 'date night' in order to reconnect, and just be. So glad that Her Majesty and His Highness are able to do that.

Video:
Queen Receives Korean Ambassador at Buckingham Palace-
Home - ITNSource News

Must be very nice to arrive in an open carriage at Buckingham Palace.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 7m
All roads leading up to Buckingham Palace have been closed this morning because of the storm.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 7m
The Queen, who spends weekends at Windsor Castle, is supposed to return to Buckingham Palace at around mid-day today.

@RoyalCentral: The President of Afghanistan is to call upon The Queen at Buckingham Palace today, it’s announced. The President arrived in the UK on Monday

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h
The Queen has given her approval to a new Royal Charter which Britain's press has vowed to resist because it amounts to state regulation.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h
The Queen has given her approval to a new Royal Charter which Britain's press has vowed to resist because it amounts to state regulation.

I admit I had no idea what was the issue with this issue.

It may deserve it's own thread if people want to discuss it.

My summary, after some reading is that people generally agreed that some News agencies had exceeded acceptable bounds over the last couple of years (the whole cell phone tapping scandal and violations of national security that arose out of it).
To fix this, Nick Clegg and the privy council issued a Royal Warrant for News agencies that want to abide by voluntary rules to play nice. The voluntary rules seem to go a bit far to many news agencies and impede a free press. Democracies do flourish with a free press.
Using the voluntary Royal Warrant was an unusual way to address the issue (and kept the usual democratic voices of parliament out of the solution).
So - it is a big kerfuffle.
Sorry to my friends in the UK if I oversimplified this. I did want to understand why the Queen was being branded a foul enemy of democracy.

I admit I had no idea what was the issue with this issue. It may deserve it's own thread if people want to discuss it. My summary, after some reading is that people generally agreed that some News agencies had exceeded acceptable bounds over the last couple of years (the whole cell phone tapping scandal and violations of national security that arose out of it). To fix this, Nick Clegg and the privy council issued a Royal Warrant for News agencies that want to abide by voluntary rules to play nice. The voluntary rules seem to go a bit far to many news agencies and impede a free press. Democracies do flourish with a free press. Using the voluntary Royal Warrant was an unusual way to address the issue (and kept the usual democratic voices of parliament out of the solution). So - it is a big kerfuffle. Sorry to my friends in the UK if I oversimplified this. I did want to understand why the Queen was being branded a foul enemy of democracy.

The thing some don't understand is that the Queen act on the advice of her ministers

The Press will scream 'blue murder' sbout this, but get scant sympathy from the public who are wholly disgusted with its antics in recent years and who {in any case} largely get their 'news' in other forms than the print media these days.

Only today the ex editor of the discredited and defunct 'News of the World' went to trial...So the new arrangement is well timed...

The Press will scream 'blue murder' sbout this, but get scant sympathy from the public who are wholly disgusted with its antics in recent years and who {in any case} largely get their 'news' in other forms than the print media these days. Only today the ex editor of the discredited and defunct 'News of the World' went to trial...So the new arrangement is well timed...

Agree and most Newspapers in the U.K are tabloids centric nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom