Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 8: September-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

Dame Helen Mirren has spoken of playing the Queen

She says, "The Queen is not grumpy. I think she's a person who is genuine, she refuses to be fake. She's steady, true, honest and British."
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a...Greenhill/1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/SamGreenhill/1.jpg

The Hairstyle is very wrong and the Queen always wears three strings of pearls but you can see who Helen is meant to be and I'm sure that her
acting skills will make it totally obvious.

The specs are a little too big and her face a little bit too young but the earrings are spot on.

Last edited:
actress mirren's queen unveiled

o.gif
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/entertainment_enl_1127304538/html/1.stm
The actress was given the Queen's trademark hairstyle
inline_dashed_line.gif

The first pictures of Dame Helen Mirren playing Her Majesty The Queen have been released, ahead of a new film about the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4267736.stm

Oh, good grief, not another film about the death of Diana!

Elspeth said:
Oh, good grief, not another film about the death of Diana!

But this one will be interesting imho because from what I understand it's more from the queen's perspective, not to mention that Helen is a superb actress. I hope she won't dissapoint us and I have my fingers crossed that they will show it here in the US

BeatrixFan said:
The Hairstyle is very wrong and the Queen always wears three strings of pearls but you can see who Helen is meant to be and I'm sure that her
acting skills will make it totally obvious.

Actually the queen does wear two strings/strands of pearls frequently, I've seen her in plenty of pics wearing 2 strands. I do think that Helen should have perhaps put on some weight or something because she does look way thinner than the queen.

susan alicia said:
the subject never tires, as visible on TRF too :D

The life and death of Diana is something that has touched some people quite deeply. When one has been touched by someone whether they be an ordinary person or an icon, One will never forget. This seems to be the thing that many people forget about and continue to moan about Diana still being talked about after 8 years. While I deplore all the gossipy tell alls that cash in on her legacy, there are a number of us who love Diana for herself and will continue to do so. She is not going away, no matter how much one wishes for it.

If I never saw another news article or picture of Camilla I would be thrilled. However, it isn't going to happen much to my chagrin.

one does not moan and one does not wish her to be forgotten

tiaraprin said:
The life and death of Diana is something that has touched some people quite deeply. When one has been touched by someone whether they be an ordinary person or an icon, One will never forget. This seems to be the thing that many people forget about and continue to moan about Diana still being talked about after 8 years. While I deplore all the gossipy tell alls that cash in on her legacy, there are a number of us who love Diana for herself and will continue to do so. She is not going away, no matter how much one wishes for it.

If I never saw another news article or picture of Camilla I would be thrilled. However, it isn't going to happen much to my chagrin.

It would be nice if people didn't try to make Diana the subject of threads that have nothing to do with her. This is a thread about the Current Events of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip.

Elise27 said:
Actually the queen does wear two strings/strands of pearls frequently, I've seen her in plenty of pics wearing 2 strands. I do think that Helen should have perhaps put on some weight or something because she does look way thinner than the queen.

I think part of the problem is that Helen Mirren's face is longer than the Queen's, more rectangular-shaped, while the Queen's face is more square.

ysbel said:
It would be nice if people didn't try to make Diana the subject of threads that have nothing to do with her. This is a thread about the Current Events of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip.

The subject was brought up by those speaking about the new movie about Diana from the Queen's perspective. Hence, there are comments and responses to those comments.

No brooch??

iowabelle said:
I think part of the problem is that Helen Mirren's face is longer than the Queen's, more rectangular-shaped, while the Queen's face is more square.
My problem with Helen Mirren in the photograph is that there is no diamond brooch. A brooch would look very regal against the dark material of her dress. And as we all know, The Queen always wear a brooch when she is dressed up.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a...Greenhill/1.jpg

I understand that the subject of Diana was raised because the telemovie is about the week of her death and funeral. However, I think we could agree that an opinion on the Duchess of Cornwall's media coverage was extraneous to both the topic under discussion and to this thread.

Warren

Queen's representative says final goodbye

1. Outgoing Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, right, laughs with Prime Minister Paul Martin during a farewell ceremony in Ottawa, Monday, Sept. 26, 2005. Queen Elizabeth II's new representative in Canada, Michaelle Jean, a refugee from Haiti, will be sworn into the post on Tuesday. Jean will be the first black and only the third woman to hold the title of governor general. (AP Photo/CP, Jonathan Hayward)
2. Outgoing Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, right, is presented with the Vice Regal flag by Prime Minister Paul Martin during a farewell ceremony being held for her on Parliament Hill by parliamentarians, in Ottawa, Monday, Sept, 26, 2005. (AP Photo/CP, Jonathan Hayward)

All pictures from Yahoo

Michaelle Jean will be sworn as Canada's 27th Governor General amid pomp and ceremony this morning in Ottawa. For those interested, the live webcast can be seen here at 11:00am eastern time (about 8 hours from now)
http://www.gg.ca/menu_e.asp

Photo from ANP

I think that Helen Mirren does not really look like The Queen in her the film, absolutely not much, just a little bit, in her face nothing looks like The Queen on her face maybe just the hair and the hat, especially her eyes make her more and more does not look like to The Queen and also Helen is so thin, i think The Queen looks a little more fat than Helen. Absolutely nothing look like The Queen, you can see pictures:

i got a biography of QEII, the 1st chapter is also the death of Diana. i don't meant to be rude, but i'm just tired of seeing it everywhere.

HM does wear a 3 strands of pearls very often, and a pair of pearl earrings to go with it. i guess it's a special gift from her parents or Prince Philip that she loves very much.

florawindsor said:
i got a biography of QEII, the 1st chapter is also the death of Diana. i don't meant to be rude, but i'm just tired of seeing it everywhere.

HM does wear a 3 strands of pearls very often, and a pair of pearl earrings to go with it. i guess it's a special gift from her parents or Prince Philip that she loves very much.

Is the book ELIZABETH II - 50 Glorious Years?

I bought the book around four years ago and if I recall rightly, it too started with the late Princesses death. Overall, I enjoyed the book.

Now, did you mean that you are tired of the "Diana saga" (If I can say that without offending) or that Her Majesty wears three rows of cultured pearls and button earings?

I just wasn't sure which one you meant thats all.lol. ;)

The Pearls HM wears are part of the the King George V Jubilee Necklace's. When King George V celebrated his Silver Jubilee, on 6 May 1935, he gave his two granddaughters their first serious pieces of jewellery. Princess Elizabeth was given three perfectly matched rows (the ones we so often see around Her Majesty's décolletage), and Princess Margaret, being four years younger, two rows.

Other pearls we have seen Her Majesty sport are the Queen Anne & the Queen Caroline Necklaces. The then Princess Elizabeth wore two rows of the Queen Caroline Collection to her wedding 1947.

"MII"

I adore Dame Helen Mirren. If anyone could ever be suited to play the role of Her Majesty, Dame Helen is their lady.

Indeed, we needed the Brooch Warren.lol. You read my mind. Maybe the Cullinan VII & Cullinan VIII Brooch? Yes, I think that would have done quite nicely.

"MII"

thank you MII for the information, i started to collect HM's pictures a year ago, and then i found that she wore that special pearl necklace very often. i've been wondering where she got that since then. thanks for solving my mystery.

the book i mentioned is Queen and Country by William something, i don't know his surname cuz i got the translated version of the book, not the original.

oh, i'm tired of the saga(no offence). i guess i should use the word tired of 'reading' it everywhere. though i also wish to see HM wear more jewels other than the pearl necklace, she has so many beautiful jewels, it will be a total waste if she doesn't wear them.

florawindsor said:
thank you MII for the information, i started to collect HM's pictures a year ago, and then i found that she wore that special pearl necklace very often. i've been wondering where she got that since then. thanks for solving my mystery.

the book i mentioned is Queen and Country by William something, i don't know his surname cuz i got the translated version of the book, not the original.

oh, i'm tired of the saga(no offence). i guess i should use the word tired of 'reading' it everywhere. though i also wish to see HM wear more jewels other than the pearl necklace, she has so many beautiful jewels, it will be a total waste if she doesn't wear them.

You are most welcome my dear florawindsor,

Ahh, William Shawcross. Yes, I am familiar with Queen & Country (also a British BBC documentary series in commemoration with Her Majesty's Golden Jubille. I have both the book and series. Great insight).

I sympathise with your feelings in regards to the late Princess of Wales (most respectively). It seems (to me) that there cant really be a conversation concerning the the British Monarchy where Diana isnt made part of the equation. I do wish for Diana's sake and that of the House of Windsor (or Mountbatten Windsor - whichever you prefer), that we should look to the future instead of over our shoulders all the time. Lets remember her for her humanitarian efforts, her strong will, love and dedication to her boys and the masses. But when will she ever be allowed to rest?

As for Her Majesty's love of pearls. Indeed, this is no secret.lol. It seems a tad odd, that for a Lady (most respectively) who possess one of the worlds most luxurious and pricelss jewel collections, that she is not really open to the idea of "mix" and "matching". But Her Majesty is a stickler for being mundane, and I doubt if she shall change her ways now at the age of 79.lol.

But we love her nonetheless!

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
I adore Dame Helen Mirren. If anyone could ever be suited to play the role of Her Majesty, Dame Helen is their lady.

"MII"
Helen should have gained weight like I said, but from those pictures from rex I can already tell that helen will do a great job, I believe in the picture she is biting her lip much like the queen does and seems to be walking like the queen walks/

Helen is a great actress - she'll do a great job. I'd rather have someone good than someone who just looks like the Queen and can't play her-if you know what I mean. :)

Indeed, the shape of Dame Helen's face is nowhere near round enough for Her Majesty. She does gaze in the same way, and is accurately raising her eyebrows when looking down, but if I think of her as Her Majesty, I can't help but think that she's frail and unwell.

I'm sure though that Dame Helen shall triumph in the role, and eagerly await seeing it.

Queen Elizabeth II arrives at Aberdeen Children's Hospital on October 4 2005, Aberdeen, Scotland. The Queen toured the new facility and officially unveiled a plaque during official engagements in north east Scotland

From getty

Attachments

• 55849245.jpg
    55849245.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 55849251.jpg
    55849251.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 55849259.jpg
    55849259.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 55849274.jpg
    55849274.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 291
HM looks simply wonderful, the outfit suits her very well. I wonder if she chose to wear purple because of the recent death of Lord Bradbourne. The picture of the queen with the man who seems to be explaining the sport is funny. He's all into it but the queen's expression seems to be saying "I don't get it" she just doesnt seem very impressed.

The Queen looks great in that color. And as for the picture of the "sport", curling (the sports name) is a very difficult sport to master. My husband is from Minnesota and they play up there all the time, so from time to time we watch it on TV, we've been together for 7 years and I'm just now getting the hang of watching it.

The first time I saw curling on tv I had very much the same expression on my face as the queen. But yes it does seem rather difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom