Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 7: July-September 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=360793&in_page_id=1770

Queen lends £750,000 jewel to Exeter

13:18pm 30th August 2005

Classy condiments: The Queen's £750,000 salt container

The Queen has allowed one of the Crown Jewels on display in the Tower of London to be loaned to the city that presented it to King Charles II in 1660.
The Exeter Salt, a priceless 18in high jewel-encrusted salt container, will form the centrepiece of an exhibition in Exeter, Devon.

I'm going to be in Devon while it's on display there; I must see if I have time to go and have a look at it.

Bravo to the Queen for her show of empathy on this occasion. I have to say, I'm becoming more of a monarchist every day after seeing the surprisingly warm reactions of the British royal family to tragedies like the London bombings and this terrible, terrible hurricane.

EU drivels (sorry, no other word)

Brussels wants immigrants to swear allegiance to EU
By Anthony Browne, Brussels Correspondent
trans.gif
IMMIGRANTS to Britain will have to swear an oath of allegiance to EU laws and the European Charter of Fundamental Rights, rather than the Queen, under a proposal announced by Brussels. The European Commission also announced measures to counter illegal immigration across Europe and others to promote integration of legal immigrants. NI_MPU('middle');Franco Frattini, the European Commissioner for justice and security, proposed an “oath of faithfulness” requiring all immigrants to the EU to swear allegiance to the union. He said: “One can get every immigrant to somehow declare they will respect national law, EU law and the Charter of Fundamental Rights.”

Full Article

As an Italian citizen (Italy is in the UE) I'm disgusted. I think they're are trying to create a kind of United States of Europe. :sick:

I'll bet Tony Blair will be in full support. Anything to undermine the monarchy seems just fine with him.

Although why immigrants can't swear allegiance to their new country as well as to the EU is, I suppose, just one of those cosmic mysteries.

ic CheshireOnline

Prince is beaten by mum-of-two
Sep 2 2005
By Selena O'Donnell, Chester Chronicle

TRIUMPHING over royalty is something few people manage in a lifetime but it's becoming a habit for one sportswoman.

Ursula Hirschberg, a mum-of-two of Little Budworth has competed against Prince Phillip in horse driving trials across the country and has come out on top more than once. ... http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_objectid=15923119&method=full&siteid=50020&headline=prince-is-beaten-by-mum-of-two--name_page.html

Elspeth said:
Although why immigrants can't swear allegiance to their new country as well as to the EU is, I suppose, just one of those cosmic mysteries.
Since the UK is part of the EU, when swearing allegiance to the UK they swear allegiance to the EU.
The proposition, in addition of beeing insulting, just doesn't make sense.
Furthermore, I cannot possibly imagine how an UK immigrant can construct a feeling of national belonging when his new ''supreme reference'' turns out to be a cold and bureaucratic institution who isn't even situated in his/her adoption country.
I choose the Queen (a real and wonderful human) any day.

I think the idea that immigrants to Great Britain would have to swear allegiance to the EUrather than to the Queen is ludicrous. The Queen is a symbol of the British nation, an independent and proud country which, honestly, doesn't owe anything to mainland Europe. We all know that what those elitist bureaucrats with gabardine for brains in Brussels want is not what the people of Britain or even of the countries of Europe want (case in point, the defeat of the EU constitution in France and the Netherlands and the strong opposition in Great Britain).

I may be wrong, but I think Muslims have to put allegiance to their religion and fellow Muslims before allegiance to any government, so either they wouldn't take the oath, or it would be meaningless.

I wonder how many people born in the UK would be happy to take an oath to the EU? Perhaps they should sort that out first.

A Thank You to Her Majesty, The Queen

grecka said:
Bravo to the Queen for her show of empathy on this occasion. I have to say, I'm becoming more of a monarchist every day after seeing the surprisingly warm reactions of the British royal family to tragedies like the London bombings and this terrible, terrible hurricane.

I would like to thank Her Majesty, The Queen for sending condolences to my country in a time of great devestation and sorrow.

Things are not going well in the aftermath of this national disaster and our Federal Government have still not come to our people's aid. Private Citizens and Corporations have done more.

The Braemar Royal Highland Gathering
The queen, phillip and Wills
Source: Getty Images

Attachments

• wills y la reina.jpg
    wills y la reina.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 715
  • wills en bramear.jpg
    wills en bramear.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 226
The excitment of HRH The Prince Philip, is just wonderful! On the edge of his seat, teech clenched in the style of a passionate spectator! Oh, and he's got his kilt on too..

Von Schlesian said:
The excitment of HRH The Prince Philip, is just wonderful! On the edge of his seat, teech clenched in the style of a passionate spectator! Oh, and he's got his kilt on too..
And that's just watching the march past.
Imagine what he would be like during the actual games!

:) W

On the other hand William doesn't look particularly interested.
I wonder when he'll start to wear a kilt. It's time! :rolleyes:

Elspeth said:
Well, obviously while the Queen is still alive, Charles isn't going to be the most important member of the royal family, however much the Queen tries to give him prominent things to do. If Tony Blair didn't want to come and do the honours and help make it a state occasion, it's hardly Charles's fault. As far as medals are concerned, I don't think the Queen saw active service in the war apart from a few months in the ATS, when she was living at Windsor and was chauffeured to the ATS camp every day, but people didn't complain when she showed up at the Trooping the Colour ceremony with a chest full of medals. If they wanted someone whose medals meant something, perhaps they could have sent Prince Philip, but no doubt Amanda Platell would then be complaining that the Queen thought so little of the event that she couldn't send herself or her heir. You just can't do it right for some people.

Why doesn't she get over it? of course it would have been wonderful for her to be there, but she can't be in two places at once. She's pretty amazing, but she isn't superwoman!:rolleyes:

Queen Elizabeth to become patron of Holocaust Memorial Day Trust
Sep 6, 2005, 13:42 GMT
Britain's Queen Elizabeth is to become the patron of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust.
From http://people.monstersandcritics.co... rial_Day_Trust

Little Leo upstages PM in an audience with the Queen
STEPHEN MCGINTY
LIKE father, like son. When it comes to upstaging the Royal family, young Leo Blair, the Prime Minister's five-year-old son, is learning fast.

Leo Blair steals show at church with the Queen
By Auslan Cramb, Scottish Correspondent
(Filed: 05/09/2005)
Leo Blair stole the show yesterday when his mother and father took him to church with the Queen.
From :http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/09/05/nleo05.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/09/05/ixhome.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh received The Governor General Designate of Canada Michaelle Jean, her daughter Mlle Marie-Eden Lafond and her husband Jean-Daniel Lafond at Balmoral Castle on Tuesday September 6th.
Pictures from Abacausa Press:

I think the Governor General's daughter has something with her health or her body that she could not stand or walk, poor her!she still a child, she looks really innocent but has to get a bad sickness.

Attachments

• 401694.jpg
    401694.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 401696.jpg
    401696.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 401697.jpg
    401697.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 401698.jpg
    401698.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 187
HMQueenElizabethII said:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh received The Governor General Designate of Canada Michaelle Jean, her daughter Mlle Marie-Eden Lafond and her husband Jean-Daniel Lafond at Balmoral Castle on Tuesday September 6th.
What a lovely meeting, they all looked very relaxed and holiday-ish, but not too "casual" either, since it's a special meeting. The Queen looks so adorable, and always with her handbag in a steady grip! :)

HMQUEENELIZABETHII don't think there is anything wrong with the child. She was just being shy. You can see she was putting mother's arms around her. The tv footage I saw on the news when it was first anounced she was walking just fine. THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS!

The queen looks very good but it's odd too see her reaching out to the child, she never does that,, she has been growing more relaxed over the years.

CATS said:
HMQUEENELIZABETHII don't think there is anything wrong with the child. She was just being shy. You can see she was putting mother's arms around her. The tv footage I saw on the news when it was first anounced she was walking just fine. THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS!

You are right CATS, Marie-Eden was probably very shy or she's tired of the adults' talk. Considering she's only about 6 or 7 and that her first language is French, she might also not understand English very well because our school programs are poor at teaching second languages, not to mention the British accent.

actually the Queen speaks French so wouldnt she be conversing with Madame Jean and her husband in French? I saw a recent documentary in which she was talking in French with President Chirac and his wife.
As for Madame Jean's daughter, I think she's just a little shy and fidgety like many children her age who are forced to stand still for sometime and pose for the cameras.
I remember when her mother's appointment was announced, she was the same way. Her mom and then her dad had to keep their arms around her to make her stop moving. It must've been very boring for a child her age. Infact before that I remember watching the appointment of an official by President Bush and that person's two little kids were present as well. It was so funny, they wouldnt stop moving and finally had to be taken out of the room because they were too distracting for the cameras.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Infact before that I remember watching the appointment of an official by President Bush and that person's two little kids were present as well. It was so funny, they wouldnt stop moving and finally had to be taken out of the room because they were too distracting for the cameras.

The antsy children were the young children of our Supreme Court Chief Justice nominee, John Roberts.

Children aren't made to be taken to serious events like that. They don't like it, and rarely do they behave well.

iowabelle said:
The antsy children were the young children of our Supreme Court Chief Justice nominee, John Roberts.

Children aren't made to be taken to serious events like that. They don't like it, and rarely do they behave well.

thanx
I remember the footage was shown on several networks and even Jon Stewart made fun of it. I thought it was quite embarassing. I agree, children of that age shouldnt be taken to such events, especially when you have the whole country watching you on tv. If the kids have to be present then maybe they should be seated somewhere else or made to stand away from the camera lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom