Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 4: December 2004-March 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elspeth

Former Moderator
City
Country
United States
I thought it would be appropriate to start a new thread with the Queen's message to the governments and people of the countries affected by the earthquakes and tsunami on 26 December.

The message, which was sent to the Foreign Secretary, reads:

I was deeply saddened to learn of the dreadful situation in Asia following this morning's earthquake. Please would you convey my concern and condolences to the governments of all the countries that have been affected, and my sympathies to the families of all those who have been killed, and to those who have been injured.

ELIZABETH R

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The old thread can be found here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3295

Yes,i also have the same opinion,i think this time we should make a new thread about The Queen and Prince Philip.
I also have same feeling with The Queen.Not only i'm Asian,but i feel so sorry for the victims in Asia.It killed thousands of people.This morning i heard that 127.000 people were killed.Especially the children,you can see on TV,now they do not have anythings to eat,they lost their parents,no things with them now,....

i saw on news today about earthquakes in thailand many people who died and injury and reports got killed about more 100,000 i cant believe in the news but i would agree with HM Queen for sympathy to thailand people need home and lots of more! if more news about earthquakes cases!

Sara Boyce

Sydney Morning Herald:

A zealous young courtier moved aside the chair as the Queen arose at Christmas dinner - then looked on in horror as she promptly tried to sit down again, ending up on the floor.

Courtier Fraser Marlton-Thomas believed the Queen wanted to fetch something from the buffet, but the 78-year-old monarch only wanted to reach for something or talk to someone further down the long table.

Instead of landing back on the chair, she ended on the floor along with a couple of the royal corgis, who as usual were waiting for titbits, the Mail on Sunday newspaper reported.

It quoted servants at Sandringham House, the eastern English estate where the royals spend Christmas, as saying the Queen was unhurt, and the rest of the company broke into peals of laughter.

The shocked 25-year-old courtier helped the Queen to her feet and the sovereign ended up laughing as much as the others, court sources said.

Oh my goodness! If this is true, the poor man must have been mortified. Her majesty is also lucky she did not get hurt. At her age, no matter how fit you are your bones are definitely more fragile!

I am upset. She was very lucky indeed.

ElisaR said:
I am upset. She was very lucky indeed.
I read on Hola that the dogs broke her fall but they were ok too. I'm sure she fell on carpet too.

But that poor attendant OMG he must have been horrified! I would have died on the spot.

Do you all think that he will be put on another, lower ranking job?

Yes,i'm really sad.It's so lucky for The Queen.
God save The Queen
God save our Gracious Queen

Queen Elizabeth visits Tsunami Emergency Call Centre

Attachments

• 299249.jpg
    299249.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 299250.jpg
    299250.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 579
  • 299251.jpg
    299251.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 299252.jpg
    299252.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 348
Dennism said:
Sydney Morning Herald:

A zealous young courtier moved aside the chair as the Queen arose at Christmas dinner - then looked on in horror as she promptly tried to sit down again, ending up on the floor.

Courtier Fraser Marlton-Thomas believed the Queen wanted to fetch something from the buffet, but the 78-year-old monarch only wanted to reach for something or talk to someone further down the long table.

Instead of landing back on the chair, she ended on the floor along with a couple of the royal corgis, who as usual were waiting for titbits, the Mail on Sunday newspaper reported.

It quoted servants at Sandringham House, the eastern English estate where the royals spend Christmas, as saying the Queen was unhurt, and the rest of the company broke into peals of laughter.

The shocked 25-year-old courtier helped the Queen to her feet and the sovereign ended up laughing as much as the others, court sources said.
Oh, how horrible. I'm glad the Queen wasn't injured, but the poor courtier. I'm sure he will be reprimanded for his "actions", despite his good intentions. :( I can only imagine how embarrassed he would have felt. I have done things like that, although not involving people of such a status, and I still cringe at them.:eek:

Any Memorial Service for the Tsunami Victims in England?I remember that there was Memorial Service for the Bali Bombing Victims and for the 11/9 victims too in England.

One more pic of The Queen visits Tsunami Emergency Call Centre:

Attachments

• BRITAIN_TSUNAMI_QUAKE_ROYAL.jpg
    BRITAIN_TSUNAMI_QUAKE_ROYAL.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 366
I'd highly doubt she'd cry in public. The Queen is well-known for her stiff upper lip rule and didn't cry either at her sister's or her mother's funeral.

Who tell you that she did not cry at her sister's funeral?There are some pics from Corbis.

Grecka belongs to a family of veterinarians and apparently, the word went through the canine grapevine from the Corgis themselves and that´s how Grecka knows?

grecka said:
I'd highly doubt she'd cry in public. The Queen is well-known for her stiff upper lip rule and didn't cry either at her sister's or her mother's funeral.
The Queen cried several times.

1) at a memorial service for 9/11, held in St. paul's cathedral on 13 September 2001

2) at Margaret's funeral

3) listening to a children's choir on Commonwealth Day, 11 March 2002

4) watching a veterans' parade on Summer 2002

5) at a remembrance service on November 2002 (I was uncertain about posting this picture, because I think it's not very respectful)

6) today I find this picture, about another remebrance service for 9/11,which took place on 29 november, where even Prince Philip seems to cry.

Attachments

• service for 11 september, 13  sept. 2001.jpg
    service for 11 september, 13 sept. 2001.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 425
  • Margaret's funeral.jpg
    Margaret's funeral.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 621
  • 11st March 2002 -  children's choir .jpg
    11st March 2002 - children's choir .jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 678
  • parade, 2002.jpg
    parade, 2002.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 8 november 2002.jpg
    8 november 2002.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 370
  • 29 november 2001.jpg
    29 november 2001.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 378
I saw this funny photo: A boy refused to give The Queen a bunch of flowers on The Queen's visit to the University of Oxford.:)

Attachments

• babyrefusetogiveflowerstoQueen.jpg
    babyrefusetogiveflowerstoQueen.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 298
That child is going to grow up to be teased about that photo for the rest of his life!

its hard time for boy wont let give flowers for HM Queen its totally embrassment! mostly girls want kept flowers wont give to Royals more respective! but that pictures its really embrassment that not funny!

Sara Boyce

I have seen a picture that the Queen,Queen Mother and Princess Margaret atteded VE Day in May 1995.Will The Queen attend the same event this May 2005?

I think so, but there's nothing on the royal site yet.

Polfoto 16-01-2005 Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and her husband the Duke of Edinburugh lay a wreath at the Sandringham war memorial, eastern England, to mark the 90th Anniversery of the World War I Gallipoli campaign, Sunday Jan. 16, 2005. The ceremony commemorated the ill-fated allied expedition in August 1915 which aimed to capture Constantinople and open a Black Sea supply route to Russia. The landing at Suvla on the west coast of the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey resulted in heavy losses for the allied forces including 21 men from the Sandringham estate.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 277
As I was looking at this picture of 2004 Christmas message, I realised that the photo on the right (next to Prince Charles's) shows the Queen and Prince Philip (it's not very clear, but they're them). I've never seen a recent picture of the Queen sitting on the ground; perhaps any picture of this kind hasn't been released in recent years. It's a pity, because I really would like to see these informal and country pictures.

Insight_dec04_gallery_broadcast_large.jpg

Just a little news bite for you regarding the Queen:

Her Majesty the Queen has invited Her Excellency Adrienne Clarkson Governor General of Canada to dinner at Sandringham House on January 19, 2005. The dinner is listed as an unofficial private occassion, however, there will be a brief moment for official photos to be taken. (I'll post them when they become available). Clarkson is currently in her sixth year serving as the Queen's representative in Canada at the federal level, after her term was extended in fall 2004. It should be noted that a personal invitation to dinner by the Queen (at Sandringham none the less) is extreemly rare.

The Queen with Canadian Gornvernor at Sandringham house yesterday:

Attachments

• BRITAIN_CANADA_LON809.jpg
    BRITAIN_CANADA_LON809.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 340
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom