Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 4: December 2004-March 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the instruction manual?

Reina said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"It's an hour-long special and the Queen wants to be comfortably in front of the telly for the 7.30 start." [/font]

Don't any of the footmen know how to program the VCR?

Last edited:
But she wants to see it live. Most ppl like to see something like that live.

Any pics of The rEception and School Concert at buckingham Palace yesterday?

March 1, 2005: Queen Elizabeth at a reception hosted by the Queen at Buckingham Palace. The all-star gathering is a royal tribute to Britain's music industry and follows an earlier children's concert at the Palace for 250 youngsters from schools in five London boroughs, alongside choristers from the Chapel Royal.

Attachments

• 2551451.jpg
    2551451.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 2551453.jpg
    2551453.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 2551450.jpg
    2551450.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
March 1, 2005: Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip met singers who performed in front of 250 London school children during a Royal Music Day concert at Buckingham Palace. Celebrities including Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Brian May, Jools Holland, Jamie Cullum, Bryn Terfel, Terry Wogan, Humphrey Lyttleton, Sir Cameron Mackintosh and Dame Vera Lynn will attend a reception hosted by the Queen tonight as a tribute to the British music industry.

Attachments

• 2551033.jpg
    2551033.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 2551047.jpg
    2551047.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 2551085.jpg
    2551085.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 2551086.jpg
    2551086.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 235
I remember that The Countess of Wessex, The Duke and The Duchess of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent were also there.Any pics of them?

pdas1201 said:
March 1, 2005: Queen Elizabeth at a reception hosted by the Queen at Buckingham Palace. The all-star gathering is a royal tribute to Britain's music industry and follows an earlier children's concert at the Palace for 250 youngsters from schools in five London boroughs, alongside choristers from the Chapel Royal.

What is this world coming to when these guys get to meet the Queen? O, my how things changed. I liked how the Queen didn´t know who they were. It´s kind of funny though. I´m just glad she didn´t think they were accountants. ha ha ha. Even Ray Davies was there. O, my:

He may have been known as "God" by rock fans, but guitar legend Eric Clapton's a bit of a mystery to the Queen.

And so is Queen's Brian May, and Led Zepplin's Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck.

"And what do you do?" was her question to the four giants of the music industry.

Brian May reminded Her Majesty that he played the National Anthem on the roof of the Palace to start the 2002 Golden Jubilee rock concert.

"Oh! That was you was it?" the Queen exclaimed.

Moving on to Jimmy Page, the Queen inquired: "Are you a guitarist too?"

Eric Clapton took no chances and, firmly shaking the Queen's hand, introduced himself by name.

"Have you been playing a long time?" the Queen asked.

"It must be 45 years now," replied Clapton, 59.

Former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell turned up 40 minutes late for the reception at Buckingham Palace to celebrate the British music industry.

Some 500 celebrity guests began arriving an hour before Her Majesty.

By the time Halliwell showed up the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were already greeting guests including Eric Clapton, Charlotte Church, Cilla Black, Roger Daltry, Robert Plant and Dame Shirley Bassey - all of whom arrived on time.

Halliwell's late arrival was a breach of royal protocol. The Queen is supposed to be the last person to enter a room for a royal engagement.

On her way in, the former Ginger Spice said she felt "fantastic" at being invited to the reception.

While the other female stars dressed up for the event, Halliwell turned up in a pair of casual cream trousers.

By contrast, Charlotte Church arrived - an hour early - looking elegant in a printed chiffon dress by New York designer Diane von Furstenberg.
It is the second time Church has met the Queen at Buckingham Palace - the first was at a Women of Achievement lunch last year.

"I really don't know why I'm here but I feel very honoured to be asked," she said.

The singer has had a trying few days. On Sunday her ex-boyfriend Kyle Johnson sold his kiss-and-tell story to a newspaper.

Church put on a brave face and said: "Things haven't been great but best not talk about that tonight."

Other stars who turned out for the event included Welsh soprano Katherine Jenkins, Pete Waterman, Phil Collins, Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt of Status Quo, and Ray Davies of the Kinks.

PA

To the dungeons for Geri for her breach of protocol. Like we need a reason anyway...

"Luckily, the Queen had heard of Surrey."

Ouch. Very funny, Reina.

Wow, Queen Elizabeth looked great in that red thing! Standing there with the younger girls, she even looked younger herself! The Queen is truly at a good stage in life, and holds her age wonderfuly.

I think if The Queen does not know these legendary guitarist is normal,not funny.Firstly,Her Majesty is old now, we can not find many other women at her age know about these guitarist.Secondly,i' ve read in a book that Her Majesty and her late sister Princess Margaret both like the musics they had when they were young.Princess Margaret is interested in piano, Her Majesty like songs she had heard when she was young.And thirdly, we should remember that Her Majesty had lived through the World War II, so her thinking might be different.

On Wednesday 2nd, Bill Gates received Honorary Knighthood from The Queen at Buckingham Palace.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
I think if The Queen does not know these legendary guitarist is normal,not funny.Firstly,Her Majesty is old now, we can not find many other women at her age know about these guitarist.Secondly,i' ve read in a book that Her Majesty and her late sister Princess Margaret both like the musics they had when they were young.Princess Margaret is interested in piano, Her Majesty like songs she had heard when she was young.And thirdly, we should remember that Her Majesty had lived through the World War II, so her thinking might be different.

Her and the Prince´s favorite song when they were courting was "People will say we´re in love.", I think. Can´t beat that. But you are right. It´s a generational thing. And studies have shown that as we get older, it is perfectly natural for us to not like newer music. Newer in chronology. Not newer to us. So it makes sense.

"People will say we're in love" is a very nice song and I like listening at and singing it. :)

And it's true that people like songs from when they were young: it's perfectly normal.

And there are also people who are interested only in some types of music. I, for example, don't know any of those guitarists at all either, only I know that Queen and Led Zeppelin exist and I can remember (quite badly) two or three of the Queen's song. That's all. I'm not interested in 98% of the music of today, besides artists like Charlotte Church, Sarah Brightman, Loreena McKennit, some gaelic groups, Carla Bruni (do you know her? she's French and her most famous song's Quelqun m'a dit.) Then I like some songs I heard but without knowing the artist.

queenmusic-1a.jpg

Phil Collins was one of a host of music stars to meet the Queen for drinks and canapes at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday
Photo: © EMPICS

queenmusic-2a.jpg

When greeting legendary guitarists Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page the Queen revealed that her musical tastes don't seem to stretch to their genre. "And what do you do?" she asked them
Photo: © AFP

THE QUEEN HOSTS ROCK LEGENDS AT THE PALACE:

2 MARCH 2005

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/03/02/queenmusicindustry/#enviarQueen Elizabeth welcomed rock royalty to Buckingham Palace on Tuesday evening when she hosted a reception for the industy's leading lumanaries. The evening turned into a crash course in the music genre for the Queen as she chatted with some of its key players.

Introduced to four of the country’s most famous guitar heroes - Brian May, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton - she asked: “And what do you do?” Brian May, lead guitarist for the group Queen, reminded her that he was the one who had played the National Anthem from the roof-top of Buckingham Palace to kick off the 2002 Golden Jubilee rock concert. “Oh! That was you was it?” she exclaimed.

Phil Collins, another of the evening's guests, said he had previously met the monarch at a tribute concert for Nelson Mandela.

"The Queen has heard my music," said the 54-year-old performer "but I don't know if she's a fan."

Some 500 guests were invited to the gala reception, and all except Geri Halliwell managed to turn up on time. The former Spice Girl broke protocol by arriving 40 minutes late - and, more importantly, after the Queen.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/03/02/queenmusicindustry/

Dennism I just realized that you posted the same article b/f I did. I am so sorry!

March 2, 2005: Queen Elizabeth awarded honorary knighthood to Microsoft founder Bill Gates at the Buckingham Palace, London. Queen Elizabeth seen here with Bill Gates and his wife Melinda Gates.

Attachments

• 52263448.jpg
    52263448.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 300
  • 52263450.jpg
    52263450.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 259
  • 52263451.jpg
    52263451.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 52263454.jpg
    52263454.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 272
March 3, 2005: Queen Elizabeth received the Ambassador of Syria, Mr Sami M Khiyami and the Ambassador of Serbia and Montenegro, Dr. Dragisa Burzan at the Buckingham Palace.

Attachments

• 52271455.jpg
    52271455.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 52271457.jpg
    52271457.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 280
March 3, 2005: Queen Elizabeth at the 'New Testament Assembly Project' in Leytonstone, East London, to see Caribbean handicrafts and cooking at the church and community centre. Later the Queen will meet representatives from local help groups, including Kiran Asian Women's Aid. She will see the children's nursery, talk to volunteers and meet Community Street Wardens before unveiling a plaque to commemorate her visit.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 277
More from Getty Images:

Attachments

• 52277499.jpg
    52277499.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 669
  • 52277509.jpg
    52277509.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 659
  • 52277514.jpg
    52277514.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 728
  • 52277517.jpg
    52277517.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 675
Reina said:
Dennism I just realized that you posted the same article b/f I did. I am so sorry!

O, that´s okay. No worries.

"And there are also people who are interested only in some types of music. I, for example, don't know any of those guitarists at all either, only I know that Queen and Led Zeppelin exist and I can remember (quite badly) two or three of the Queen's song. That's all. I'm not interested in 98% of the music of today, besides artists like Charlotte Church, Sarah Brightman, Loreena McKennit, some gaelic groups, Carla Bruni (do you know her? she's French and her most famous song's Quelqun m'a dit.) Then I like some songs I heard but without knowing the artist."

Yeah, but I´ve heard of all of these people but the Queen knows a lot more about other things than I would. Besides, I have been called a "sponge" before when it comes to these things. Loreena is good. Yeah, most people just know songs and not the artists.

The Royal Engagements have not updated for 12 days.It's previous update was on 23rd of Feb but now it's already 7th March.Do you know why?

This shoe Her Majesty wore in 1997.Is this the same shoe Her Majesty always wear now?If so,she had worn this from the 1980s.I saw this shoe sometimes of the 1980s pics.

Attachments

• 52105173.jpg
    52105173.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 278
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM: Britain's Queen Elizabeth II receives His Excellency the Ambassador of Finland, Mr Jaakko Laajava, and His Excellency the Ambassador of Peru, Mr Luis Solari Tudela,who presented their Letters of Credence, at Buckingham Palace, London, 08 March, 2005. AFP PHOTO/KIRSTY WIGGLESWORTH/WPA POOL (Photo credit should read KIRSTY WIGGLESWORTH/AFP/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg