Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 3: May-December 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM Queen 2's outfits

im sure about if you like to pose pictures thread about Her Majesty the Queen's outfits evening dresses when she traveling for her state trips and also tiara too! please anythings pose of her HM Queen's engagement to Prince Philip till her marriages for more long times of her dresses.

Sara Boyce

Prince Philip reveals his driving passion

Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...5.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/11/15/ixportal.html

Prince Philip reveals his driving passion
By Caroline Davies
(Filed: 15/11/2004)

No one is more aware than Prince Philip of the rumours that he is to retire from the hazardous sport of competition carriage driving. They have, after all, been circulating for 20 years.

But now he has quashed them, firmly, in a book published this week on his passion for a sport that has often left him bruised but always beaming."I am getting old," he writes. "My reactions are getting slower and my memory is unreliable. But, I have not lost the sheer pleasure of driving a team through the British countryside."

Problems and disasters may lie ahead, he concedes, but: "I have been fortunate to have had a longer innings than most, and I have no intention of giving up while I have a team of willing ponies and dedicated grooms."

"What happens next is anyone's guess," he concludes.

What seems likely to happen is that next year, having notched up four score years and four, he will be competing in the World Pony Driving Championships.

His performance this year has put him well on course to qualify.

This feat sits oddly with his revelation that he retired from polo at 50 having "watched and played with several elderly gentlemen who seemed determined to go on playing until they dropped dead in the saddle" and vowing not to follow their example.

The book – 30 Years On and Off The Box Seat – details how, after being asked, as president of the International Equestrian Federation, to help compile rules for the increasingly popular sport, he found himself hooked.

He borrowed five Cleveland Bays from the Royal Mews, along with a set of neck collar harnesses and a big wooden carriage called the Balmoral Dogcart, and off he went.

There were teething problems, most notably getting his horses to cross water, an essential requirement for competitions which comprise a tough schedule of dressage, precision-driving through cones and a cross-country marathon obstacle course.

"It must be remembered these were ceremonial horses and their only experience of water was limited to avoiding puddles in London streets," he writes.

Having personally designed a water crossing for Home Park at Windsor, he got them across by shaking sugar lumps on the other side.

Less successful was the water crossing he devised at Sandringham, where the two leaders of his team of four jumped the ditch and parted company with the carriage.

"I was still clutching the reins when this happened so I was heaved bodily across the ditch and dumped more or less on dry land, where the horses set off to explore Norfolk.

"One of them was stopped by my daughter, who happened to be riding in the vicinity and, guessing that Father had come unstuck somewhere, rode to the rescue."

At the "grand old age of 65" and finding himself "the oldest competitor on the international circuit", he sent his horses back to the Mews and press-ganged the Fell ponies at Balmoral into active service.

Having spent the stag-hunting season lugging carcasses, they arrived south "round as barrels and extremely hairy" – a slight drawback in the dressage stakes.

Twenty years on, he is still as passionate about and as successful as ever with his ponies.

Part of the pleasure, he admits, is introducing friends to the sport. By far his most famous convert is Lady Romsey, who is often mischievously referred to in gossip columns as his "carriage driving partner", although they do not compete together.

Ten years ago she asked him about his "driving thing". He lent her a carriage and set about overseeing her progress. He had an inauspicious start as her coach when, introducing her to the art of taking the team through water at Windsor, the "shackle" came off and the "swingle trees" fell on to the leaders' hind legs.

"I had buckled the reins together, so I was able to hold on to them for a short time, but my arms were getting longer and longer and I was halfway over the dashboard," he recalls.

"The next thing I knew, we were heading straight for a fence. Luckily the leaders decided against jumping it and turned sharp right instead …

"This sudden turn caused me to leave the carriage, describing a graceful parabola through the air and into the long grass."

Meanwhile his pupil and the girl groom were left with the galloping wheelers – the back two of the four – and unable to do anything to stop them.

One of the major challenges he has faced is fitting his hobby around official duties and family functions.

There were a complicated few days in 2000 when he had to open a new pavilion for the Royal Yacht Squadron at Cowes on a Thursday, attend the Queen Mother's 100th birthday lunch on the Friday and be at Lowther in Carlisle to walk the marathon course in advance of a competition.

He ended up travelling by train to Carlisle on Wednesday and had a practice run on Thursday morning.

He flew by helicopter to Cowes that afternoon, dashed to London for the lunch at Clarence House on the Friday "after which I rushed back to Lowther by helicopter, arriving with 30 minutes to spare before starting my dressage test".

He admits that his thoughts have turned to retirement from time to time. When he was 82, his old green horsebox and trailer needed replacing, and that would be an "excellent excuse" he thought. "But then I thought, perhaps unreasonably, that I would be damned if I was forced to give up just because the horsebox and trailer had run out of puff."

"You may well wonder," he writes, "why I have continued to compete for quite so many years. The simple answer is that I have enjoyed every moment of it, or, more accurately, almost every moment of it. It gets me into the fresh air and it keeps me reasonably fit.

"I suppose I could just drive about the country but the challenge of the competition is a great inducement to get out and practise, even when the weather conditions might be a bit discouraging."

•30 Years On and Off The Box Seat by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, is published by J.A. Allen, £25.

November 16, 2004: Queen Elizabeth hosted a reception at the Buckingham Palace, as a unique gathering, organized by ARC and World Bank, to broker new partnerships between churches and secular groups to help African ecology and development. EPA/Fiona Hanson UK AND IRELAND OUT.

Attachments

• BRITAIN_ROYALROYAL_QUEEN_1_.jpg
    BRITAIN_ROYALROYAL_QUEEN_1_.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 231
  • BRITAIN_ROYAL_LON106.jpg
    BRITAIN_ROYAL_LON106.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 00313711.jpg
    00313711.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 212
Tomorrow,French president Jacques Chirac will be on his official visit to UK.This is not a State Visit.The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will receive The President and his wife at Windsor Castle.Hope some nice pics!

Fox Hunting Ban

The Royals are famed for their love of fox hunting but the tradition is now facing a complete ban in the UK. What do other forumistas think about the ban on fox hunting?

LONDON - NOVEMBER 18: French President Jacques Chirac (R) and The Duke of Edinburgh Prince Phillip inspect the French Republican Guard November 18, 2004 at the Foreign Office London, England. Chirac is on a two-day visit to the United Kingdom to mark the climax of centenary celebrations of the Entente Cordiale between the two nations.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 166
I'm in favor of it. It's not just hunting its torture to the poor creature. It's a very out-dated sport I think and I also think that the fact the Queen enjoys that stuff is so unattractive.

The Queen doesn't go hunting. Prince Charles and his sons do. Other hunting royals are - I think - Princess Anne and.... Princess Alexandra? I'm not sure.

November 18, 2004, WINDSOR, UNITED KINGDOM: French President Jacques Chirac, his wife, Bernadette attended a dinner at Windsor Castle, with Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh. Chirac's visit to Britain marked the centenary of the Entente Cordiale, struck between the two nations after centuries of warfare.

Attachments

• 51761988.jpg
    51761988.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 51761996.jpg
    51761996.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 51762001.jpg
    51762001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 51762044.jpg
    51762044.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 51762049.jpg
    51762049.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 51762145.jpg
    51762145.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 51762161.jpg
    51762161.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 895
  • 51762178.jpg
    51762178.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 284
I think that this ban is just politics at its most cynical. Labour is trying to please its supporters in urban areas by doing something that doesn't cost the government anything in terms of money but makes middle-class urban voters feel they've given the toffs in the country a good kicking; it's cheaper than doing something constructive for urban voters. By doing this, they're just fanning the flames of class warfare and getting support from one part of the country on the basis of division. It's also the latest in a long string of things Blair has been doing that gets rid of a uniquely British tradition and makes Britain that much more like the rest of Europe. By the time he finally gets the UK into the European Union, we'll already have been assimilated in every way that matters.

As to the matter of foxes, if they really are rural pests, which it seems as if they are, they're going to have to be kept under control somehow. They'll have to be shot (which means more country people keeping and using guns) or trapped (which is very inhumane) or poisoned (which runs the risk of poisons getting into streams or being eaten by dogs or other animals that aren't the intended targets, or even by children) or artificially infected as was done with rabbits in Australia (which isn't the world's pleasantest way to die either) or kept down in some other way. The hunting ban is a masterpiece of style over substance, but then that's the hallmark of the present government (in my opinion, of course).

I gather Charles stopped Camilla from attending the Countrywide March in London last year because the royal family and its close - um - friends can't be seen to be interfering in politics, but it'll be interesting to see what happens in the longer term.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Philip welcome the arrival of Chirac not The Queen?
This is what I got from gettyimages...

Chirac was 30 minutes late for the engagement, therefore the Queen didn't greet him at the entrance.

some more...

5) Queen Elizabeth and Jacques Chirac arrive in the Waterloo Chamber of the Windsor Castle for a royal command performance of the musical Les Miserables.

Attachments

• 51762185.jpg
    51762185.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 51762198.jpg
    51762198.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 167
  • AP625006_guest.jpg
    AP625006_guest.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 189
  • AP625056_guest.jpg
    AP625056_guest.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 169
  • AP625050_guest.jpg
    AP625050_guest.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 193
  • AP625029_guest.jpg
    AP625029_guest.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
But very nice pics!Her Majesty wear that dress twice time.She has worn on her State Visit to France in april and now on his visit to Uk,she wear again.

Tomorrow will be The Queen and Prince Philip's 57 Wedding Anniversary.Happy for them.Wish all the happiness for them.

Happy anniversary of wedding to HM Queen and Prince Philip and more best wishes.

Sara Boyce

Elspeth said:
I think that this ban is just politics at its most cynical. Labour is trying to please its supporters in urban areas by doing something that doesn't cost the government anything in terms of money but makes middle-class urban voters feel they've given the toffs in the country a good kicking; it's cheaper than doing something constructive for urban voters. By doing this, they're just fanning the flames of class warfare and getting support from one part of the country on the basis of division. It's also the latest in a long string of things Blair has been doing that gets rid of a uniquely British tradition and makes Britain that much more like the rest of Europe. By the time he finally gets the UK into the European Union, we'll already have been assimilated in every way that matters.

As to the matter of foxes, if they really are rural pests, which it seems as if they are, they're going to have to be kept under control somehow. They'll have to be shot (which means more country people keeping and using guns) or trapped (which is very inhumane) or poisoned (which runs the risk of poisons getting into streams or being eaten by dogs or other animals that aren't the intended targets, or even by children) or artificially infected as was done with rabbits in Australia (which isn't the world's pleasantest way to die either) or kept down in some other way. The hunting ban is a masterpiece of style over substance, but then that's the hallmark of the present government (in my opinion, of course).

I gather Charles stopped Camilla from attending the Countrywide March in London last year because the royal family and its close - um - friends can't be seen to be interfering in politics, but it'll be interesting to see what happens in the longer term.
I think the whole foxhunting debate is out of proportion, a fox very often escapes and when one is caught by the hounds I admit it is not pleasant. What I find strange is that people are only bothered by the cruel death of a few foxes while they are totally disinterested in the suffering of animals in abattoirs, the long hours (days) they are transported from one end of europe to the other end to a slaughterhouse in Italy or Spain, the castration of piglets without aenesthetic. The often needless testing in labs on animals. Once sat at dinner with a woman who works for Johnson & Johnson in Belgium and she talked about how she would grab a beagle by the scruff of his neck etc. I asked her to stop talking about is but she would not.
& the total irony that a few backbenchers threatend to resign for a few foxes but no backbencher threatens to do so for the death of thousands of people in Irak. (sorry totally off topic, not a word about royals)

princessvalondra said:
I'm in favor of it. It's not just hunting its torture to the poor creature. It's a very out-dated sport I think and I also think that the fact the Queen enjoys that stuff is so unattractive.
That's fine but what about the thousands of hounds throughout Great Britain that are going to lose their lives? There are also hundreds of horses that will finish up in the knackers yard because they are no longer required.

Hopefully farmers who lose lambs, calves, foals & countless chickens to the foxy predators will publish photographs of their mutilated corpses in the press and on the internet to show just how ridiculous this legislation is...

November 19, 2004: Queen Elizabeth smiles as President Jacques Chirac departs Windsor Castle. The French President is in Britain to mark the climax of celebrations of the centenary of the Entente Cordiale, the agreement between the two countries which put a rest to centuries of warfare. AFP PHOTO Adrian DENNIS/WPA POOL

Attachments

• p2393595.jpg
    p2393595.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 258
  • AP625231_guest.jpg
    AP625231_guest.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 213
  • AP625236_guest.jpg
    AP625236_guest.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 196
  • AP625240_guest.jpg
    AP625240_guest.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 182
  • BRITAIN-QUEEN-CHIRAC-WIND_3.jpg
    BRITAIN-QUEEN-CHIRAC-WIND_3.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 648
  • BRITAIN-QUEEN-CHIRAC-WIND_7.jpg
    BRITAIN-QUEEN-CHIRAC-WIND_7.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Madame Chirac bowl to The Queen.She also did on The Queens State Visit to France in April.

Actually the ban is on hunting with dogs. That involves a lot more than just fox hunting. Only Princes Charles, William and Harry hunt. I belive Zara Philips has attended a few but that is it. The rest of the royals would never be at it as the Queen Mother really detised the idea of hunting something that you had no intention of eating and I think that same philosophy filtered down to the Queen and her children. I can only presume that Charles got into it through his friends and Camilla Parker Bowles.

Queen's speech

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk_politics/2004/queens_speech/default.stm

Full text of 2004 Queen's Speech

Here is the full text of the 2004 Queen's Speech:

66a.gif
My Lords and members of the House of Commons.

o.gif

My Government will continue to pursue policies which entrench economic stability and promote growth and prosperity.

My Government will continue to reform the public services to ensure they provide more security and opportunity for all.

My Government attaches the highest importance to extending educational opportunity so that all individuals can realise their full potential and the country can benefit from the talents of all its people.

A Bill will be introduced to streamline the regime of school inspections to help raise standards for every child in every school.

A Bill will be introduced to extend financial support for 16 to 19-year-olds engaged in training and education.

My Government recognises that we live in a time of global uncertainty with an increased threat from international terrorism and organised crime. Measures to extend opportunity will be accompanied by legislation to increase security for all.

My Government will legislate to introduce an identity cards scheme, and will publish proposals to support the continuing fight against terrorism in the United Kingdom and elsewhere.

Legislation will be introduced to establish the Serious Organised Crime Agency, and the powers the police and others have to fight crime will be strengthened.

In particular, the Bill will introduce new measures to deal with harassment by animal rights extremists.

My Government will introduce legislation to tackle the problem of drug abuse and the crime that flows from it, and will tackle the disorder and violence that can arise from the abuse of alcohol.

My Government has always recognised the importance of clean and safe neighbourhoods. There will be further legislation to tackle anti-social behaviour.

A Bill will be introduced to help to reduce further the numbers of those killed or injured on the roads.

My Government will bring forward legislation to reduce re-offending by improving the management of offenders.

A draft Bill will be published to tackle juvenile crime through more effective rehabilitation and sentencing.

Legislation will be introduced to reform the criminal defence service, making better use of legal aid resources. A draft Bill will be published to support those with legitimate civil claims and reform the system of tribunals.

A draft Bill will be published to introduce a new offence of corporate manslaughter.

My Government will continue to take action to secure high levels of employment as it reforms the welfare state.

My Government will continue to provide protection from discrimination and exploitation.

Legislation will be introduced to combat discrimination in the provision of goods and services on the grounds of religion, as well as race, sex and disability. A single Commission for Equality and Human Rights will be established.

My Government will maintain its commitment to social justice and legislate to increase the rights of disabled people.

My Government will continue its reform of the National Health Service, offering more information, power and choice to patients, with equal access for all and free at the point of delivery.

My Government will continue with legislation to provide a statutory framework for dealing with the financial, health and welfare decisions of those people who might lack capacity through mental illness or disability.

Measures to reform the law on mental health will continue to undergo pre-legislative scrutiny.

My Government believes that the welfare of children is paramount. Draft legislation will be published to safeguard the welfare of children in circumstances of parental separation and inter-country adoption.

Consumer credit law will be updated to provide greater protection from unfair lending practices and create a fairer and more competitive credit market.

My Government will also introduce a Bill to improve standards of animal welfare and increase the penalties for abuse.

My Government will continue to modernise the constitution and institutions of our country to ensure they are equipped to meet the challenges of the future.

Legislation will be brought forward to provide a modern and comprehensive framework for statutory inquiries into matters of public concern.

My Government will continue to take forward in this session the constitutional legislation introduced last year.

A Bill will be introduced to give effect to the Constitutional Treaty for the European Union, subject to a referendum.

My Government is committed to reducing bureaucracy and the costs of Government, and to promoting efficiency. A Bill will be introduced to integrate the Inland Revenue and Her Majesty's Customs and Excise.

My Government recognises the importance of modern, effective and safe transport to meet the needs of the public and the wider economy.

Legislation will be introduced to streamline the organisation of the national rail system to improve performance.

A Bill will be brought forward to authorise the construction of Crossrail.

The Government will continue to legislate to allow local authorities to provide innovative and safe school transport.

My Government believes that the voluntary sector is a great strength of this country.

Charity law will be modernised so that a vibrant, diverse and independent charitable sector can continue to flourish with public confidence.

My Government will introduce legislation to consolidate the distribution of lottery money to good causes.

Proposals will be published to protect the nation's rural heritage, through draft legislation to modernise the management of common land, and to create new arrangements to deliver rural policy.

Members of the House of Commons. Estimates for the Public Services will be laid before you.

My Lords and members of the House of Commons.

My Government will continue to work closely with the devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales, and will work to bring about the conditions necessary for the restoration of the political institutions in Northern Ireland.

Legislation will be introduced to provide the Welsh Assembly with a range of transport related powers.

Other measures will be laid before you.

The Duke of Edinburgh and I look forward to our visit to Canada. We look forward to receiving the state visit of His Excellency the President of the Republic of Korea and receiving the state visit of His Excellency the President of Italy.

To mark the centenary of Norway's independence, we also look forward to receiving Their Majesties King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway.

My Government will assume the Presidency of the European Union in July and will use this opportunity to work towards building an increasingly prosperous and secure Europe.

In addition to the European Union Presidency, my Government will hold the G8 Presidency in 2005, which will include working on the important issues of Africa and climate change.

My Government will continue to work with partners around the world to prevent terrorism and the proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, and the problems of drug smuggling and international crime.

My Government will work to strengthen commitment on both sides of the Atlantic to the transatlantic relationship and to the continued effectiveness of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, and will work with the international community to strengthen the United Nations.

My Government will continue to support the Government of Iraq to provide security and stability and ensure that elections can be held in January.

My Government will continue to support efforts to build peace in the Middle East, to promote democratic reform and reduce conflict and extremism. My Lords and members of the House of Commons. I pray that the blessing of Almighty God may rest upon your counsels.
99a.gif

Last edited:
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM: Britain's Queen Elizabeth (L) and the Duke of Edinburgh (C) are heralded into the Royal Gallery in the House of Lords at the Palace of Westminster, during the State Opening of Parliament in London, 23 November 2004. AFP PHOTO POOL Russell Boyce (Photo credit should read RUSSELL BOYCE/AFP/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 51778871.jpg
    51778871.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 51779078.jpg
    51779078.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 51779028.jpg
    51779028.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 51778823.jpg
    51778823.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 51778822.jpg
    51778822.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 51778459.jpg
    51778459.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 51778389.jpg
    51778389.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 51778372.jpg
    51778372.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 51778826.jpg
    51778826.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 247
This year the first time The Queen wears gold dress at The Opening of Parliarment.She looks very nice.So alot of visit to UK next year,President of Italy and King Harald's official visit.

some more pics...

Attachments

• AP633924_guest.jpg
    AP633924_guest.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 179
  • AP633918_guest.jpg
    AP633918_guest.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 200
  • AP633911_guest.jpg
    AP633911_guest.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 192
  • AP633906_guest.jpg