Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 3: May-December 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
saxon said:
When the Queen goes on state visits is she representing just Great Britain or the entire commonwealth for example does she ever make state visits as the Queen of Australia, Canada or New Zealand?....

It is very rare for the Queen to make a state visit to other countries in any other role besides Queen of the United Kingdom. For the most part the Queen acts only as Queen of Australia, or Canada when she is in that country. It is usually the Governor-Generals of the commonwealth realms who make state visits abroad, when they do they represent both the people of their country and the Queen. However, their are exceptions for example the Queen has traveled to the United States as a Princess of Canada in 1951 and later as Queen of Canada in 1957 or 1959 I can't remember the exact year.

In 2003 Her Majesty acted as Queen of Australia during the opening of the Autralian War Memorial in London. In 2004 she acted as Queen of Canada during a special ceremony marking D-Day at Juno Beach in France. She has also acted as Queen of Canada during the unveiling of the Canadian War Memorial in London.

But for the most part, she only acts as Queen of her commonwealth realms when in those countries. The reason for this is that there would be too much confusion as to what role she is performing if she traveled to one country as Queen of New Zealand and then as Queen of Jamaica to another for example.

I 've read that The Queen will open The Commonwealth Meeting in Malta in Dec. next year.But has The Queen ever opened The Commonwealth Games in other countries in The Commonwealth yet?Or only in Great Britain?Because the next Commonwealth Games will be in Australia.So i want to know?

opening Commonwealth Games

The Queen doesn't open the games at all. She sends a representative to do it for her e.g. in Brisbane in 1982 Prince Philip did it and in KL in 1998 and Manchester in 2002 Prince Edward did it.

Prince Philip opened the games, in the name of the Queen, on most, if not all occasions, from 1958 to 1998 I think. The Queen was not well enough in 1958, according to my recollection and research, to go to Cardiff for the opening but was there for the closing which is when the system changed to what it is today.

In the mid to late 90s the Duke of Edinburgh started handing over some of his leadership roles to Prince Edward - e.g. the role with the Commonwealth Games and the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.

My records indicate that she always closes the games so I expect her, and the Duke, to be visiting Melbourne, God willing, in 2006. Other members of the family also usually attend.

We are deprived of royalty here. =(

The Queen

It is not known when the Queen will next visit Australia. The Queen only visits Australia when the Australian government asks her to come.

Yes, i would have thought, that Queen Elizabeth II being our sovereign, would come more regularly to Australia and to visit its people. and to know more about a country that is part of her commonwealth.

I would like to see her more often

Australian said:
Yes, i would have thought, that Queen Elizabeth II being our sovereign, would come more regularly to Australia and to visit its people. and to know more about a country that is part of her commonwealth.

I would like to see her more often

As I stated before the matter is not in the Queen's hands it's up to the Australian government to ask her to come on a visit. Visits vary in all of her Commonwealth realms. For example in Canada the Queen is asked by the government to make a tour once every two to three years, though it is expected that her trips aboard will be cut back as she gets older.

I know the Queen visited Australia last during her Golden Jubliee in 2002 so hopefully in the near future the Australian government will ask her to come again. The other reason why the Queen has not been asked to make many tours of Australia in recent years is because of the growing republic movement in Australia, espically back in the late 1990s when the vote on the future of the monarchy in Australia was held.

Yes thats right, what would you think if Australia had it's own monarchy, but it started a long time ago. Would the "Australian monarchy' be respected overseas? would we be included in overseas royal weddings etc. Just curious

Australian said:
Yes thats right, what would you think if Australia had it's own monarchy, but it started a long time ago. Would the "Australian monarchy' be respected overseas? would we be included in overseas royal weddings etc. Just curious

If Australia had it own monarchy and assuming the King or Queen of the day was related to some of the worlds other royal houses yes Australia would probably have big royal wedding and be respected.

It should be interesting to note that the idea of the commonwealth realms getting their own monarch has been something that has been discussed before. Way back in the era of Queen Victoria there was some discussion that some of her children should assume the thrones of the bigger overseas realms like Canada and Australia, but Victoria was dead against this.

It was even once discussed during the present Queen's reign, but again nothing came of it.

Queen of Australia to Australia

I would anticipate that the next visit of the Queen of Australia to these shores would be in 2006. My reason for saying this is that Melbourne is hosting the Commonwealth Games that year and it would not be the done thing for the Head of the Commonwealth not to attend the games. Traditionally she has closed the games so I do expect her to visit then.

Braemar Games will take place today.Wait and see.Hope that we can see a lot photos of Her Majesty and the Duke.We hadn't seen them for month.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link!

more pics of the Braemar gathering

www.ibl.se

Attachments

• 495322d.jpeg
    495322d.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 187
  • 495322l.jpeg
    495322l.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 495322n.jpeg
    495322n.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 495322o.jpeg
    495322o.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 495322u.jpeg
    495322u.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 495322c.jpeg
    495322c.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 162
HMQueenElizabethII said:
How many days will The Queen appear at Braemar Days?Or only one day?
every year! when HM Queen loves watch Braemar days with her children and her grandchildren its really traditional that why HM Queen watch that Braemar days not one days.

Sara Boyce

Thanks for all lovely pics, they are amaizing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One face two persons

It strucks me that HM Queen Elizabeth II resembles her paternal grandmother, Queen Mary more and more....but when she was younger she looked a lot like her maternal aunt, Countess Rose Granville, sister of the Queen Mum.

Attachments

• One face two persons1.jpg
    One face two persons1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 488
  • One face two persons2.jpg
    One face two persons2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 527
The British Monarchy page has announced that The Queen will open The Parliament on 23rd this year.

Buckingham Palace has announced that The Queen will host receptions for British Olympic Team on 18th October and British Paralympic Team on 25th October.It 's so nice.We will have a lot of more new pics of The Queen.

Her Majesty the Queen will visit Canada in 2005

It was announced today from Rideau Hall (the Queen's official Canadian residence) that Her Majesty will visit Canada from May 17 to May 25, 2005. Here is the official release:

Her Majesty The Queen to visit Canada

September 21, 2004

OTTAWA - Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, Governor General of Canada, is pleased to announce that Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh have accepted the invitation to visit Canada extended to them on behalf of the Government of Canada.

The visit will take place from May 17 to May 25, 2005 during which time the Royal Couple will visit Saskatchewan and Alberta to commemorate the centenary of the entry of those two provinces into Confederation.

A detailed itinerary will be developed and published at a later date by the Department of Canadian Heritage.

-30-
Media information
Len Westerberg
Media Relations
Canadian Heritage
(819) 994-5589
www.pch.gc.ca

France Langlois
Rideau Hall Press Office
(613) 993-8157
www.gg.ca

The Queen's apparently going to land in Darwin and head down to Adelaide on The Ghan (3 days travel by train afaik - recently been extended from Alice Springs to Darwin) then will probably head east from Adelaide into Melbourne in 2006.

Wow!!!!8 days in Canada!We will have a lot of photos of The Queen and The Duke next year.Hope that The Queen will wear a lot of new outfit.At that time,i will be in Australia because next month i will come to Australia to study there.So i hope that i can get a lot of beautiful pics.

I found these old pictures of the Queen and Prince Philip while looking for pictures today.
From kpa photo archives.

Attachments

• 000237112.jpg
    000237112.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 000237114.jpg
    000237114.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 000237116.jpg
    000237116.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 000237118.jpg
    000237118.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 000237119.jpg
    000237119.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 000237120.jpg
    000237120.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 000237121.jpg
    000237121.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 000237122.jpg
    000237122.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 188
The Queen will open the Scottish Parliarment 3 days later.Hope that a lot of new pics of her majesty and the Duke.

The Queen on her official open the Scottish Parliarment Building.She looked nice but she wears old outfit.

Attachments

• 51456730.jpg
    51456730.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 51456733.jpg
    51456733.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 51456737.jpg
    51456737.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.