Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen usually starts her Scottish holiday in August, but has gone at least a week erlier than usual this year. I wonder why? Or has she done that before.

Balmoral will remain open to the public until July 31st so it is expected she will stay at nearby Craigown Lodge until then. She has stayed there before I believe.

Philip didn't attend the Sunday service, did he travel with the Queen to Sctland or is he arriving later?

It's the end of July that she starts. You know when she is gone because BP is open to the public now. Remember when she remarked that she wished the baby aka George would come soon because she was going on holiday. Philip does his own thing He could have gone to Sandringham to check on things there. Next week is Cowes Week so he may go there. Eventually he will make it up to Balmoral.

The Queen used to stay in London until after the 4th August for her mother's birthday but since she died she has been going to Balmoral in the last week in July rather than during the first week in August. She will return to London in either the last week in September or the first in October by which time Philip will have retired.

Ah, thank you. I do remember early August being mentioned before.

Probably explains also hearing of her staying at Craigowan Lodge on occasion and possibly that Philip waits until Balmoral itself is available

Prince Philip's last ever engagement before his retirement will be next Wednesday in London.

He will attend the The Captain General's Parade at Buckingham Palace on August 2

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
According to Buckingham Palace, Prince Philip will have carried out 22,219 solo engagements from 1952 to his last on August 2nd, 2017

Last edited:
Tomorrow is Prince Philip's last official engagement on retirement with the Royal Marines at Buckingham Palace. I wonder will the be any special coverage?

:previous: BBC/Sky News Channels are likely to have live coverage from the event, and there will of course be videos, articles and pictures about it.

Thanks iceflower! I've already posted many articles/videos of it in the retirement thread, because I thought that was the best place to put it.

Well, that hasn't lasted long :lol:

4 September 2017
Her Majesty The Queen accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open the Queensferry Crossing at South Queensferry.

Afterwards Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will attend a ceremony at the Cube Arena, King Malcolm Drive, Rosyth, to mark the opening of the new Firth of Forth road bridge.

I'm delighted!!

Now he and the Queen can decide what he attends, rather than the flunkies ?

The Queen has made a surprise appearance at the 150th Aboyne Highland Games.

The monarch attended the event on Saturday alone following the retirement of the Duke of Edinburgh this week.

Read more: Queen makes surprise appearance at 150th Aboyne Highland Games
DF article: Queen makes surprise visit to 150th Aboyne Highland Games | Daily Mail Online

Picture - HM appeared to be in great spirit as usual:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/05/20/42FBF13600000578-4764206-image-a-21_1501962155420.jpg

"This morning saw the official start to her Majesty The Queen’s annual stay in Balmoral, her home on Royal Deeside in the north east of Scotland.
She was welcomed by Balaklava Company, 5th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (5 SCOTS), who provided a Guard of Honour as she arrived, along with the Regimental Mascot, Shetland Pony Cruachan IV."

Sometimes if a person here at TRF that is knowledgeable in my eyes when it comes to things pertaining to the BRF, I'll click on their DF article link and in this one I wasn't disappointed. I got quite a chuckle out of Cruachan the pony that seems to steal the show at Balmoral. Cheeky little guy! Eating the Queen's posies and then making himself known to get the Queen's attention.

Priceless! :D

You just can't keep a good man down. Although officially retired, he still is the unwavering and steadfast companion to HM. He does actually enjoy these kind of things, I think, and keeping active and going about doing things and seeing things and enjoying life is what is keeping him as hale and hearty as he is.

This man writes the book on how to be a consort to a Queen. :D

Videos:

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon attend a ceremony to make the inauguration of Queensferry Crossing. The brand new bridge spans the Firth of Forth and was opened to traffic last week after a six-year construction period. The opening of the £1.35 billion project was delayed from the original December 2016 plans due to 'adverse weather conditions:
https://itnproductions.com/news/vid...cotland-to-open-queensferry-crossing?type=raw

The Queen cuts the ribbon to officially open the brand new Queensferry Crossing on the Firth of Forth in Scotland. The £1.35 billion project was completed after a six-year construction period and connects Edinburgh to Fife:
https://itnproductions.com/news/video-the-queen-cuts-the-ribbon-to-queensferry-crossing?type=raw

The Queen and Nicola Sturgeon officially open the Queensferry Crossing in Scotland. The new bridge links Edinburgh to Fife. The construction project took six years to build and cost £1.35 billion. It opened to traffic at the end of August in 2017 after its original planned opening date in December 2016 was delayed by what the Scottish Government described as 'advers weather conditions:
https://itnproductions.com/news/video-the-queen-officially-opens-queensferry-crossing?type=raw

Last edited:
Here are some photos from yesterdays official opening ceremony for the Queensferry Crossing.

PPE Agency

H.M.The Queen received the Australian Governor General Sir Peter Cosgrove at Balmoral in Scotland today.

:previous: Thanks An Ard Ri! :flowers:

Article from the Telegraph:
The Queen of the cardigan trend? It has to be Her Majesty
Which came first, the Queen or the cardigan trend? Perhaps Her Majesty has been taking her cue from the catwalk revival, as she was spotted this week in two new button-downs worn with classic tartan kilts at Balmoral Castle.

Cardigans are no longer reserved for ‘grannies’, she will undoubtedly be aware, thanks to Christopher Kane, Gucci and Prada, who have all reappropriated the knitwear staple in cool new incarnations for autumn.

Article from the fail, but worth a read/watch:
Balmoral drawing room reflects Queen's respect for history | Daily Mail Online
Does it play Queen? Her Majesty reveals she has an old-style iPod as she gives a glimpse inside ANOTHER of her rooms in Balmoral

From the family heirlooms to the priceless artwork, Balmoral Castle is steeped in royal history.
But a photograph taken inside the drawing room today reveals how Her Majesty has also added her own modern touches.

For sitting atop one of the curved dark wood side tables is an old-school silver iPod mounted in a speaker dock. The gadgets will allow Her Majesty to listen to thousands of her favourite songs at the touch of a button, although it is not known which tunes have made it on to the royal playlist.

Elsewhere the decor is decidedly more traditional. Indeed some of the pieces, including a set of white figurine candlestick holders, are believed to have been installed by the Queen's great-great grandmother, Queen Victoria more than 150 years ago.

The picture was taken during a private audience between the Queen and Sir Peter Cosgrove, the Governor General of Australia and his wife, Lady Cosgrove, on Thursday. It offers the public a glimpse inside a second room in Balmoral just 24 hours after the monarch, 91, was pictured inside the library during another engagement.

A photo from the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...qDkxUUuk5nlq9L_fnCxGsQpO2g0.jpeg?imwidth=1400

Photo gallery from Getty Images of the audiences from today and yesterday:
Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

And as I wrote in the canadian thread, the Queen is just so damn cute sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom