Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Elizabeth forced to miss Christmas Day church service with 'heavy cold'. The Queen has spent Christmas at the royal couple's country home, Sandringham House in Norfolk, every year since 1988 and has not missed a Christmas Day service during that time.

Philip was out and about, so on the mend. I didn't know it was "only" since 1988 that Christmas at Sandringham commenced.

Philip was out and about, so on the mend. I didn't know it was "only" since 1988 that Christmas at Sandringham commenced.

Christmas at Sandringham was a tradition under George V and George VI, as well as in the Queen's early reign. At some point she started doing Christmas at Windsor, and you can find videos/pictures of the family leaving St Georges' Chapel on Christmas Day between 81-87 on Google.

Christmas at Sandringham was a tradition under George V and George VI, as well as in the Queen's early reign. At some point she started doing Christmas at Windsor, and you can find videos/pictures of the family leaving St Georges' Chapel on Christmas Day between 81-87 on Google.

I think the Queen and her immediate family use to travel to Sandringham sometime after Christmas Day to be there well before New Year's Eve anyway, so when they stopped going to Windsor they simply went to Sandringham earlier. It does show IMO though how easy it is for people to see something as the 'always done' tradition, most people now probably think the RF has always celebrated Christmas Day at Sandringham

I suppose the Queen wasn't out and about enough to present any kind of academic award at the big house to Norfolk schoolchildren, as she did last year. I believe last year on the Sunday after Christmas she gave an award to a pupil at a Kings Lynn school for academic excellence and it appeared in the CC.

This is becoming more and more worrying. It wouldn't surprise me if this 'heavy cold' is actually pneumonia. The symptoms can be similar at least to start with and as we all know pneumonia is a serious problem for the elderly. I really hope I'm wrong.

It's been several weeks since HM was last seen in public which is odd in itself.

This is becoming more and more worrying. It wouldn't surprise me if this 'heavy cold' is actually pneumonia. The symptoms can be similar at least to start with and as we all know pneumonia is a serious problem for the elderly. I really hope I'm wrong.

It's been several weeks since HM was last seen in public which is odd in itself.

Remember, we went through a long spell in the summer where she was not seen? To me, this is the new Elizabeth in her 90's in a year where it took a sore on her leg months to heal. As the saying goes, "old age is not for sissies." Thankfully, that's the last thing I would think to call HM. :flowers:

Maybe the mods could put all the information regarding the Queen's health into one thread?

I also see no cause for alarm and sincerely believe that its better to stay in, keep warm and cozy and let the cold run its course rather than go out and risk the cold developing into something more dire.

I would say that there is nothing concerning about HM's health. It's a cold, and when one is old, the cold affects you badly. Better not to risk and vent out to get the cold worse!

I would say that there is nothing concerning about HM's health. It's a cold, and when one is old, the cold affects you badly. Better not to risk and vent out to get the cold worse!

I agree, and was just about to post the same thing myself. I hope that HM has a speedy recovery, and judging by Princess Anne's comments, it appears that she is feeling better. It's best now for her to rest as much as a she can until she's better, I think.

I agree, and was just about to post the same thing myself. I hope that HM has a speedy recovery, and judging by Princess Anne's comments, it appears that she is feeling better. It's best now for her to rest as much as a she can until she's better, I think.

Exactly what I think!:flowers:. She is old after all, and human. I think the paalce would have said something different if she were dealing with something worse.

One thing I've come to realize is that when it comes to health issues, the statements released by the palace are blunt, to the point and doesn't leave room for elaboration. Its usually a protocol that they do not comment on the health issues of the BRF but when necessary, they tell it like it is.

BP doesn't usually comment unless it is felt necessary. There possibly wouldn't have been anything further to the original comment on the Queen's cold if it hadn't been for that silly fake twitter gag earlier.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
A functioning, recuperating Queen presented a member of staff with an honour at Sandringham today.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
The recipient was Ray Wheaton who's been made a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order. Mr Wheaton is the Queen's Page of the Chambers.

Last edited:
This is the sort of evidence I have been waiting to see. No doubt it will appear in the CC in the next month or so (they are up to date to the 1st January by the way so who knows???)

She didn't make the usual award on the first Sunday of January but that may have been delayed due to it falling on New Year's Day anyway.

This would be the first official engagement of the year being carried out by HM the Queen I suspect.

If the award is usually made on the 1st Sunday in January, the Queen probably always is the first family member to carry out an engagement, unless Princess Anne gets in there first! :lol:

Rhiannon Mills ‏@SkyRhiannon 5m5 minutes ago
The Queen has just arrived at church in Sandringham. Wearing blue she arrived by car with Prince Philip

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 3m3 minutes ago
Breaking: Queen arrives by car at church today - William, Kate and entire Middleton family there too!

Thank goodness the Queen is feeling well enough now to attend church service. It's good to hear!

All is right with the world once again! Glad to see that the Queen and the DoE are back on their feet and surrounded by family and friends.

Great to see H.M. at the Church service,hopefully the queen is feeling much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom