Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen Elizabeth received the Ambassador of Greece and the Ambassador of Latvia at Buckingham Palace on November 17:

** gettyimages gallery **

Oh dear!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Had to smile at the various remarks regarding the Queen's expectant invite to The Donald! :lol:

When it happens (and assuming no hic-ups for The D. in claiming the US throne), it will be the US President who is invited not the money spinner owner of T. Towers.

By now I'm sure the Queen has a Masters in segregating the official from the non official! :cool:

Jury still out on Philip though!! ;)

Oh my God.

The comment on the UK political blogs was that the Brits want the Queen to "do her thing" and soften Trump up before he meets with Theresa May for serious business.

Whether it will work or not remains to be seen, but it confirms my earlier point on the British government understanding the strategic value of the Queen in post-Brexit foreign relations.

When it comes to global politics and learning the lessons of diplomacy between countries, who better to advise and guide a brand new President of the United States with absolutely zero experience in any kind of politics outside of business deals than the Grand Mistress of Diplomacy with over 60 years of experience.

If there is one thing I hope that Donald Trump realizes is that it'd be wise to heed the words of HM, The Queen. :D

When it comes to global politics and learning the lessons of diplomacy between countries, who better to advise and guide a brand new President of the United States with absolutely zero experience in any kind of politics outside of business deals than the Grand Mistress of Diplomacy with over 60 years of experience.

If there is one thing I hope that Donald Trump realizes is that it'd be wise to heed the words of HM, The Queen. :D
She would be a wonderful advisor and guide. But he thinks he knows everything, so he won't listen.

I believe the guy didn't expect and certainly didn't want to become the next American Precident!
It was all about proving a point; but when you do that on a global stage, your mess, you pick it up!
Unlike the then child Elizabeth, who had no say in her future (other than following in the footsteps of her Uncle David), but who took on the role with all it's pros and cons, The D could do a lot worse than looking for diplomancy tips from QE2!

I had no idea Eddie Redmayne was in the same year as Prince William at Eton College ! Do they know each other well ?

I think that they played on the same rugby team so they might know each other pretty well. Don't know if they have kept in touch over the years.

I had no idea Eddie Redmayne was in the same year as Prince William at Eton College ! Do they know each other well ?

There have been a lot of posts about this over the years. Maybe try a google search for "the royal forums" +redmayne +william and see what pops up.
Google search is much more selective than the Forums search is. More about that somewhere in the members forums.
Eddie often tosses an acceptable mention about the good old days out there when asked. When pressed for insider stuff, he deflects the questions really well. He has not leveraged the relationship to play the press, so good on him! IMO

Let's get back on topic.

BREAKING: tHE Queen cancels her train ride to Sandringham today.
No confirmation on reason: Illness or security reported.

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
"The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh have heavy colds, and so have decided not to travel to Sandringham today," says Buckingham Palace

I hope The Queen and Prince Philip feels better soon!

They both have 'heavy Colds', so have delayed their travel plans..

It's unusual for them to be sick at the same time.

Wonder if one of their little guests at lunch shared some germs with them :sad: I do hope they get better soon. Worrisome they are both ill, and it was enough to keep them in London. I would understand cancelling an engagement as wouldn't need stress and public. But going to their estate is different. Hopefully they are on the mend and heading home soon.

I wonder what happens to Christmas at Sandringham if they dont make it up there. Know it's only a cold, but has to be severe for them to change plans, and only four days till Christmas.

We just have to take what the announcement tells us and that is that both the Queen and the DoE have severe colds and are delaying their trip to Sandringham.

This comes a day after the announcement that roads will be shut down for the Changing of the Guards due to security reasons. It may be possible that measures are being taken to be extra precautionary and best to not panic the public any more than they'd have to.

Then again, it may be exactly what it is. Colds. Its just that these nonagenerians very rarely, if ever, pull out of doing anything that they're scheduled to do and when it does happen, the world takes notice. To me, that's one heck of a reputation for work ethic and reliability.

Whatever is going on, I hope their holidays are the best yet.

I'm sure IMO theres no underlying reason other than what has been stated- they both have colds. It would seem, as we haven't heard otherwise, they were well enough to attend lunch yesterday with the family so I really think this is a case of two 90+year olds saying they don't feel great today so aren't going to sit on a train for three hours as they can just as easily go tomorrow. If they were really ill or security was an issue they could have / would have gone by helicopter.

Last edited:
I'm sure IMO theres no underlying reason other than what has been stated- they both have colds. It would seem, as we haven't heard otherwise, they were well enough to attend lunch yesterday with the family so I really think this is a case of two 90+year olds saying they don't feel great today so aren't going to sit on a train for three hours as they can just as easily go tomorrow. If they were really ill or security was an issue they could have / would have gone by helicopter.

Doesn't come as a surprise does it!Most 90+ years old are already 6 foot under...So,those that still live are untitled to an occasional caugh aren't they I'd say!

Doesn't come as a surprise does it!Most 90+ years old are already 6 foot under...So,those that still live are untitled to an occasional caugh aren't they I'd say!

Thanks lucien. You've just put a picture in my head of HM and the DoE all cozied up with lots of pillows and blankets and having hot chicken noodle soup on trays in front of the TV and catching up on favorite shows or maybe being sentimental and watching a DVD of "South Pacific" yet again.

If any couple deserve to be coddled it is this duo. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom