Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the couple likely to be travelling abroad at all this year?

They have a State Visit to Germany in June.

I would also expect them to go to Malta for CHOGM.

Probably cut himself when he was in shock after hearing prime minister Abbott had made him a Sir in the Australia Day honors I know the whole of Australia was in shock !!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't know about the 'whole' of Australia. I had heard this rumour a few weeks ago when I was visiting friends in Canberra, none of whom work for the government. They told me that it was in the works for either Australia Day or the Queen's Birthday this year according to a number of mutual friends they knew in various relevant government departments.

Philip would have known months ago as he would have had to accept the honour. The honourees are notified at least 2 months in advance with about 2 weeks to accept or reject the offer.

I do know that , it was tongue in cheek that I said he was in shock

I doubt anyone in Australia was shocked. Some of us would have been delighted, some would have been pleased, some would have been amused, some would have been angry but not at all surprised much less shocked, and I suspect the majority just rolled their eyes then quickly moved on to the form guide or whatever else was of actual interest to them at the time.

I am in the amused and mildly irritated camp. Philip has enough gongs already and I think these gongs should go to Australians; there are plenty of worthy Australians and I find it laughable that he has given this to Prince Philip. I suspect Abbott has done this as a personal coup, fearing he is likely to get kicked out of office in the not too distant future and wanting to do something he wanted to do as a monarchist, while he still has the power to do it.

Last edited:
Well I can tell you I and everyone I know was shocked. We never would have thought that would happen

Same for me. I am floored!

And Sir Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh sounds plain silly.

I approve of people who have done fine things receiving a special title. Being called Dame ... and Sir ... is a clear sign of the high regard society places on their contribution and achievements. (I find the AO, OAM, AC etc. acceptable but cumbersome - there are too many levels. Sir and Dame are simple and recognisable.) However, Prince Philip already is known by a special title.
He is well thought of in Australia for his Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme in particular and so is worthy of praise for many things.
Him receiving the absolute highest title for doing his job very well is excessive. I would not have been shocked with an AO or an AC but to add Sir to his name seems ridiculous. Another worthy recipient should have enjoyed that honour.
Tony Abbott might go down in history for making as many inappropriate gaffes as Prince Philip himself - except at least Prince Philip is amusing.

Philip already had an Order of Australia. He wasn't a Knight of the Order, although Charles has been since 1981 so this is simply giving Philip the same status in that order that his son already has.

I would not have been shocked with an AO or an AC but to add Sir to his name seems ridiculous.

He already had an AC, and in any case he's been a knight since 1947 so nothing would get added to his name even if he didn't have royal and peerage titles.

I'm moving from amused and mildly irritated to angry. What on earth has Prince Philip done for Australia to deserve this? I consider it's cringe-worthy. It might wake up the republican movement leaders though and motivate them into action.

I'm moving from amused and mildly irritated to angry. What on earth has Prince Philip done for Australia to deserve this? I consider it's cringe-worthy. It might wake up the republican movement leaders though and motivate them into action.

Can I ask who else has received the same honour as Philip?

Since the reintroduction of knighthoods, I know that the former and the current Governor Generals of Australia have been knighted. PM Abbott also said the Queen approved a knighthood for Angus Houston, the Scottish-born former chief of defense (US spelling) who was recently involved in the (so far, unsuccessful) search for flight MH370.

Australia did away with knighthoods and Dames in 1983. In a strange backwards moment, Tony Abbott decided made a unilateral decision to revive them last year.

The incoming and outgoing Governors General - Quentin Bryce & Peter Cosgrove were the first to receive the re-established honour last year. The former GG & High Court Justice Sir Ninian Stephen was honoured before knighthoods were abolished. The Governor of NSW was honoured last year & the former Chief of the Defence staff with Prince Philip. So that's 5 Australians, Prince Charles & Prince Philip.

I think the next prime minister is likely to abolish them again. Tony Abbott's decision was ridiculed on all sides of the political spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Canada doesn't have knighthoods but Prince Philip was named a Companion of the Order of Canada and a Commander of the Order of Military Merit, the highest honours we bestow and no one here batted an eyelash at the decision outside of Quebec

I think The Duke of Edinburgh is very deserving of his Australian knighthood

Last edited:
Prince Philip should've been awarded the Knighthood a long time ago.

Like many, I suppose that I see Philip being honored with the AK primarily as a mark of respect and appreciation of a very long service as a companion and consort to the Queen of Australia along with appreciation for all that he has been involved in over the decades in relationship to Australia.

Knighthoods may pass again with a different GG and Australia even deciding to become a republic after QEII passes but for now, I find it heartwarming to see Philip being appreciated in his sunset years.

Australia did away with knighthoods and Dames in 1983. In a strange backwards moment, Tony Abbott decided made a unilateral decision to revive them last year.

The incoming and outgoing Governors General - Quentin Bryce & Peter Cosgrove were the first to receive the re-established honour last year. The former GG & High Court Justice Sir Ninian Stephen was honoured before knighthoods were abolished. The Governor of NSW was honoured last year & the former Chief of the Defence staff with Prince Philip. So that's 5 Australians, Prince Charles & Prince Philip.

I think the next prime minister is likely to abolish them again. Tony Abbott's decision was ridiculed on all sides of the political spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Out of curiosity can anyone recieve the knighthood? Or does it have a set of requirements?

Canada doesn't have knighthoods but Prince Philip was named a Companion of the Order of Canada and a Commander of the Order of Military Merit, the highest honours we bestow and no one here batted an eyelash at the decision outside of Quebec

I think The Duke of Edinburgh is very deserving of his Australian knighthood

When did Canada abolish knighthoods ? As I recall, the early Canadian PMs like John A. McDonald and Wilfred Laurier were knights.

Out of curiosity can anyone recieve the knighthood? Or does it have a set of requirements?

It is to be awarded for outstanding and pre-eminent service to Australia or humanity at large. If the recipient is not an Australian citizen then the award is an honorary one and there can be no more than 4 knights or dames created in a year. Those are the only requirements.

Prince Philip should've been awarded the Knighthood a long time ago.

Why?

What has he done FOR AUSTRALIA? Nothing that I can think of other than walk a few steps behind his wife for over 60 years.

This is not a good, or sensible, decision by the PM. Even his own party members don't support this decision and all it does in show how out of touch with ordinary Aussies the PM is.

I have some republican friends who are rejoicing at this decision as it is raising the profile of the republican movement again, along with the oppositions call for a renewal of the republican debate in his Australia Day address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom