Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: thanks Osipi for the cute picture :) I agree if anyone deserves some coddling and just rest it is these two. Hopefully they get the rest needed for the weekend.

Oh dear, I hope that both HM and Prince Philip get better soon. It would be unfortunate if they were ill over the Christmas period. :sad:

Hope that the colds are of short duration and that there is no repeat of when Phillip was very ill during the Christmas of 2011.

I think we can all rest assured that no matter what the illness, the couple will have the very best of medical attention at their disposal. Nothing will be chanced or overlooked and everything taken into consideration.

The only snafu I could see in this is getting the DoE to meekly follow doctor's orders. HM would listen and heed but I imagine the DoE still doesn't go quietly into the night and does things his own way. :)

Maybe the two of them, and the remaining dorgi, will be driven to Sandringham rather than worry about a train journey. I hope the Queen and Prince Philip get better soon and can have their usual lovely Christmas at Sandringham. If, by some misfortune, neither can make it, possible at their ages, I suppose the Sandringham gathering will go ahead anyway and Charles will be the host.

Maybe the two of them, and the remaining dorgi, will be driven to Sandringham rather than worry about a train journey. I hope the Queen and Prince Philip get better soon and can have their usual lovely Christmas at Sandringham. If, by some misfortune, neither can make it, possible at their ages, I suppose the Sandringham gathering will go ahead anyway and Charles will be the host.

Could be, or the family take Christmas to them (the Queen and Philip) at Windsor or Buckingham Palace.

Although, I'm guessing they will make it to Sandringham.

Have they ever not gone to Sandringham?

LaRae

Could be, or the family take Christmas to them (the Queen and Philip) at Windsor or Buckingham Palace.

Although, I'm guessing they will make it to Sandringham.

I would think Windsor if sandringham is too far. Windsor would accommodate a private family Christmas. Buckingham is better suited for official dinners, or the lunch recently.

Have they ever not gone to Sandringham?

LaRae

For many years they did Christmas at Windsor and decamped to Sandringham for Boxing Day. Then the family kept expanding in the 80s so the Queen decided to change things to how they are now - extended family Christmas in the week before Christmas at BP and she and Philip would move to Sandringham a few days before Christmas while everyone else would move in for their short stay on Christmas Eve with many of them leaving either on Christmas Day itself or on Boxing Day.

Wasn't it after the fire at windsor that the move to Sandringham was made permanent? Hopefully the Queen and Philip will be feeling better soon, it will be interesting to see if they do travel today as was suggested by some sources yesterday.

Thanks lucien. You've just put a picture in my head of HM and the DoE all cozied up with lots of pillows and blankets and having hot chicken noodle soup on trays in front of the TV and catching up on favorite shows or maybe being sentimental and watching a DVD of "South Pacific" yet again.

If any couple deserve to be coddled it is this duo. :D

The chicken noodle soup!!That'll do it!!Plus the cozy picture you describe above!!plus the "move over cabbage" and "Philip!Not again!"

They're going to be OK,they are mastodonts!:)

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have just left Buckingham Palace by helicopter to start their Christmas break at Sandringham, Norfolk

Last edited:
@BBCPeterHunt:
The Queen and Prince Philip, who had heavy colds, will fly by helicopter to Sandringham in Norfolk to start their Christmas break-
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/status/811923845112283136

I guess it's best for them to fly there than travel on the train. Hopefully, no one will have a problem with them using the helicopter to fly to Sandringham. Any other royal, people would be doing backflips on the net.

Last edited:
Good for them, I hope their have a Happy Christmas time:xmastree2::angel:

I thought the Queen would not ride in a helicopter.

@BBCPeterHunt:
The Queen and Prince Philip, who had heavy colds, will fly by helicopter to Sandringham in Norfolk to start their Christmas break-
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/status/811923845112283136

I guess it's best for them to fly there than travel on the train. Hopefully, no one will have a problem with them using the helicopter to fly to Sandringham. Any other royal, people would be doing backflips on the net.

there is a big difference between a 90 year old sovereign and her 95 year old consort flying because they are ill and perfectly fit and healthy 30+ year olds choosing to fly house to house on a regular basis. anyway the most important thing is they are going to be at Sandringham and hopefully feeling better.

Members of the public cheered once The Queen and Prince Philip touched down at Sandringham-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/811958577585909760

there is a big difference between a 90 year old sovereign and her 95 year old consort flying because they are ill and perfectly fit and healthy 30+ year olds choosing to fly house to house on a regular basis. anyway the most important thing is they are going to be at Sandringham and hopefully feeling better.

tommy100, the other members of the family don't fly from house to house on a regular bases. They only do so when it's totally necessary and with the permission of The Queen. She's the only one who approves of such transportation.

Last edited:
With two helicopters on lease to HM, The Queen, the cost of the lease is paid regardless whether or not the birds ever leave the ground. HM, known to be frugal, examines the reason for the use of a helicopter, who is using it and where it is transporting to or from before it gets the royal assent.

It is often the complaint that other means of transportation could have been used but do those that complain actually stop and think that perhaps another mode of transportation (such as a public train line) would casue more problems than be a convenience such as security, disruption to the public etc?

I'm happy that the two of them were able to just fly off to Sandringham and have the shortest trip possible between the two places. I can imagine that even with colds, both HM and the DoE feel much, much better being "home" for the holidays and all is as it should be.

Come to think of it, the only time I can really remember seeing HM get into a helicopter was for her grand entrance into the London Olympic Games of 2012 with Daniel Craig. I will never, ever forget that. Classic.

There are certainly times, with all royals who use the helicopter, that it can easily be argued it wasn't necessary. But that isn't the point of this discussion :ermm:

Glad to see the queen and Philip headed home fir Christmas. Though they may not like taking the helicopter, much shorter abd less stressful on them at their age and being sick. Now they are home and can enjoy a quiet family holiday, well as quiet as it can be either all the kids:ROFLMAO: I wonder if Philip will ride with his wife to church instead of walking with the rest of the family.

Last edited:
I wonder if Philip will ridevwuth his wife to church instead of walking with the rest of the family.

I'm going to place my bet right now that he walks with the family to church. I would be inclined to believe that Philip takes a page out of Margaret Rhode's recipe book for handling a cold. Nothing cures an ailment better than a brisk walk outside. :D

The Queen took the helicopter to visit Philip in the hospital in Cambridge couple of years ago.

Oh you're right! I'd forgotten about that. Thanks!

Members of the public cheered once The Queen and Prince Philip touched down at Sandringham-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/811958577585909760

tommy100, the other members of the family don't fly from house to house on a regular bases. They only do so when it's totally necessary and with the permission of The Queen. She's the only one who approves of such transportation.

I know the Queen approves use of the helicopter, I was simply stating that this is different from other times when royal use the helicopter even when they could drive or take the train.

The most important thing IMO is that hopefully its a sign the Queen and Philip are feeling slightly better ready for their Christmas celebrations.

I'm glad to hear that HM and Prince Philip have managed to make it to Sandringham - and lovely to hear that they were cheered as they did so, too.

With two helicopters on lease to HM, The Queen, the cost of the lease is paid regardless whether or not the birds ever leave the ground. HM, known to be frugal, examines the reason for the use of a helicopter, who is using it and where it is transporting to or from before it gets the royal assent.

It is often the complaint that other means of transportation could have been used but do those that complain actually stop and think that perhaps another mode of transportation (such as a public train line) would casue more problems than be a convenience such as security, disruption to the public etc?

I'm happy that the two of them were able to just fly off to Sandringham and have the shortest trip possible between the two places. I can imagine that even with colds, both HM and the DoE feel much, much better being "home" for the holidays and all is as it should be.

Come to think of it, the only time I can really remember seeing HM get into a helicopter was for her grand entrance into the London Olympic Games of 2012 with Daniel Craig. I will never, ever forget that. Classic.

That was absolutely incredible and I'll bet HM really enjoyed doing it.

Had read about the delay abut not the eventual outcome, so good news!

If that (epic journey) was her last 'choper ride shame on the rest of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom