Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 25: April 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen's message to President Obama:

"I was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of life and devastation caused by yesterday’s tornado in Oklahoma. Prince Philip joins me in offering our heartfelt condolences to the victims and their families at this difficult time. Our deepest sympathies go out to all those whose lives have been affected, as well as the American people."

Elizabeth R

The Queen's message to President Obama

I dont know which thread to put this on - so please feel free to move. And apologies if it is a duplicate.

This is an article on the upcoming exhibition at BP for the Coronation. There are some lovely photos - a couple I've never seen before

Queen's coronation outfit to go on show at Buckingham Palace for first time in celebration of 60th anniversary | Mail Online

Thank you for this article :flowers:. The pictures are absolutely beautiful. Her Majesty's Coronation Robe was fit for well, a Queen, and it suited her quite nicely. She looked the part, and I think the regalia just added to it. Anne and Charles looked absolutely precious.

I don't Know if this is the right place.

The Queen (Will Helen Mirren Dressed as the Queen) fulfills a boy (with Down Syndrome) wish to meet the Queen and have Tea.

http://m.today.com/entertainment/he...-boy-down-syndrome-terminal-cancer-6C10018472

Helen Mirren gives royal welcome to boy with Down syndrome, terminal cancer
Randee DawnTODAY contributor

Dame Helen Mirren all by herself is pretty terrific. But put the 70-year-old Oscar winner in the outfit of the Queen, and she wears it like a superhero.

Recently, she stormed outside mid-performance of her London show "The Audience" (in which she plays Queen Elizabeth II) to unload on noisy drummers (and later publicly wore a handmade T-shirt supporting their cause). But her latest deed goes one step further: Last week, she agreed to have tea with 10-year-old Oliver Burton, who has Down syndrome and has been battling cancer for much of his short life.

Burton was diagnosed with leukemia in 2006, and was recently given a terminal diagnosis, according to a Facebook page set up to support him. But he had one dying wish: To have afternoon tea with the Queen and visit Buckingham Palace, as reported by the Leicester Mercury.

A national trust designed to support cancer-stricken children requested the actual Queen Elizabeth II -- who couldn't work it into her schedule.

So Mirren stepped forward to invite him to the Gielgud Theatre to see her play the Queen -- and invited him backstage to share tea and cake and to meet the corgis who star in the play with her. There were even footmen.And naturally, she was in costume the entire time.

"Our incredibly brave Ollie has Tea with The Queen!" the National/Regional Children's Tumor Leukaemia and Cancer Trust posted on their page.

His mother Catherine told the Mercury, "Dame Helen was brilliant. She stayed in character the whole time and spent a lot of time talking to Oliver and drawing him out of himself. She signed his British flag, which he waves all the time."

She also knighted him, with her hand. Now, that's royal behavior.

I am disappointed that HMQ failed this request.

Queen Elizabeth has met Croatian President Ivo Josipovic and his wife during a private audience at Buckingham Palace today, May 22, 2013.

** Pic **

I couldn't help but notice the photo's of the Queen and Prince Consort of Denmark on the table behind Queen Elizabeth II! :previous:

If she granted everyone of these requests she would be inundated with them. I am not disappointed but fully understanding of this situation - and in all likelihood The Queen herself was never even informed as this would have been dealt with by staff who get 10000s of requests to do things every year that they turn down for all sorts of reasons.

The Queen (Will Helen Mirren Dressed as the Queen) fulfills a boy (with Down Syndrome) wish to meet the Queen and have Tea.

Helen Mirren gives royal welcome to boy with Down syndrome, terminal cancer - TODAY.com

Dame Helen Mirren all by herself is pretty terrific. But put the 70-year-old Oscar winner in the outfit of the Queen, and she wears it like a superhero.

Recently, she stormed outside mid-performance of her London show "The Audience" (in which she plays Queen Elizabeth II) to unload on noisy drummers (and later publicly wore a handmade T-shirt supporting their cause). But her latest deed goes one step further: Last week, she agreed to have tea with 10-year-old Oliver Burton, who has Down syndrome and has been battling cancer for much of his short life.

Burton was diagnosed with leukemia in 2006, and was recently given a terminal diagnosis, according to a Facebook page set up to support him. But he had one dying wish: To have afternoon tea with the Queen and visit Buckingham Palace, as reported by the Leicester Mercury.

A national trust designed to support cancer-stricken children requested the actual Queen Elizabeth II -- who couldn't work it into her schedule.

So Mirren stepped forward to invite him to the Gielgud Theatre to see her play the Queen -- and invited him backstage to share tea and cake and to meet the corgis who star in the play with her. There were even footmen.And naturally, she was in costume the entire time.

"Our incredibly brave Ollie has Tea with The Queen!" the National/Regional Children's Tumor Leukaemia and Cancer Trust posted on their page.

His mother Catherine told the Mercury, "Dame Helen was brilliant. She stayed in character the whole time and spent a lot of time talking to Oliver and drawing him out of himself. She signed his British flag, which he waves all the time."

This made my day- love Helen! And she so looks like the Queen! They should have had an actor along to play Phillip..... The perfect person comes to mind....
No, not James Cromwell!
Later- I did not realize this took place backstage at " The Audience"- How I wish "Mr. Churchill" had been there!

Last edited:
This made my day- love Helen! And she so looks like the Queen! They should have had an actor along to play Phillip..... The perfect person comes to mind....
No, not James Cromwell!

Nope... not James Cromwell. As good as a serious drama actor he is, I see him and automatically see Stretch Cunningham from All In The Family. :D

Queen Elizabeth accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh officially opened the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology and the new Rosie Hospital at Cambridge University Hospital in Cambridge today, May 23.

** gettyimages gallery ** daylife **

Pictures:
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh arrive at the Rosie Maternity Hospital at Cambridge in London-
Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh arrive at the Rosie Maternity Hospital at Cambridge in London - Pictures - Zimbio

Well she does qualify for a bus pass ... the Queen hops on a single decker as she tours Cambridge 'Nobel Peace Factory' (and true to form, it turned up 15 minutes late)-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...Factory-true-form-turned-15-minutes-late.html

The Queen was given a baby doll for baby Cambridge.

Last edited:
Pictures:
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh arrive at the Rosie Maternity Hospital at Cambridge in London-
Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh arrive at the Rosie Maternity Hospital at Cambridge in London - Pictures - Zimbio

Well she does qualify for a bus pass ... the Queen hops on a single decker as she tours Cambridge 'Nobel Peace Factory' (and true to form, it turned up 15 minutes late)-
The Queen hops on a single decker as she tours Cambridge 'Nobel Peace Factory' (and true to form, it turned up 15 minutes late) | Mail Online

Wonderful pics!

Helen Mirren gives royal welcome to boy with Down syndrome, terminal cancer - TODAY.com

The Daily Mail has some fantastic photos if anybody could post the article. Helen sat in Ollie's wheelchair- he sat on her throne- I could cry!

This was such a kind of gesture! Yes, it would have been great if Her Majesty could have made this visit, but she may have had engagements that could not be rescheduled. I bet if she could, she would have been there. In any case, it looks like Oliver had a blast, even if he didn't meet the 'real' Queen.

No, not James Cromwell!
Later- I did not realize this took place backstage at " The Audience"- How I wish "Mr. Churchill" had been there!

Oliver would have been in heaven then. Who knows? Maybe 'Mr. Churchill' will cross his path in the near future, along with Her Majesty.

Pictures:

The Queen hops on a single decker as she tours Cambridge 'Nobel Peace Factory' (and true to form, it turned up 15 minutes late) | Mail Online

Lovely images. Her Majesty looks wonderful.

Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale 1h
Queen will meet families of soldiers serving in Afghanistan at Woolwich barracks next Friday. Lunch in sergeants mess

I am disappointed that HMQ failed this request.

During her Golden Jubilee, Her Majesty invited kids from Make a Wish UK to Bukingham Palace. And a few years ago she granted a private audience to a little one whose dying wish was to bake her a chocolate cake. ( Starlight Foundation.)
So she does what she can. Often when she cannot the Duke of Cambridge will visit the child later. I would not be surprised if this happened in this case.....

Monarch of the Glen: This astonishing photo of the Queen was taken at her beloved Balmoral and marks the 60th anniversary of her Coronation. Robert Hardman tells the behind-the-scenes story:
Photo of the Queen at her beloved Balmoral and marks the 60th anniversary of her Coronation. Robert Hardman tells the behind-the-scenes story | Mail Online

Never thought I would see The Queen in her Thistle robes near a stream at Balmoral. I also like the portrait of The Duke of Cambridge in her Garter robes in the Garter room at Windsor. I was wondering why this portrait has never really been released? It's a powerful portrait. Wondering if one will be done with Catherine standing next to him?

Camilla and the Keepers of the country: From the Lady of the Isles to the Queen's Swan Marker, the weird and wonderful ancient roles that help keep British history alive:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ancient-roles-help-British-history-alive.html

Last edited:
Monarch of the Glen: This astonishing photo of the Queen was taken at her beloved Balmoral and marks the 60th anniversary of her Coronation. Robert Hardman tells the behind-the-scenes story:
Photo of the Queen at her beloved Balmoral and marks the 60th anniversary of her Coronation. Robert Hardman tells the behind-the-scenes story | Mail Online

Never thought I would see The Queen in her Thistle robes near a stream at Balmoral. I also like the portrait of The Duke of Cambridge in her Garter robes in the Garter room at Windsor. I was wondering why this portrait has never really been released? It's a powerful portrait. Wondering if one will be done with Catherine standing next to him?
Love all the photos- especially the one of Her Majesty at her desk. Love the photo of her in her robes and tiara among the hills of Balmoral. Don't know why, but I do... Just beautiful in a different sort of way. And William in his robes- what a hunk! I know he is married.

The photos of Her Majesty and her horses almost made me cry! She is on a par with Siegfried from All Creatures Great and Small, and Robert Hardy. That is high praise folks......

There's so much tenderness in the interactions between Her Majesty and her horses (and corgis too). You can see that she truly loves these creatures, and enjoys their company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom