The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #561  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Then the Palace should say, I know health is a private issue but she is the Queen and if its going to change her routine then they should be honest. Its better than week after week of bad press for HM.

I don't have an issue with the Queen (a woman of 87 with a husband of 92) not wanting to collect flowers but if she is going to walk straight from car to church then straight back to the car why not keep the public away from the church - didn't they do this a few years ago when they clamped down hard on people taking photographs?

I must say that personal I agree that its ridiculous people getting upset because their child didn't get to give flowers to the Queen as if its some god given right to. But to me the issue is, why the sudden change now?

It all just seems rather odd to me, clearly something has changed either in the Queen's attitude or because she has been advised not to collect flowers. I don't understand why not just say whats going on, until they do people will just speculate over and over and every Sunday we are going to have the same bad press for HM.
I agree with all you say here.

There's been a change and a recent one and there has to be a reason. She's done it for years and as recently as a few weeks ago, but the last two weeks she's bolted off home without taking any flowers and doing it in circumstances which I would think would be a PR manager's nightmare because of the images that were captured. A little boy one week and now a little girl in a wheelchair.

Sensible or not, good or bad, there is now a tradition of parents turning up and thrusting flower-bearing children at the Queen, and of her accepting these offerings. If she's decided to stop accepting them, an announcement should have been made so people know in advance and can't complain of disappointment if she doesn't take them. Actually people should have gotten the message after this second snub, but it would have been nice to be treated with the courtesy of an explanation.

If the Royals make a habit of treating the people with contempt, they'll find people stop turning up to see them at all, and they won't like that.
__________________

__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
  #562  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 AM
Conny's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mechernich, Germany
Posts: 84
These were the two Sundays following Christmas - the 29th December and 5th January. The Queen usually stays on at Sandringham after Christmas and I doubt if every time she attends the church it involves receiving flowers from dozens of children. Traditionally those who give flowers on Christmas Day are local children but according to the reports some of those who were there this year had travelled fifty miles or more. I think there's some attempted manipulation going on and the Queen won't play along with it.
__________________

  #563  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 AM
Queen Camilla's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,861
It isn't contempt if she doesn't collect flowers.

It has already been stated that the Queen is grateful for the flowers but does not always collect them.

If she is by herself as she was in the latest incident clearly she wasn't going to collect the flowers.

End of story.

The boy standing behind the Queen's car and the next time a girl in a wheelchair. What next a baby in crutches? All looked staged.
  #564  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,633
Something really has been lost somewhere down the line here. Giving a gift of flowers is a beautiful gesture and I'm sure the Queen has felt touched and grateful that people think enough of her to bring her bouquets. Somewhere in time, it became more of a standard rule of thumb practice and people started to think the Queen was obligated to do this. She misses collecting flowers for two Sundays and the world is up in arms that the Queen is snubbing people and is being rude and a few other not so endearing opinions.

HM owes no one any obligation when she attends church services on her respite from an exhausting job that she does 24/7 for her people. After over 60 years of steadfast duty to crown and country, one would think that people would think of her as more than a dog and pony show there for their own entertainment and photo-ops.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
  #565  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,193
The PR will follow though and it is bad.

She has accepted the flowers when she has gone to Sandringham in the past but this year - with no notice to the public - just suddenly she stops.

People have travelled for long distances in the past.

Whether the images were staged or not those images are out there and the PR from them is awful - it could be the start of the Windsor's 'let them eat cake' (which isn't what Marie Antoinette said but which still was awful PR) and royals can't afford, ever to have bad PR as they rely on that to stay in business.
  #566  
Old 01-07-2014, 05:01 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Whether the images were staged or not those images are out there and the PR from them is awful - it could be the start of the Windsor's 'let them eat cake' (which isn't what Marie Antoinette said but which still was awful PR) and royals can't afford, ever to have bad PR as they rely on that to stay in business.
Quite melodramatic, IMO
  #567  
Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Something really has been lost somewhere down the line here. Giving a gift of flowers is a beautiful gesture and I'm sure the Queen has felt touched and grateful that people think enough of her to bring her bouquets. Somewhere in time, it became more of a standard rule of thumb practice and people started to think the Queen was obligated to do this. She misses collecting flowers for two Sundays and the world is up in arms that the Queen is snubbing people and is being rude and a few other not so endearing opinions.

HM owes no one any obligation when she attends church services on her respite from an exhausting job that she does 24/7 for her people. After over 60 years of steadfast duty to crown and country, one would think that people would think of her as more than a dog and pony show there for their own entertainment and photo-ops.
Frankly I think the giving of flowers to the Queen is a stupid ritual, not something touching. The flowers rarely stay in her hands for more than a minute or so and I think it is a bit of a joke. However it did become a standard practice and because she kept doing it the people started to think HM was obligated to do it. And the Queen and/or her advisors and/or hangers on acquiesced and allowed this practice to develop. And it became a tradition and a beneficial one because it provided an opportunity for the people to "connect" with their monarch.

The world isn't up in arms that she is snubbing people; it's not very important to most of the world. But it was a major PR snafu and that is all that most of us are really saying.

No sensible person expects a woman of her age to continue to do everything she has done all her adult life. But the Queen has contributed to the expectation that as long as she can be seen she is accessible by her own words and actions. Back when she was a young woman she publicly committed herself to give lifelong service to her people. On her 21st birthday, Princess Elizabeth said, "I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong." And she made herself available to do walkabouts and collect flowers, and now she's suddenly stopped.

The Queen has given over 60 years' devoted service, but that is no more than she vowed to do. If she finds her job exhausting now, as I imagine she probably does, she should wind down and delegate more and more of her duties to her successor, and make it known that she won't be doing as much of the flower-collecting stuff.

The fact is that the BRF is a dog and pony show for the entertainment of the people and for photo ops. The monarch doesn't run the country; the people through their elected Parliament run the country. The arrangement continues to work well, but the royals have a very privileged place in society which requires them to be on show and to perform certain tricks for the entertainment of the people. Once they stop being entertaining they will have outlived their usefulness and won't be kept around.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
  #568  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Victorian-Dandy's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: York, United Kingdom
Posts: 83
I still suspect that the Queen is under the weather which is why she isn't hanging around after the church service for these last couple of weeks.

And just because she is feeling unwell doesn't mean that BP have to make a press release stating so, I'm pretty certain that they don't reveal every time she has a cold or other relatively minor illness. I'd much rather her be cautious and go from church straight to Sandringham rather than hang around collecting flowers since at her age a minor cold can quite easily turn into something far worse.

Personally I believe that when the officer spoke out the other week and mentioned "she was going to be late for her lunch so couldn't hang around" (or words to that effect) that they were bang out of order.

Also I would never dream of dragging some child or anyone else for that matter five miles let alone fifty on the off chance that they got to present flowers to someone just so I could fawn over the event.

In all the years I've been interested in the Royal family (over 40) I've never once expected them to be on show 24/7, they just like anyone else deserve a little down time and it is quite rude of people to assume that just because the Queen (or any other member of the Royal family) is going from A to B that she must stop and do an impromptu meet and greet along the way.

All in all a mountain out of a molehill that is being manipulated by the British Press (nowt new there then).
  #569  
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
marine2109's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
The Queen’s Medal for Music 2013

The Queen has approved the award of Her Majesty’s Medal for Music 2013 to operatic baritone and opera director Sir Thomas Allen CBE. The prize, established in 2005, is awarded to an outstanding individual or group of musicians who have had a major influence on the musical life of the nation. Sir Thomas will be presented with the award by The Queen at an audience later this year.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...Music2013.aspx
  #570  
Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,331
The policemen's statement about the queen not taking flowers because she was late for lunch on Christmas is nonsense- as if her family would have started without her.
  #571  
Old 01-08-2014, 02:26 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,193
It isn't a matter of them starting without her but that cooking staff having the meal ready for a particular time and The Queen and family not being there in time for that meal - say the meal was ready for 1.00 p.m. and she wasn't back at the house in time to change and get down to lunch until 1.10 then she was late.
  #572  
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,048
Good theory. Any substance?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #573  
Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The policemen's statement about the queen not taking flowers because she was late for lunch on Christmas is nonsense- as if her family would have started without her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It isn't a matter of them starting without her but that cooking staff having the meal ready for a particular time and The Queen and family not being there in time for that meal - say the meal was ready for 1.00 p.m. and she wasn't back at the house in time to change and get down to lunch until 1.10 then she was late.
I think the comment from the policeman may have been an off-the-cuff remark, and it has picked up a life of its own.

The routine on Christmas day has been the same for many years, and I am sure enough slack is built into the schedule to allow adequate time for meeting the public. I am sure that if the staff at Sandringham had to be kept waiting for a few minutes, so be it.
  #574  
Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,193
Not if it then impacted on their time with their families - 10 minutes late at the beginning could mean 10 minutes longer at the end and so less time with their own families and on Christmas Day at that - hardly the sign of a thoughtful or considerate boss.
  #575  
Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 AM
cinrit's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Deep South, United States
Posts: 391
I wonder how many would have complained loudly enough to make it to the ears of a police officer, who in all likelihood, was not present at the time.
  #576  
Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 AM
marine2109's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Man found guilty of defacing Queen’s portrait

Social campaigner Tim Haries has been found guilty of defacing the portrait of the Queen that was hung in Westminster Abbey.
The 42-year-old from Doncaster is a campaigner for Fathers4Justice, an organisation that champions the cause of equal parenting and contact for divorced parents with children. In June 2013, he was accused of spraying the word “Help” on the portrait with a can of purple spray paint that he had smuggled into the Abbey.
Man found guilty of defacing Queen’s portrait | Royal Central

Quote:
Elizabeth II: The author of her angry father pictorial assault conviction
http://www.purepeople.com/article/el...able_a134570/1

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...70%2F1&act=url
  #577  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
I wonder how many would have complained loudly enough to make it to the ears of a police officer, who in all likelihood, was not present at the time.
Very well put.
  #578  
Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
vkrish's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 899
See I understand that you all are saying she shouldnt have done so/she cant do so/they should have told why she did so/this is bad PR/this will lead to calls for abdication etc etc etc..

I also agree that this is a bit "stunning" since we all have taken for granted that she is always there to act the same way she has done her entire life..
But if she is losing the physical stamina to stand/bend to collect flowers for a while, or the patience to do so, then we simply cant help.

Here are some suggestions some posters made to "help" the situation..

1.If she cant perform on account of age, she should delegate her duties to others
Oh..so they mean another discussion on abdication? Or they mean that Charles should stand by to collect flowers?
And FYI..Princess Anne received flowers on behalf of HM on Christmas. This was so clearly reported by the even utterly stupid DM..So whats the problem..

2.If she didnt receive due to any problems, they should let us know..
So the day after Christams, the BP will issue a statement saying "HM could not receive flowers from Master XYZ who came from 50-miles, as she has to use the loo urgently..or as she was feeling unwell..or as she got cranky..and we deeply regret this..

3. They should forewarn people not to bring flowers
They never asked anyone to bring flowers. And this is not about the Queen at all. It is the entire BRF. You can give to any lady you please.
This is simply not a big deal.

PS: Even I am disappointed by seeing her stop taking flowers.
But then, things change in life, at some stage, for some reason. We just cant condemn that.
We have to remember that not every change will have to be made with an Act of Parliament/Letters Patent/whatever. Some changes are sudden and some subtle. Just move on..
__________________
The only word I hate in the Royal Dictionary - ABDICATION
  #579  
Old 01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
See I understand that you all are saying she shouldnt have done so/she cant do so/they should have told why she did so/this is bad PR/this will lead to calls for abdication etc etc etc..

I also agree that this is a bit "stunning" since we all have taken for granted that she is always there to act the same way she has done her entire life..
But if she is losing the physical stamina to stand/bend to collect flowers for a while, or the patience to do so, then we simply cant help.

Here are some suggestions some posters made to "help" the situation..

1.If she cant perform on account of age, she should delegate her duties to others
Oh..so they mean another discussion on abdication? Or they mean that Charles should stand by to collect flowers?
And FYI..Princess Anne received flowers on behalf of HM on Christmas. This was so clearly reported by the even utterly stupid DM..So whats the problem..

2.If she didnt receive due to any problems, they should let us know..
So the day after Christams, the BP will issue a statement saying "HM could not receive flowers from Master XYZ who came from 50-miles, as she has to use the loo urgently..or as she was feeling unwell..or as she got cranky..and we deeply regret this..

3. They should forewarn people not to bring flowers
They never asked anyone to bring flowers. And this is not about the Queen at all. It is the entire BRF. You can give to any lady you please.
This is simply not a big deal.

PS: Even I am disappointed by seeing her stop taking flowers.
But then, things change in life, at some stage, for some reason. We just cant condemn that.
We have to remember that not every change will have to be made with an Act of Parliament/Letters Patent/whatever. Some changes are sudden and some subtle. Just move on..
Well put.

Personally I thought the best quote was

"....... and she was in public - so she should perform."
  #580  
Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NN, Lithuania
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
1.If she cant perform on account of age, she should delegate her duties to others
Oh..so they mean another discussion on abdication? Or they mean that Charles should stand by to collect flowers?
And FYI..Princess Anne received flowers on behalf of HM on Christmas. This was so clearly reported by the even utterly stupid DM..So whats the problem..
The Queen took all flowers on Christmas day. She didn't do it on Sunday, several days after Christmas.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 Zonk Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 710 Yesterday 01:30 PM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 9: December 2005-April 2006 Martine Current Events Archive 198 04-14-2006 05:08 PM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 1: December 2002-April 2004 Mary Anne Current Events Archive 230 04-27-2004 12:10 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall's fashion e-mail fashion poll germany grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week poland state visit to norway prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen juliana queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania in oslo royal fashion september 2016 spencers state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises