The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
IF she had Sunday services privately at Sandringham she would be criticized for that as well. Queen or not, this lady is 87+ years old and if her "loyal, loving subjects" can't understand that then it is indeed their problem. She has given of herself ALL her life and if she needs for whatever reason to cut short her walk about it seems to me to be a silly suggestion that she should just now retire inside. Like so much of the public these days it is an issue of entitlement on the part of the public. Would they expect the same thing from their own mothers or grandmothers who are that age?
My stepmothers Grandmother is 93 and can barely walk down a few steps because of the pain in her knees. She needs a zimmer frame to walk around the house and a wheelchair for outdoors. She never had any major health problems. As we age out joints become worn and our mobility declines.

People forget the Queen is 87 and walking is not as easy as it use to be.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
IF she had Sunday services privately at Sandringham she would be criticized for that as well. Queen or not, this lady is 87+ years old and if her "loyal, loving subjects" can't understand that then it is indeed their problem. She has given of herself ALL her life and if she needs for whatever reason to cut short her walk about it seems to me to be a silly suggestion that she should just now retire inside. Like so much of the public these days it is an issue of entitlement on the part of the public. Would they expect the same thing from their own mothers or grandmothers who are that age?
If she had chosen from the start to have sunday services in private, or at the same church just never allowed visitors I would accept that perfectly. But they haven't.
The public accept that she is 87, we have no issues with her age, we know she's been ill this year and age can make you frail etc. But she did it on Christmas Day, and now hasn't done it for the two following weeks. Now if that's down to illness, or frailty in walking then I would accept that. If it's because she was made late for her dinner on Christmas Day by her own subjects actually wanting to meet her and now the family can't be bothered to walk past 3 sets of children to collect some flowers, I have issue.

If my mother or grandmother was The Queen and had partaken in this tradition for years, and offered no explanation as to why she was suddenly stopping, I'd be a little concerned.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
She isn't my mother or grandmother but The Queen and she was in public - so she should perform.

She doesn't go to church publicly all the time - only at Sandringham and Balmoral so she could set it up to do it privately on that places as she does at Windsor most of the rest of the year.

If she isn't up to doing the entire job then she should step down and allow someone who is capable to do so. That is the case in my job - do the entire job or leave and the same rules should apply to her.

Her job isn't hard - turn up, look good and met the people - that is it on days like this and she failed.

She also needs to realise the dreadful PR - one week the photo of the boy next to the car while she drives off, and this week the girl in the wheelchair - and the heartless queen only gives a wave. There is an old saying - a picture tells a thousand words and those two pictures say 'I don't care about you - you are beneath my notice'.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Lumutqueen see post 540. I think there is something wrong with The Queen. It does seem strange two weeks in a row. I thought it was just a one off. The Queen doesn't strike as someone who would all sudden stop taking flowers. Something is not right.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
My stepmothers Grandmother is 93 and can barely walk down a few steps because of the pain in her knees. She needs a zimmer frame to walk around the house and a wheelchair for outdoors. She never had any major health problems. As we age out joints become worn and our mobility declines.

People forget the Queen is 87 and walking is not as easy as it use to be.
Then the Palace should say, I know health is a private issue but she is the Queen and if its going to change her routine then they should be honest. Its better than week after week of bad press for HM.

I don't have an issue with the Queen (a woman of 87 with a husband of 92) not wanting to collect flowers but if she is going to walk straight from car to church then straight back to the car why not keep the public away from the church - didn't they do this a few years ago when they clamped down hard on people taking photographs?

I must say that personal I agree that its ridiculous people getting upset because their child didn't get to give flowers to the Queen as if its some god given right to. But to me the issue is, why the sudden change now?

It all just seems rather odd to me, clearly something has changed either in the Queen's attitude or because she has been advised not to collect flowers. I don't understand why not just say whats going on, until they do people will just speculate over and over and every Sunday we are going to have the same bad press for HM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Lumutqueen see post 540. I think there is something wrong with The Queen. It does seem strange two weeks in a row. I thought it was just a one off. The Queen doesn't strike as someone who would all sudden stop taking flowers. Something is not right.
This may be totally off the wall but it very well could be a scenario of why the Queen has stopped accepting flowers. Maybe I watch too much TV. You be the judge.

Is it plausible that the powers that be have intercepted a credible threat against the Queen and that it could very well be passed to her hidden in a bouquet of flowers and that's why she's been in/out of church as quickly as she can? It might sound far fetched, but sometimes if something like this is brought to Interpol or Scotland Yard's attention, it would be on a "need to know" basis and the public would not be informed and every precaution taken.

Just an odd thought. We just don't know exactly what is going on and most likely we won't.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Aristocracy

The fact that she has always collected flowers from children previously and has just suddenly stopped doing so means there's a reason for the change. Whether it be illness or security threat or whether she has given all the fu**s she had and she can't give anymore, I don't know. And I don't need to know. We'll all find out when it's time for that information to be shared. The end.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This may be totally off the wall but it very well could be a scenario of why the Queen has stopped accepting flowers. Maybe I watch too much TV. You be the judge.

Is it plausible that the powers that be have intercepted a credible threat against the Queen and that it could very well be passed to her hidden in a bouquet of flowers and that's why she's been in/out of church as quickly as she can? It might sound far fetched, but sometimes if something like this is brought to Interpol or Scotland Yard's attention, it would be on a "need to know" basis and the public would not be informed and every precaution taken.

Just an odd thought. We just don't know exactly what is going on and most likely we won't.
Hadn't thought of that but it could be possible. Unfortunately terrorism is now a fact of life - and as far as I'm concerned it means they're winning as we've had to completely alter our way of life because of them. Makes me really mad.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd say no to terrorism. But I have thought about this. Random thoughts:-

She is on holiday - that means no Lady in Waiting. The pictures I have seen, she is on her own in the car and there have been no familiar L-in-W around her.

On Christmas Day, the flowers are collected by sundry family members, taken back to Sandringham and, I understand, distributed to local care homes and hospitals. There is a reasonable police presence because they expect a lot of people, and this year that's what happened. Sometimes they help out with the flower collection.

A single police officer is present on days like today.

I've also noticed that male members don't go near the flowers.

She never keeps the flowers she is given, they are transferred to someone/somewhere else (always, not just at church). She only keeps formal bouquets given on formal engagements.

So if she takes the flowers, that means keeping hold of them herself cos there is no one to hand them to.

And I don't think she does that.

Plus 87, cold, aching bones (she doesn't walk - that's the knee problem) = no flowers

Elementary!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Additional info for today - the Queen had a royal engagement after Church today, so maybe felt she could not be delayed.

Sandringham, Norfolk

5th January, 2014
Divine Service was held in Sandringham Parish Church this morning.
The Bishop of Rochester preached the Sermon.

The Queen presented The Queen Elizabeth Prize for Academic Excellence at Springwood High School, King’s Lynn, to Darion Mayes, who was introduced into Her Majesty’s presence by Mr Andrew Johnson, the Headmaster.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen is getting old, and she has appeared more frail in recent months. She has knee and back problems, she has also struggled with other ailments such as heavy nosebleed, but she is still going strong.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I'd say no to terrorism. But I have thought about this. Random thoughts:-
- that means no Lady in Waiting. The pictures I have seen, she is on her own in the car and there have been no familiar L-in-W around her.
If you look at one of the pictures of her in the car you can see what appears to be a female hand belonging to someone sitting in the back seat of the car w/ her.
As someone watching an 80 year old mom slowly decline, I know there are good days and better days and if the Queen no longer wants to collect flowers every time she goes to church I think that's ok. If anything the press creating the uproar the previous week would cause me to refuse to be manipulated by their faux issues. I can just see Phillip telling her to ****** the press and their silly stories.
Am I the only one that thought it was a little over the top and possibly staged that one of the children waiting was in a wheel chair, or am I just too cynical?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
. . . If my mother or grandmother was The Queen and had partaken in this tradition for years, and offered no explanation as to why she was suddenly stopping, I'd be a little concerned.
Quite agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She isn't my mother or grandmother but The Queen and she was in public - so she should perform.

She doesn't go to church publicly all the time - only at Sandringham and Balmoral so she could set it up to do it privately on that places as she does at Windsor most of the rest of the year.
She is on holiday and although she was in public (if you can call walling from the car to to the Church and back again in public), but she sure as hell wasn't on a working holiday.

Perform? How very Las Vegas, or would that be the Zoo?.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Sandringham the one place that doesn't have a private Chapel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Am I the only one that thought it was a little over the top and possibly staged that one of the children waiting was in a wheel chair, or am I just too cynical?
No you are not. It was a callous and cynical staging to create an "incident".
Old 01-06-2014, 05:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh Attend Church At Sandringham.
Search - Getty Images : GBR: Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh Attend Church At Sandringham.

http://www.brunopress.nl/bin/Brunopr...3D&rnd=472.5.5
Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I find it odd that the Queen isn't accepting flowers but I would think there is an explanation behind it all.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Courtier

interesting how HM is using a rug inside her car to cover the Knees; is the car perhaps not heated?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen always use a blanket to cover her legs when she's in her car or carriage.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

So I went and took a look at old Getty images relating to flowergate.

The crowds are bigger now - and there are more flowers to be gathered lately, it seems.

Here is the search: Search - Getty Images : church sandringham

In 2005, there are some folks with a banner that reads HARRY XMAS The Duchess of Cornwall is the one who collects their flower bouquet, though Harry was there.
In 2003, it looks like the entire family walked the ropes - not much like the walk up the pavement that we see today. Security or procedures are tighter today.

The fashions and hairlines are entertaining. See Bea's footwear in 2003.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:

'.
She is not a puppet, but a human being. You seem to forget that.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
How 'bout a monologue from Chekhov or Eugene O'Neill and then a cover of 'Killing Me Softly'? No? Interpretive dance? Beatboxing?

Closed Thread