Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 25: April 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't a matter of them starting without her but that cooking staff having the meal ready for a particular time and The Queen and family not being there in time for that meal - say the meal was ready for 1.00 p.m. and she wasn't back at the house in time to change and get down to lunch until 1.10 then she was late.

:previous: Good theory. Any substance?

The policemen's statement about the queen not taking flowers because she was late for lunch on Christmas is nonsense- as if her family would have started without her.

It isn't a matter of them starting without her but that cooking staff having the meal ready for a particular time and The Queen and family not being there in time for that meal - say the meal was ready for 1.00 p.m. and she wasn't back at the house in time to change and get down to lunch until 1.10 then she was late.

I think the comment from the policeman may have been an off-the-cuff remark, and it has picked up a life of its own.

The routine on Christmas day has been the same for many years, and I am sure enough slack is built into the schedule to allow adequate time for meeting the public. I am sure that if the staff at Sandringham had to be kept waiting for a few minutes, so be it.

Not if it then impacted on their time with their families - 10 minutes late at the beginning could mean 10 minutes longer at the end and so less time with their own families and on Christmas Day at that - hardly the sign of a thoughtful or considerate boss.

I wonder how many would have complained loudly enough to make it to the ears of a police officer, who in all likelihood, was not present at the time.

Man found guilty of defacing Queen’s portrait

Social campaigner Tim Haries has been found guilty of defacing the portrait of the Queen that was hung in Westminster Abbey.
The 42-year-old from Doncaster is a campaigner for Fathers4Justice, an organisation that champions the cause of equal parenting and contact for divorced parents with children. In June 2013, he was accused of spraying the word “Help” on the portrait with a can of purple spray paint that he had smuggled into the Abbey.

Man found guilty of defacing Queen’s portrait | Royal Central

Elizabeth II: The author of her angry father pictorial assault conviction

http://www.purepeople.com/article/e...gression-picturale-declare-coupable_a134570/1

https://translate.google.com.tr/tra...-picturale-declare-coupable_a134570/1&act=url

Last edited:
I wonder how many would have complained loudly enough to make it to the ears of a police officer, who in all likelihood, was not present at the time.

Very well put.

See I understand that you all are saying she shouldnt have done so/she cant do so/they should have told why she did so/this is bad PR/this will lead to calls for abdication etc etc etc..

I also agree that this is a bit "stunning" since we all have taken for granted that she is always there to act the same way she has done her entire life..
But if she is losing the physical stamina to stand/bend to collect flowers for a while, or the patience to do so, then we simply cant help.

Here are some suggestions some posters made to "help" the situation..

1.If she cant perform on account of age, she should delegate her duties to others
Oh..so they mean another discussion on abdication? Or they mean that Charles should stand by to collect flowers?
And FYI..Princess Anne received flowers on behalf of HM on Christmas. This was so clearly reported by the even utterly stupid DM..So whats the problem..

2.If she didnt receive due to any problems, they should let us know..
So the day after Christams, the BP will issue a statement saying "HM could not receive flowers from Master XYZ who came from 50-miles, as she has to use the loo urgently..or as she was feeling unwell..or as she got cranky..and we deeply regret this..

3. They should forewarn people not to bring flowers
They never asked anyone to bring flowers. And this is not about the Queen at all. It is the entire BRF. You can give to any lady you please.
This is simply not a big deal.

PS: Even I am disappointed by seeing her stop taking flowers.
But then, things change in life, at some stage, for some reason. We just cant condemn that.
We have to remember that not every change will have to be made with an Act of Parliament/Letters Patent/whatever. Some changes are sudden and some subtle. Just move on..

See I understand that you all are saying she shouldnt have done so/she cant do so/they should have told why she did so/this is bad PR/this will lead to calls for abdication etc etc etc..

I also agree that this is a bit "stunning" since we all have taken for granted that she is always there to act the same way she has done her entire life..
But if she is losing the physical stamina to stand/bend to collect flowers for a while, or the patience to do so, then we simply cant help.

1.If she cant perform on account of age, she should delegate her duties to others
Oh..so they mean another discussion on abdication? Or they mean that Charles should stand by to collect flowers?
And FYI..Princess Anne received flowers on behalf of HM on Christmas. This was so clearly reported by the even utterly stupid DM..So whats the problem..

2.If she didnt receive due to any problems, they should let us know..
So the day after Christams, the BP will issue a statement saying "HM could not receive flowers from Master XYZ who came from 50-miles, as she has to use the loo urgently..or as she was feeling unwell..or as she got cranky..and we deeply regret this..

3. They should forewarn people not to bring flowers
They never asked anyone to bring flowers. And this is not about the Queen at all. It is the entire BRF. You can give to any lady you please.
This is simply not a big deal.

PS: Even I am disappointed by seeing her stop taking flowers.
But then, things change in life, at some stage, for some reason. We just cant condemn that.
We have to remember that not every change will have to be made with an Act of Parliament/Letters Patent/whatever. Some changes are sudden and some subtle. Just move on..

Well put.

Personally I thought the best quote was

"....... and she was in public - so she should perform."

The Queen took all flowers on Christmas day. She didn't do it on Sunday, several days after Christmas.

The Queen took all flowers on Christmas day. She didn't do it on Sunday, several days after Christmas.

Ok Ok my mistake..It was on the Sunday after Christmas.. But even then Princess Anne took all the flowers. It was not at all bad..

Personally I thought the best quote was

"....... and she was in public - so she should perform."

Muriel, the quote is great. But as a statement it is very very vague and the interpretation is totally subjective..

Last edited:
Personally I think peoples are making too much of a big deal out of this. The Queen is 87. For all we know Her back or legs could be bothering her lately, You don't know and they are not going to release statement if that what it s and they shouldn't have too.

Accepting flowers from the public is not a formal duty of the sort which can be delegated, it is a personal moment in which there is contact between monarch and individual subject. As admirable as Princess Anne is in her own right, having Princess Anne available as a stand-in for HM for this purpose is just not the same. And I'm prepared to bet that Princess Anne did not take those flowers with her and give them to her mother.

But this issue has surely been resolved now. HM has set a precedent and repeated it for emphasis and I expect the number of flower-clutching youngsters will drop off.

^ At this moment in time, most of the crowd would be deleriously happy to have W and K collect the flowers. Not sure that it is in the BRF's best interest for the 'number if flower-clutching youngsters' to drop off.

Please note that all off topic posts regarding the Queen and hunting have been deleted as off topic.

Zonk

I just checked future engagements at royal.gov.

Nothing through next month for the Queen, as of yet. The Dike of Edinburgh's schedule resumes on Feb. 3.

No flower collection... 3rd week in a row. Hope some of the parents have gotten the message.

The Queen and Lady Helen Stewart drove to and from church whilst the Duke of Edinburgh walked with Lady Brabourne and daughter, Alexandra Knatchbull,and Sir Jackie Stewart.
Afterwards the Hon Mary Morrison (Lady in Waiting)collected flowers from children which she said she would "take for The Queen".
The British Royals Message Board: Today at Sandringham

The Queen leaving church at Sandringham, Norfolk

face to face

http://www.brunopress.nl/bin/Brunop...=162142373DBF4C2F999CCF0AC086C9&rnd=3496.5.37

The Queen is most admired person in Britain says poll

The results from a YouGov poll were revealed earlier today which asked members of the British public to vote for the person they most admired. In the top spot, with almost 20% of the overall vote, was Her Majesty The Queen.

http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/thequeen/the-queen-is-most-admired-person-in-britain-says-poll-22121

Last edited:
I think she is there as a guest and friend as is Sir Jackie and Lady Stewart

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 21h The Queen didn’t stop to accept flowers again this week for the 3rd week in a row - could it be age, or just getting back for dinner?

My money's on dinner. :devil2: Well, you expected me to say that, didn't you? :D

Having a lady in waiting sweep them up is just not the same thing, IMO. I can't imagine people saying to themselves, 'Oh, let's take some flowers along to give to the Queen's lady in waiting or whatever other random person HM delegates because she has stopped receiving them herself'. I'm surprised there were so many flowers to collect. Maybe it's the eternal optimist in people, or maybe those people haven't been reading the papers.

Or perhaps they just don't care who collects them and that they are simply content in showing their appreciation and affection for the Queen regardless.

No offense (which usually means someone will be) but I often get the idea that non Brits underestimate just how much the Queen is loved by the majority of the UK populace.

No offense (which usually means someone will be)

They are bound to, its what they do ! You're right, i agree that the non-Brits {Particularly the types from 'the colonies' } seem unable to 'get' the esteem in which the Queen is held here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom