Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 25: April 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he walked out of the hospital but that was 5 weeks ago and IMO the way the article was worded it sounded like he had a set back.

You are obviously putting your personal spin on the information. I don't agree and think that before assuming the worse, wait until he is due to actually go to Balmoral - if he doesn't then perhaps there may be an issue.

Queen lands with her faithful corgis for two-month break at Balmoral Castle | Mail Online
The Queen has arrived (in style) at Balmoral

With her husband still recuperating after his recent abdominal surgery, the Queen had to rely on the company of her faithful canine companions when she arrived in Scotland on holiday today.
Dressed in a pink raincoat and familiar flowered headscarf, the monarch flew up from London to Aberdeen in a private jet to begin her two-month Highland break at Balmoral Castle.
This year, however, she will spend the first few weeks of her holiday alone as her 92-year-old husband is still recuperating from recent abdominal surgery.

Further in the article (about the DoE)

After spending several weeks with his wife at Windsor Castle, the 92-year-old has now moved to Sandringham, the Queen’s private Norfolk estate, where he continues to recover.
Doctors have given him the all-clear to join the monarch but he will make his own way up in mid-August, palace sources have revealed.

‘The Duke of Edinburgh plans to join the Queen in Balmoral in August,’ they said.
Although the Queen’s 50,000 acre private estate is remote, medics are clearly confident that if the doughty duke does feel poorly, he can still be swiftly treated.
Indeed, last August Philip was admitted to the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary for treatment of his recurring bladder infection after falling ill at the royal residence.
Sources also confirmed that he still hoped to resume some ‘light duties’, including public engagements, later in the autumn.
Philip’s decision to move to Sandringham alone for the time being, however, will, inevitably, spark further fears for his health.

My continuing best wishes to His Royal Highness in his time of convalescence, for his steady and uneventful recuperation.

A cruise around the Western Isle would be the perfect tonic for Philip and The Queen as they both have always enjoyed being on the water and used to undertake that cruise on the Britannia most years during the Balmoral break.

They could even take Kate and George for his first cruise (William may join them if he isn't on duty) and that would allow the great-grandparents some time with the little fellow.

It is widely known that for sick and elderly people the presence of children and animals is very therapeutic in various ways

Queen's World War 3 speech: Found in the archives, the dress rehearsal for disaster | Mail Online

The words are full of warmth, hope and comfort. But fortunately for history, the Queen never had to say them.
Deep in the corridors of Whitehall at the height of the Cold War civil servants prepared a speech for the monarch to deliver at the outbreak of World War Three between a nuclear-armed Soviet Union and the West.
In a chilling depiction of a world on the brink of nuclear destruction, she denounces the ‘deadly power of abused technology’ - and refers to her ‘beloved son Andrew’ on the frontline. However, she rallies her country behind her, declaring in the planned broadcast: ‘Whatever terrors lie in wait for us all the qualities that have helped to keep our freedom intact twice already during this sad century will once more be our strength.’

Released this morning after 30 years.

I wonder if the Queen and her staff at the time had any input into the speech and she would have actually used it or if it was completely made up just for the purpose of the excercice and would never have actually been what the Queen would have said.

I wonder if the Queen and her staff at the time had any input into the speech and she would have actually used it or if it was completely made up just for the purpose of the excercice and would never have actually been what the Queen would have said.

It was written by Civil Servants and there's no mention The Queen had any input. It was obviously made up just in case anything occured due to the suddeness of a nuclear war a "rousing" speech might have been needed apparently. If a warning was issued, the speech would have had to have believed either immediately or when The Queen was out of London.

Sorry, my point was is this actually what the Queen would have said? Reading the full article I don't think it is.

Perhaps, since it would have been the end of EVERYTHING, the Queen may have departed from the script ?

Thank heaven it was never needed !

How the world is going today, we never know, speeches like that may have to be made. Too much is going in these days and I find it scary and sad.

Perhaps, since it would have been the end of EVERYTHING, the Queen may have departed from the script ?

Thank heaven it was never needed !

Prehaps she would have decided if we weren't all going to make it to tell some real truths... "And what I really think of Mrs Thatcher..." :lol::lol:

Last edited:
It was written by Civil Servants and there's no mention The Queen had any input. It was obviously made up just in case anything occured due to the suddeness of a nuclear war a "rousing" speech might have been needed apparently. If a warning was issued, the speech would have had to have believed either immediately or when The Queen was out of London.

IYou are right, press over-cooking it as usual. I read that it was put together for an exercise.

The other sillyness is the footman who has gone home because his visa ran out. Apparently he played a "vital" role in the announcement of the birth of Prince George (he put the stand up in the forecourt of BP). He wants to appeal to the Queen to come back. she needs to keep well away from that one.

I think the Buckingham Palace Footman is just expressing how proud he was to be able to play a role in Prince George's birth announcement. It's pretty sad that he had a good job and is now back home. I hope everything works out for him and that he will be able to get back to his job.

I think the Buckingham Palace Footman is just expressing how proud he was to be able to play a role in Prince George's birth announcement. It's pretty sad that he had a good job and is now back home. I hope everything works out for him and that he will be able to get back to his job.

If he really wants to make money for his family, he should be applying for work at international hotels. His BP background would stand him in good stead.

BP can't just hold his job open - no organisation could.

I don't think he's expecting the Palace to hold his job open but I think he would apply for a job there again, if he could. I agree, I think international hotels would hire him, especially with a Buckingham Palace job on his résumé.

IYou are right, press over-cooking it as usual. I read that it was put together for an exercise.

The other sillyness is the footman who has gone home because his visa ran out. Apparently he played a "vital" role in the announcement of the birth of Prince George (he put the stand up in the forecourt of BP). He wants to appeal to the Queen to come back. she needs to keep well away from that one.
..from that one... A young man who was born into extreme poverty, did well in school and educated by nuns, received a scholarship so he could study in Britain (maybe Scotland), applied for a job at Buckingham Palace and got it after a thorough back ground check (which all potential employees get) and as many other young people going to other countries to study, the visa expires and they have to return home to their countries and apply for a permanent visa. This young man will be successful and is not the one ...people should keep well away from.

..from that one... A young man who was born into extreme poverty, did well in school and educated by nuns, received a scholarship so he could study in Britain (maybe Scotland), applied for a job at Buckingham Palace and got it after a thorough back ground check (which all potential employees get) and as many other young people going to other countries to study, the visa expires and they have to return home to their countries and apply for a permanent visa. This young man will be successful and is not the one ...people should keep well away from.

It's not that the Queen should keep away from him specifically, it's more that she should keep from getting involved. It can strike a whole "the Queen is interfering in government matters in order to give someone who may not be deserving of a visa entry into the country, for the sake of this immigrant who is potentially taking a job - and a good one at that - away from an out of work British citizen."

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 22m
Prince Philip will be seen in public for the first time in two months on August 12th. #royal

On August 12th, Prince Philip will hand out medals at @royalsoced in Edinburgh.

Philip has been recup since June after an op on his abdomen. He was in hospital for eleven nights and had spent time in intensive care.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 23m
A Buckingham Palace spokesman says Prince Philip is in “good spirits” and is “making good progress”.

Buckingham Palace has never said why the operation on his abdomen was carried out.

On August 12th Prince Philip will travel from Sandringham to @royalsoced in Edinburgh.

Afterwards he’ll join the Queen for their summer holiday at Balmoral, her private estate in the Scottish highlands.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 1m
Prince Philip's only other engagement, which is in the public domain, is a visit to the Dersingham Bog Natural Nature Reserve on 30 Sept.

Excellent news!! Looking forward to seeing HRH in a couple of weeks. :D

Don't know if this is a recent picture but here's one of The Queen chatting to some people at Balmoral:
The Queen and her Duke

And looking effortlessly regal as ever :previous:

The Queen is always smiling, she is indeed The Queen of smiles.

Long live Elizabeth The Great

Video:
QUEEN INSPECTS THE BALLATER GUARD AT BALMORAL:
Home - ITNSource News

It's very nice that so many people are able to be that up close to watch Her Majesty inspect the guards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom