Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
UKQueenElizabethII.jpg

Welcome to part 25 of the current events of

The Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

commencing June 3 2012

Part 24 covering the period July 2011 to June 2, 2012 can be found here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...urgh-current-events-24-july-2011-a-31419.html .

Last edited:
Sydney Morning Herald 10 June 2012
Read more: Artist jubilant when the Queen donned robes and diamonds

Artist jubilant when the Queen donned robes and diamonds
"she was shimmering"

excerpts

When the Australian painter Ralph Heimans walked through the gates of Buckingham Palace, he was armed with just one guarantee: 60 minutes with the Queen to capture her diamond jubilee portrait. ''My concept, the context I wanted to place her in for this portrait, is unusual because it is outside the palace. We'd had a hint, an email with an informal OK 10 days before, so I had to race around and use that time to visit sites and find exactly the right setting."

The setting chosen for the portrait to celebrate the Queen's 60 years on the throne is top secret: all will be unveiled to the public in the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra in October. What is known is that his canvas measures 3.2 x 2.5 metres. He hinted that the portrait would explore the dynamic between the Queen's public role and "the very human and personal part". The setting was of special significance to her diamond jubilee, he said.

"We had also asked if the Queen could wear specific robes but we were told that due to her commitments and the time required, this might not be possible,'' he said. ''But when she arrived it was wonderful; she had gone to the effort, there were two pages carrying the robes and she was wearing Queen Victoria's diamonds. I was not expecting to be so stunned, she was shimmering … The theatre of the entry was unforgettable.

"We stood at one end of the corridor and it took her five minutes to walk down, the light was shining beautifully through the windows and every time she took a step the light shone off the diamonds … The anticipation as she came closer and closer, it was quite a dramatic entrance and nothing like it have I ever seen."

I am sure this is the wrong place to post this- feel free to move it to the correct spot- but I have a ?!
Has the Queen's birthday honors list been published yet? Where does one go to take a look?

Duke of Edinburgh to attend second River Thames pageant despite ending up in hospital after standing in the cold rain for several hours at the last water parade
The Duke of Edinburgh plans to be by the Queen's side at a second river Thames pageant later this month despite ending up in hospital after the last water-themed event to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee. Prince Philip fell ill with a bladder infection and was in hospital for five nights after standing in the cold rain for more than four hours during a parade of more than 1,000 boats along the River Thames in London. It was Prince Philip - himself a brave young wartime naval officer - who particularly wanted a water-borne tribute to his wife of 64 years.

roseroyal said:
I am sure this is the wrong place to post this- feel free to move it to the correct spot- but I have a ?!
Has the Queen's birthday honors list been published yet? Where does one go to take a look?

I don't think it's been published in full because it won't be released until her birthday this Saturday. A few names have been bounced around, Kate Winslet and Gary Barlow for one :)

You might have seen some reports on people receiving an honour in the Queen's Birthday list in Australia. The Queen's birthday was celebrated on Monday 11 June (it's always the 2nd Monday in June) in almost all of Australia with a national holiday and the release of the Australian version of the Queen's Birthday honours list.

One or two names have also leaked from the UK version which will be released on her official birthday in the UK which is the same day as Trooping the Colour is held (16th June this year); Gary Barlow and Kate Winslet are apparently among the recipients.

Last edited:
The Queen greeted by thousands of fans in Hertfordshire as she goes solo on day two of Diamond Jubilee tour
She might not have been flanked by Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge as she was yesterday, but the Queen attracted an equally impressive turnout as she travelled alone to the county of Hertfordshire today. Opting for a visible lilac coat and floral print dress for day two of the Diamond Jubilee tour the monarch was greeted by thousands of cheering fans as she arrived in the market town of Hitchin, where many had stood waiting since the early hours of the morning. Crowds stood six or seven deep waving Union Flags and cheering as she passed by shortly before midday, while hundreds of pupils from 24 schools in the area had been bussed in specially for the visit.

She looks lovely in lavender. Too bad the Duke wasnt with her, its so nice to see them together. She looks happy though.

What an amazing turnout in Hitchin today. HM must be so gratified with the tremendously warm welcome she receives everywhere she goes. Some might have thought that now the big national Jubilee events have been and gone the public would lose interest, but clearly not.

I'm counting down the moments until the inevitable article in the Guardian or Independent on how much the Royal Train costs per outing though, Bert. You know it'll come eventually.

It's always delightful to see the big crowds wherever Her Majesty visits. It's obvious that she's loved and respected by the nation, and as always, I love seeing her with children. She literally lights up when greeted by them.

The Duke is such a support! I went to look at the Zimbio photos of the Trooping of the Colors and there are several lovely photos of Her Majesty and the DOE chatting. (See below)

Can anyone tell me if it is usual for Prince Andrew to not be in military dress for this occasion? The wide balcony shots show him off to Her Majesty's right in Morning Coat (I think that's what it is called).

Queen Elizabeth II Photos - Trooping The Colour - Zimbio

Can anyone tell me if it is usual for Prince Andrew to not be in military dress for this occasion? The wide balcony shots show him off to Her Majesty's right in Morning Coat (I think that's what it is called).

It is usual, I don't think he's ever worn military dress to this event. He wears a morning coat (you were right :)) and he rides in the carriage with his daughters. :flowers:

Andrew doesn't wear military uniform for this occasion because he doesn't hold any relevant army rank. He only has rank in the navy and so doesn't participate in an army event.

If they had had a Spithead review - as has happened at other major royal events but can't know due to the shrinking size of the RN - he would have been in naval uniform as he was when he attended the church service last week to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War.

Charles, William, Ann, Edward and The Duke of Kent ride because they hold the ranks they do in the army - colonels and above (both Charles and the Duke of Kent hold the rank of Field Marshal - as does Philip of course).

Last edited:
Prince Phillip is attending as well.... pic 35 in the Zimbio Gallery

Is that a burst blood vessel in the Queen's eye? Did anyone notice if she had it yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom