Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was watching the Today show and something was shown about the Queen and an official of Greece? Something about he kissed her on the cheek? I only caught the tail end of the story, anyone know what happened?

Didn't see it but possibly they were talking about King Constantine since he was at the palace last night. I wouldn't recognize any other Greek IOC member.

Last edited:
Well apparently the Queen wasnt too happy with it because she kind of pushed him away. I thought it would be o.k. for him to kiss her since he is related I thought.

So I was watching the Today show and something was shown about the Queen and an official of Greece? Something about he kissed her on the cheek? I only caught the tail end of the story, anyone know what happened?
It was The Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Our local tv station talked about a fax paus, and I sent off a message correcting them about royal protocol. :lol:

Hmm. Thats interesting. I suppose the reporters could be wrong but I thougjt they said King of Greece. From what I understand he is visiting the Queen. And Im glad you corrected the protocol issue. Hahaha. So what did your news say?

It was The Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Our local tv station talked about a fax paus, and I sent off a message correcting them about royal protocol. :lol:

There's just somethi8ng so grandmotherly and huggable about HM. I can understand why someone would want to smooch her on the cheek. Its definitely a very big no no though.

If it were the Grand Duke, I'm sure he knows protocol. Maybe they are just close enough to warrant that show of affection. :)

Kind of like Queen Elizabeth and Queen Beatrix: remember how the latter practically ran towards Queen Elizabeth during the Jubilee lunch, before hugging and kissing her on both cheeks? They have known each other for most of their lives, so no wonder there will be display of familiarity here and there.
Plus, Osipi is right, there is something very huggable about Queen Elizabeth; she looks like a sweet and beloved grandmother.

Last edited:
There's just somethi8ng so grandmotherly and huggable about HM. I can understand why someone would want to smooch her on the cheek. Its definitely a very big no no though.
Actually a kiss on the cheek was not a no-no in this instance. It's quite common for the royals to greet each other that way, sovereign-to-sovereign; just go back and look at the video of all the Sovereigns greeting The Queen in the receiving line for the Jubilee lunch at Windsor. Queen Beatrix came forward, big smile, arms open and both Queens gave each other kisses on the cheek, and many of the others, particularly the Europeans, did the same (minus the arms open wide - that was uniquely Beatrix! :lol:)

Its not like he pulled a Jimmy Carter and kissed her on the lips like Jimmy did with The Queen Mother (that did not go down well).

OMG!! He did? For the love of god! So what was the reaction? I would have loved to have seen that one.

OMG!! He did? For the love of god! So what was the reaction? I would have loved to have seen that one.

If I recall correctly it did not go down well with the QM. Obviously she would have been taken by surprise. Jimmy was apparently the first man to kiss her on the lips since her husbands death.

Oh for goodness sakes, wasnt he aware that there was a protocol that had to be followed? He couldnt have been that ignorant, could he? Never mind, I answered my own question. Really though, I would have thought he would have been filled in on those things. I wonder if there is a video of it.

Its not like he pulled a Jimmy Carter and kissed her on the lips like Jimmy did with The Queen Mother (that did not go down well).

I bet it didn't. Wonder if the man was briefed on correct protocol and chose to completely disregard what he was told. Wow.

I bet it didn't. I can't believe he did that.

Oh for goodness sakes, wasnt he aware that there was a protocol that had to be followed? He couldnt have been that ignorant, could he? Never mind, I answered my own question. Really though, I would have thought he would have been filled in on those things. I wonder if there is a video of it.

I believe it was his first trip abroad (ever); perhaps he was a bit overwhelmed. :lol: He told the Queen Mother that she reminded him of his dear mother, and then gave her a big kiss, from the accounts I've read. The Queen Mother was most definitely not amused. I don't know if there's video.

In general, it's always interesting to see how the royal involved responds. I imagine that being in the presence of the monarch can create a lot of different responses, and I think sometimes the affection comes through perhaps a bit more than would expected!

I bet it didn't. Wonder if the man was briefed on correct protocol and chose to completely disregard what he was told. Wow.

Surely it doesn't take briefings on protocol to know that you don't kiss anyone, except your wife, on the lips, ever? Carter was from Georgia wasn't he? Is kissing strangers on the lips a typical greeting there?

The Queen and Prince Philip were greeted by quite a patriotic crowd. ;)
Her Majesty looks really wonderful in that peach-coloured coat and floral dress.

Surely it doesn't take briefings on protocol to know that you don't kiss anyone, except your wife, on the lips, ever? Carter was from Georgia wasn't he? Is kissing strangers on the lips a typical greeting there?

I have not the slightest clue about greetings in Georgia, but I do know that people in the South of the US are known to be friendly. I agree, there shouldn't have to be a briefing about such intimacy when it comes to strangers, and I don't really know what in the heck the man was thinking.

The Queen and Prince Philip were greeted by quite a patriotic crowd. ;)
Her Majesty looks really wonderful in that peach-coloured coat and floral dress.

What a delightful show of support and patriotism :britflag:. Agree completely about Her Majesty looking absolutely delightful her peach-colored coat.

Most of my family is from Georgia and, no, kissing strangers on the lips is most definitely not a typical greeting there. Even kissing friends/family members on the lips would be strange. In my experience, that sort of behavior is reserved for spouses/significant others only. I don't know what came over him!

From personal experience I know that people in the South of the US are very warm and welcoming. Glad to know they don't go around kissing random strangers on the lips though!

Today was the last day of HM and the DoE's jubilee tour of the UK. A wonderful effort from them both, and a great success given the size and excitement of the crowds all along the way.

No, this doesn't excuse it, but being from way further south than Georgia, I understand. She reminded him of his mother, he did it. I think the reaction was expected and deserved, I think it is funny. I am 46 years old my dad is 79 and my mom is 75, and have kissed both of my parents every time I see them since I moved out to college. Just do. Not uncommon.

Rumours surfaced this morning that Prince Philip had passed away, despite being alive and well in the Isle of Wight for Cowes Week.

Most of the portraits are quite nice, but I loath this one: the Queen looks like a man in a wig.
Similarly, this picture is rather unfortunate as well; there is something really wrong about the smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom