Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see Philip has his seatbelt on, but not the Queen. Not a good idea at any age, let alone when the driver is a 91-year-old in ill health and the passenger is 86.:ohmy:

I agree with you Baroness. I understand that Her Majesty may trust her husband and feels that he won't get her into an accident, but sometimes things happen that are beyond hunan control. If His Highness's reflexes are not fast enough, things could get very ugly. For safety reasons, Her Majesty should have buckled up.

Well I for one think her Majesty should intervene considering she is an animal lover, at least I would think she is. And being that she is supposed to be fair and just she would be an impartial judge and would see that Lennox deserves to live. I think someone should do more. What about the PETA organization?

I agree here as well. Her Majesty would be a great advocate for something like this, since she loves animals, especially dogs. This is such a sad story, and I hope it can be resolved with positive outcome.

LadyGabrielle said:
Well I for one think her Majesty should intervene considering she is an animal lover, at least I would think she is. And being that she is supposed to be fair and just she would be an impartial judge and would see that Lennox deserves to live. I think someone should do more. What about the PETA organization?

I'm sure PETA have been informed. Cesar Milan and the lady from the TV show It's Me or the Dog have also offered to take Lennox but still no response from BCC. Northern Irelands first minister Peter Robinson has even said he is disappointed by the ruling that Lennox should be destroyed.

http://www.examiner.com/article/one-last-push-of-urgent-e-mails-needed-for-a-lennox-miracle

Im praying that the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen will use their influence.

Don't make ignorant comments. He is not illegal, hence the outrage. And it isn't just about the dog. It's about 200,000 of her people crying out for help.

HM is very well known for her love and understanding of animals especially dogs and horses and I think she would be one of the first to realize that just because an animal is a certain breed, it wouldn't necessarily mean that the animal is dangerous and a threat to society.

While it is true that perhaps greeting President Hollande is very important to HM's role as Queen and Head of State, it doesn't mean that she would have little time to think about an outrage that is upsetting what seems a large portion of the population of her people.

I( wonder how those same 200,000 people will react if he is saved and the turns up next week having attacked a small child? Will they be outraged that HM intervened and saved the dog? Rather an awkward position to put HM in.

NGalitzine said:
I( wonder how those same 200,000 people will react if he is saved and the turns up next week having attacked a small child? Will they be outraged that HM intervened and saved the dog? Rather an awkward position to put HM in.

I understand your point. However Lennox has never harmed anyone before. His family's solicitors had dog behaviourists assess him and found him to be a placid, gentle animal. However a police handler for the council said the opposite. However the council had to admit in court that Lennox hadn't harmed anyone in his two years captivity. I find it hard to believe that he would start now.

Unfortunately his family have released a statement saying that they have been denied a visit to Lennox to be with him when he dies. They are also no longer allowed to collect his body to take home. Both these developments go against the word of the council at the end of the trial. The family have now been informed that they will be sent some ashes in the post.

Given as the dog is being prosecuted only because of what he is and what he looks like, there's no reason to suspect that this dog would be prone to attack a child. I suppose that condemning HM for giving Lennox clemency would be like pardoning someone in prison that had been wrongly accused of murder because he fit the description and then 2 years after his release he goes berserk and slashes someone to death.

Whether animal or human, the death penalty should be for a crime committed. Not because of the fact that they might.

Oh for goodness sake. That is just plain silly. The dog is not an obvious threat since it has not attacked, bitten or mauled anyone. I dont think Lennox would suddenly be possessed to attack. People make such a big deal out of a certain breed or type of dog without taking into consideration that any breed can be dangerous if not treated correctly or if it is taught to be vicious. Certain breeds are truly misunderstood and I find it ignorant.

The Queen should not be one of those three people who can help. It's utterly ridiculous and puts her in an awful position.

And why is that? Because it is an animal and not a politician? I think the people would appreciate the Queens input in that it would have nothing to do with politics and she was willing to come out of the box.

Reminds me of a story I recently read. Two dogs in the story. One was Fifi... a hundred pound Doberman Pinscer that was a true marshmallow and afraid of her own shadow and Brutus.. a teacup chihuahua that was a trained attack dog and loved attaching to ankles.

I understood that the article stated that HM is one of only 3 people that were in any position to do anything. Whether or not she does is totally up to her discretion and whatever happens, I trust she'll act as she finds appropriate to this situation. She's very astute and wise in what she should or shouldn't do when it comes to tricky situations.

Last edited:
:previous: And she's probably the only one who would speak to him in his own language! Nice pix

That's the first I've ever heard the Queen speak French; thanks for the clip, MagMil.

Not only does HM look at ease and happy to be welcoming President Hollande to her home at Windsor Castle, but she also seems to be dressed to suit the room they're in. :)

Once again, proof that our Queen is a wonderful Ambassador for the United Kingdom.

Her Majesty's French is excellent. She has the accent down pat.

Don't make ignorant comments. He is not illegal, hence the outrage. And it isn't just about the dog. It's about 200,000 of her people crying out for help.

I'm not making ignorant comments. The Queen really does have more important things to do. If the Queen started intervening personally in every minor problem up and down the country she'd never do anything else.

Unfortunately, the law in the UK does 'discriminate' against certain breeds of dog. There are some breeds who are considered too dangerous to own, no matter how well they're looked after. We've all heard stories about pitbulls, Staffies etc. etc. who have hitherto been wonderful pets suddenly attacking and sometimes killing small children.

There are much bigger problems in this country than the future of a dog. The government are intent on making enormous constitutional changes with reform of the House of Lords. Have I seen anyone protesting about that? No; even though the changes will have huge repercussions for us all.

I'm not making ignorant comments. The Queen really does have more important things to do. If the Queen started intervening personally in every minor problem up and down the country she'd never do anything else.

Unfortunately, the law in the UK does 'discriminate' against certain breeds of dog. There are some breeds who are considered too dangerous to own, no matter how well they're looked after. We've all heard stories about pitbulls, Staffies etc. etc. who have hitherto been wonderful pets suddenly attacking and sometimes killing small children.

There are much bigger problems in this country than the future of a dog. The government are intent on making enormous constitutional changes with reform of the House of Lords. Have I seen anyone protesting about that? No; even though the changes will have huge repercussions for us all.

well said, we need to get our priorites right

Not only does HM look at ease and happy to be welcoming President Hollande to her home at Windsor Castle, but she also seems to be dressed to suit the room they're in. :)

any chance there is a state dinner with this trip?

I've read about this on bbc.co.uk (and heard a bit of the debate via 'Democracy Live'), and I'd love to have a thread dedicated to this topic (because I'd like to understand this better and usually politics go over my head), but, from what I understand, the forum administrators frown upon any discussions that could get political, so I have a feeling that there won't be any such threads.

I doubt it Daria. And I do believe that is the first time I have heard the Queen speak French. Well done, she speaks effortlessly. Well will there be a state dinner then?

She speaks French regularly when in Canada. Former PM Jean Chretain, who was often not so comfortable in English, once commented how in discussions with him she switched the conversation to French to put him at ease.

Are you the Last of the Mohicans? Philip appears delighted as he meets community worker with extreme haircut
It might have received a prickly reception from some gentlemen of his generation – but the Duke of Edinburgh appeared delighted to meet a man with a bright red Mohican yesterday. Ian Betterton was invited to a lunch with the Queen and her husband because of his contribution to community work and chatted with the 91-year-old Duke about his eye-catching style. Mr Betterton, 42, said: ‘He asked me if I support local hairdressers.‘I told him I do it myself and that’s why it’s a bit wonky.’

Great article, Artemisia! Prince Philip's sense of humor is always refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom