Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for the article :flowers:. It's great to see Her Majesty and Prince Philip enjoying some Jubilee celebrations together, and what a treat for the Bennetts to be able to chat to Her Majesty and exchange well-wishes. I like how he described be as 'warm-hearted'. It must be lovely to know that one is loved by one's subjects :).

The Queen has arrived in Ireland after being delayed by bad weather, she's wearing pale blue and has had a warm reception. I do hope our own EIIR gets a look at The Queen.

I love HM's outfit, it's just stunning and it's good to see the DOE looking so much better.

The DoE is looking better indeed, how nice to see. The Queen looks amazing in that outfit.

I was just watching the visit on the Irish news,some of the crowds were there all night,I hope the weather was kind to them.

The Queen has arrived in Ireland after being delayed by bad weather, she's wearing pale blue and has had a warm reception. I do hope our own EIIR gets a look at The Queen.

So kind of you to think of me today Lumutqueen, but unfortunately work commitments had to take precedence today. I was simply unable to get anywhere near Enniskillen, or Hillsborough for that matter. I tried to get tickets for the big Jubilee party being held at Stormont tomorrow, but 10,000 tickets were given away on Ticketmaster in just 6 minutes. My mother and I are putting plans in place definitively to go to the Trooping next year when, God willing, we'll see not only HM but the whole family.

Today's events seemed a wonderful success, even though the Queen was an hour late due to the uncooperative Northern Irish weather. Big crowds waiting since 4am in the wet and cold. I hope tomorrow's weather is better for the big party.

Another step to pace: Queen greeted by thousands as she arrives in Northern Ireland to meet survivors of one of the IRA's worst massacres
The Queen was today greeted by thousands of well-wishers in the Northern Irish town that witnessed one of the IRAs worst atrocities ahead of a historic meeting with Martin McGuinness. The monarch, who is celebrating her Diamond Jubilee, touched down in Enniskillen this morning before she is expected to travel on to Belfast to shake the hand of the former IRA commander tomorrow in a momentous and controversial step in the Northern Ireland peace process. Her historic visit follows her groundbreaking visit to the Republic of Ireland last year where she made a series of gestures which were seen as a dramatic advance in Anglo-Irish relations – including speaking in Irish at a banquet in her honour.

There seemed to be a fairly large crowd out to see HM and HRH today, which is always nice. Is Enniskillen a particularly Unionist area (I hope that is the correct term) or would there be crowds this size everywhere in Northern Ireland?

There seemed to be a fairly large crowd out to see HM and HRH today, which is always nice. Is Enniskillen a particularly Unionist area (I hope that is the correct term) or would there be crowds this size everywhere in Northern Ireland?

I'm not a Fermanagh woman myself, but I believe that Enniskillen and the county generally are pretty finely balanced in terms of Catholic/Protestant populations. There was quite a mixed crowd there yesterday, probably mostly Protestant but not exclusively so.

It's a fluid situation in NI, where the vast majority of Protestants are Unionists, but generally about 20% of Catholics would, if pushed, prefer NI to remain within the Union also. They probably wouldn't identify as Unionist, but would vote in a referendum to maintain the Union.

Crowds would certainly be this big anywhere in NI. This is the first time the Queen's visit to NI has been pre-announced in advance. Previously we didn't know the Queen was coming until the day itself, for security reasons, which made it impossible for most people to see her. That's why the crowds were so big this time.

Last edited:

That's how Royals pay for their privilege. It has been that way for centuries: if a traitor was influencial enough, he was taken back onto the Royal bosom even after having committed heineous crimes in medieval wars. Charles II even had to cope with people who did nothing to save his father from getting beheaded. Or Marie Louise of Austria - she was raised at a court under siege by Napoleon and grew up believing Napoleon was a monster. And then she learned she had to marry this monster and bear him children. One should call this view on Royal duties pragmatic...

I have a query, who's the longest serving monarch in Europe? Not just currently as it was be Elizabeth. I think the answer to my question is Louis (insert numerals) or Victoria?

I have a query, who's the longest serving monarch in Europe? Not just currently as it was be Elizabeth. I think the answer to my question is Louis (insert numerals) or Victoria?
- The longest-reigning Sovereign ruler in European history was Bernard VII, Lord of Lippe (ruler of the Lordship of Lippe); he reigned for 81 years and 234 days.

- The longest-reigning Monarch in European history was Louis XIV of France; he reigned for 72 years and 110 day.

- The longest-reigning Sovereign Prince in European history is Johann II, Prince of Liechtenstein; he reigned for 70 years and 91 days.

- The longest-reigning Emperor in European history is Frederic III, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire; he reigned for 69 years and 70 days.
He is followed by Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, who reigned for 67 years and 355 days.

- Queen Victoria, with her 63 years and 216 days, is the longest-reigning female Monarch in history (as well as the longest-reigning British one).
Queen Elizabeth II will surpass that record on 10 September 2015. If the Queen is still reigning by 26 May 2024, she will surpass Louis XIV as the longest-reigning Monarch in European history.

Last edited:
The bravest thing she's ever done: Queen shakes hands with Martin McGuinness - the man who headed terror army that murdered her beloved cousin - and even manages a smile
The Queen performed an astonishing act of forgiveness today in the name of peace when she shook hands with Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness - twice. Belfast was the scene for an extraordinary encounter between the British monarch and the former IRA commander - now Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister - which would have been unthinkable as little as ten years ago. Her Majesty somehow even found it within her to smile as she met the man who once headed the terror network responsible for killing Lord Mountbatten - the treasured cousin she knew as 'Uncle Dickie'. He was murdered by the IRA in 1979 along with his young grandson in a bomb blast during a boating trip off Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo. It was an atrocity that sent shockwaves through the Royal Family. Yet today, in a Jubilee year full of surprises, the Queen spent five minutes with Mr McGuinness behind closed doors in a room within the city's Lyric Theatre, and then the pair shook hands again publicly outside in full view of the world's cameras.
Very brave of Her Majesty and Prince Philip; however, I wish they weren't put into position when it was necessary.

Well the monarch is supposed to be the symbol of the unity of the nation so to meet a man who has been democratically elected by her people and who is the Deputy First Minister of part of her realm is the proper thing for her to do.
I am sure in her 60 years on the throne she has met, shaken hands with, hosted and danced with many individuals that she might, had she been a private citizen, chosen to avoid but that is not possible for a constitutional monarch.

Although it must have been difficult for her, HM certainly knows how to step up to the plate in her usual regal and inimitable style. Whatever feelings she and Prince Philip have about this meeting and gesture would be kept firmly suppressed in public. She just goes about her duty and does what needs to be done.

Last edited:
Artemisia said:
- The longest-reigning Sovereign ruler in European history was Bernard VII, Lord of Lippe (ruler of the Lordship of Lippe); he reigned for 81 years and 234 days.

- The longest-reigning Monarch in European history was Louis XIV of France; he reigned for 72 years and 110 day.

- The longest-reigning Sovereign Prince in European history is Johann II, Prince of Liechtenstein; he reigned for 70 years and 91 days.

- The longest-reigning Emperor in European history is Frederic III, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire; he reigned for 69 years and 70 days.
He is followed by Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, who reigned for 67 years and 355 days.

- Queen Victoria, with her 63 years and 216 days, is the longest-reigning female Monarch in history (as well as the longest-reigning British one).
Queen Elizabeth II will surpass that record on 10 September 2015. If the Queen is still reigning by 26 May 2024, she will surpass Louis XIV as the longest-reigning Monarch in European history.

Thank you for this fantastic list! :) I'm reading a new book on the monarchy and the author lists Queen Elizabeth as the longest serving monarch, which is now severely incorrect.

Well I have to give her credit. She set aside any negative feelings and just did it. I think she is an incredible woman and does what she needs to do even if she doesnt want to. I know that for me it would be a huge difficulty to not just slap the guy and spit in his face. I do not envy her position. She shook the mans hand with grace and dignity, what a woman. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom