Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Princess Elizabeth, she wasn't a full-time royal until about a year before her father died, even though he was in very poor health for several years beforehand. George VI didn't interrupt his daughter's happy family time with her husband and children in Malta when his health was obviously declining.

She went to Malta - yes - but it wasn't to play 'happy families' with the children as they were left in London with the King and Queen.

I have searched the BBC site and nothing specific is mentioned so I am assuming it will be on satellite during the day and shown on a news broadcast. Dont know about Sky.

Tomorrow is Commonwealth Day and according to the Telegraph, the ceremony at MArlborough House will be televised.

Link to Telegraph

'The Queen’s leadership is special’ - Telegraph

Does any Commonwealth country outside of the UK even acknowledge this day? As far as I am aware it is a meaningless day - certainly nothing happening here in Australia as far as I am aware - I suppose the politicians might do something but as far as the ordinary people go - totally meaningless. It doesn't even rate a mention in my diary which has today as Labour Day public holiday in Victoria, Adelaide Cup Day in SA and Eight Hour Day in Tasmania. In NSW it is an ordinary working day as we have our Labour Day in October and don't have a holiday for a horse race - probably because the Sydney Cup is over Easter.

Its getting news here because there is a Church Service at Westminister Abbey and the signing of the Commonwealth Charter, but this is unusual coverage.

Also it is HMQ's first working day after being unwell.

Last edited:
So The Queen is still ill.

I think anyone who has gone through a severe bout of flu or ailment finds out that even after the worse has passed, it leaves one's body exhausted and depleted. I'm glad that she's taking it a bit easy as far as getting back into her normal swing of things.

True, I wish she has a full recovery. I hope to catch some coverage of the signing this afternoon.

I would add that here in London today it is absolutely ARCTIC with the windchill making it feel like -7 ! Sitting in a freezing church on a day like today wouldn't be sensible for an octogenerian recovering from a bout of illness.

However, ever dutiful HMQ is signing this important document.

Commonwealth Day is one of those Days that has been changed around a bit, and we've forgotten, or never knew, where it ended up.

When I was a primary school child in the late 1950s/early 1960s, we celebrated Empire Day on the 24th May - Queen Victoria's birthday. We were all still British Subjects and the occasion was given news coverage and it was a significant occasion. We had a half day off school and fireworks at home. We could still buy all the good stuff like Roman Candles and Sky Rockets. I have very clear and fond memories of those Sky Rockets! They were wondrous things.

The name Empire Day was officially changed to Commonwealth Day in 1966 and in the next year or so the date was moved to the current Queen's official birthday, so our cracker night was moved to the Queen's Birthday long weekend in June. We could still buy fireworks to let off at home in those days and it was still a big deal, even though over the years the range of fireworks available to purchase to set off at home was reduced. The more dangerous ones - meaning the most interesting ones, like Sky Rockets - that could be used as weapons or blow up mail boxes (and animals) were outlawed.

In 1976 the date of Commonwealth Day was moved to March but I doubt many Australians knew that. The Queen's Birthday long weekend, with its organised fireworks displays over Sydney Harbour and other places throughout the City, continued, and the March date was just of no interest to most people. I didn't even know about it until I read this thread tonight.

We have not been able to buy fireworks for home use since the 1980s, but we can still buy sparklers, and every year I light a few on the 24th May, for auld lang syne.
:fireworks:

Last edited:
I think anyone who has gone through a severe bout of flu or ailment finds out that even after the worse has passed, it leaves one's body exhausted and depleted. I'm glad that she's taking it a bit easy as far as getting back into her normal swing of things.

And as I have found out recently, the older one is the longer it takes to recover. My mind keeps saying I can do this but the body just laughs.

There is a very nasty strain of norovirus making the rounds in the UK and North American right now called the Sydney strain (because the first cases were reported in Sydney, Australia). Take the worst stomach bug you've had and times it by 100 and that's what it's like. I had the misfortune of contracting it and let me tell you it was the worst bout of sickness I've had in ages! I won't go into details, but I was violently sick for two days straight followed by two weeks of overwhelming fatigue, chills, and feeling like I had swallowed a bucket of rocks.

I'm in my early 30s and this drained me totally. Even though she doesn't act like it, Her Majesty is 86 and it does take the elderly longer periods of time to get over illness like this. The Queen is a tough lady and she'll be back on duty soon!

I am worried for the Queen though, it's a reminder that we are in the 'sunset years' of her reign. I've never known any other monarch and I know when that day comes, I'm going to be very sad.

Commonwealth Day service

How lovely to see the Duke of Edinburgh attend the Commonwealth Day service!
I'm sure Her Majesty, despite still suffering the effects of her recent illness, would have been delighted that he was able to go and represent her as Head of the Commonwealth.

I saw the Live coverage of The Queen's speech and signing of the Charter. She looked beautiful.

Back to her best: Queen meets Commonwealth leaders to sign historic charter after cancelling prior engagements as she recovered from illness:
Back to her best: Queen meets Commonwealth leaders to sign historic charter after cancelling prior engagements as she recovered from illness | Mail Online

BBC News Video:
The Queen speaks at event to mark Commonwealth Day:
BBC News - The Queen speaks at event to mark Commonwealth Day

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
The Queen looked pale and drawn tonight on her first public appearance since leaving hospital a week ago.

Buckingham Palace press office insists there is nothing seriously wrong with the Queen but has no details of what exactly is wrong with her.

JB‏@Royal_beans
The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of York, will visit Mother London Limited, Biscuit Building, on March 13.

Last edited:
Cosy and comfy, one's sitting room: Cluttered with treasures and just a little bit messy, the Queen's private retreat
It has the everyday cosiness of a granny’s front room. There are china ornaments on the mantelpiece, a cluster of cherished family photos and a flowery, frilly chair pulled up by the fireplace. This particular granny, it seems, likes keeping up with current affairs, as a collection of newspapers and journals is arranged neatly on a table. There are also pots of fresh flowers, lacy doilies, treasured mementoes and a couple of dog baskets on the floor. This is the Queen’s private sitting room at Balmoral. But despite the relaxed trappings, Her Majesty’s Scottish residence is no place to put your feet up. Just ask David Cameron.
Yesterday in an article for the Radio Times, Mr Waldman recalled how among the collection of treasures in the Queen’s private sitting room at Balmoral was a cushion embroidered with the words: ‘It’s good to be Queen.’ :D
The Queen and the Commonwealth leadership last night delivered an unprecedented vote of confidence in the Prince of Wales as the next Head of the Commonwealth. The future of this honorary but hugely influential position – incorporating 54 nations and almost a third of the world’s population – has never before been openly discussed. Nor is it laid down in the organisation’s statutes. But at last night’s celebrations for Commonwealth Day, as the Queen made her first public appearance since her hospital stay for gastro-enteritis last week, the message was unambiguous: the Commonwealth sees its future in partnership with the Monarchy.

I see The Queen reads Majesty Magazine and Hello!. She must read everything that's said about members of her family. Can't wait to see this doc.

It's a fascinating insight into the Queen's private life seeing her sitting room at Balmoral. I noticed not only photos of the Queen Mother on the piano, but a photo of Queen Margrethe too (she has the same photo near her desk at Buckingham palace)!

I would add that here in London today it is absolutely ARCTIC with the windchill making it feel like -7 ! Sitting in a freezing church on a day like today wouldn't be sensible for an octogenerian recovering from a bout of illness.

So true!!For an octogenarian haunted by a bug it's an easy choice to rather be near a loo instead of a minister.

She'll get over it,Old Queen Bess is as strong as an ox.:)

Who will lead Commonwealth next?
BBC News - Who will lead Commonwealth next?

The Queen has pulled out of public engagements tomorrow and Thursday, though she has had a full day of meetings at Buckingham Palace today.

Buckingham Palace says the Queen will hold a Privy Council meeting tomorrow. It's business as usual inside the palace but not out in public.

Victoria Murphy‏@QueenVicMirror
The Queen has cancelled her engagement tomorrow but palace says she "continues to make a good recovery"

Prince Andrew will stand in for the Queen at a visit to Tech City tomorrow. Prince Philip will go to the Guards Chapel alone on Thurs

Buckingham Palace says: "The Queen hopes to resume her programme of official engagements next week."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom