Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Bank of England holds whooping 4600 tonnes of gold reserves - which is the fifteenth largest depository in the world.
For Knox holds 4578 tons of gold bullion - about 3% of all the gold ever refined in human history.
Both are dwarfed by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York's gold reserves which hold 7000 tonnes of gold bullion.

Me, I'm modest: I'd do with just one ton.
Wow!:ohmy:
I cannot even imagine what those numbers would look like- would be fun to see!
7000 tons of gold! Wow!:ohmy:
I am modest too- 1 ton- I'd be thrilled.;)

Well, the Bank of England holds whooping 4600 tonnes of gold reserves - which is the fifteenth largest depository in the world.
For Knox holds 4578 tons of gold bullion - about 3% of all the gold ever refined in human history.
Both are dwarfed by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York's gold reserves which hold 7000 tonnes of gold bullion.

Me, I'm modest: I'd do with just one tonne.

Wow :whistling:! Didn't know this.

The Queen will visit No10 tomorrow to receive a Diamond Jubilee gift and observe a cabinet meeting. The first monarch to do so since Queen Victoria.

today is the christmas party in bukingham?

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that there is a Christmas party today.

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that there is a Christmas party today.

I believe that's the staff Christmas Party, someone mentioned on twitter last night that Catherine was supposed to attend but 'would decide how she felt in the morning'. I assume this is different to the annual pre-christmas party where the family attend.

that's right - its the staff party, so I wasn't expecting pix. Isn't the family event a lunch anyway?

Yeah, I think there's a party at Buckingham Palace tonight and for staff, if the article was correct.

Rather interesting for constitutional nerds such as myself to see that the Queen will become the first monarch since Victoria to attend a Cabinet meeting.

Looking forward to seeing what the Cabinet ministers bought HM as a Diamond Jubilee gift. Probably a bit of crockery of some sort, as if the Queen doesn't have enough china.

Rather interesting for constitutional nerds such as myself to see that the Queen will become the first monarch since Victoria to attend a Cabinet meeting.

Looking forward to seeing what the Cabinet ministers bought HM as a Diamond Jubilee gift. Probably a bit of crockery of some sort, as if the Queen doesn't have enough china.

Wouldn't it be special if they gave her a "Cabinet" to keep all her crockery and china in? Something that would remain a permanent fixture at BP? :D

Will there be any coverage of the Cabinet meeting?

:previous:

Perhaps not live coverage (although not impossible) but there will be articles and official photographs.

Last edited:
Meeting's over, The Queen left 10 - 15 minutes ago. I'm just watching the coverage on the BBC News website. Her gift was a book commemorating all of her state visits from her 60 years on the throne.

The Queen was briefed on the bill that will affect the succesion line. The Queen went from Downing Street, to the foreign office to meet foreign official. Apparently cabinet ministers also had a whip round to give The Queen a gift which she didn't have when she left from No10 and we so far don't know what it was.

The Queen wears Tory blue for historic visit to sit in on a Cabinet meeting (but she could only face half an hour before escaping)
The Queen will today arrived to take a seat at the Cabinet table in Downing Street, the first monarch to attend the meeting of senior ministers for more than 230 years. David Cameron welcomed the monarch on the steps of Downing Street before presenting her with a gift bought after a Cabinet whip-round to mark her Diamond Jubilee. The Prime Minister revealed the last time a Cabinet had been attended by the head of state was George III in 1781.

The gift was apparently 16 place mats. I'm such HM is thrilled.

I just have to ask: why? Why the mats and why 16 place? And why do politicians everywhere lack any imagination?

Last edited:
I just have to ask: why? Why the mats and why 16 place? And why do politicians everywhere lack any imagination?

Granted they are rather lovely placemats but I was thinking...ok where's the real gift :lol:

Update: William Hague has announced that a southern part of Antartica will be renamed Queen Elizabeth Land to mark her Jubilee Year.
https://twitter.com/WilliamJHague/status/281005562655825920/photo/1
Bit of a better present.
Now that is a proper honour.

Granted they are rather lovely placemats but I was thinking...ok where's the real gift :lol:
Looks like we got our wish. I mean, getting part of an entire continent named after you isn't too shabby, is it? ;)

Last edited:
The placemats were a Palace suggestion and contain pictures of BP and Windsor Castle from the castle library at Windsor.

When visiting the Bank of England last week The Queen mentioned to the Chancellor that "regrettably" not all the gold bars belonged to the UK. The Chancellor responded with "no some of them were sold". LOL!

Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal #QueenCab HM urged Ministers to make next Queen's speech "on the shorter rather than the longer side"

Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal #QueenCab HM also wishes the Cabinet a "Happy Christmas" as she departed No10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom