Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My views exactly, Alpa. Just what I was thinking.

Did you know that Her Majesty has her 'copy' of the Dargie in her room? Sir William painted two as he wasn't sure that the one sent back to Australia would arrive unscathed. It did, and she kept one, though she doesn't know which one. She rarely comments on her portraits but it's obvious that the Dargie is special to her. It was the official portrait used in every school, government building, etc in Australia for decades.

In this portrait of the Queen, her Majesty's countenance is truly wonderful: very moving and wistful, in fact. She hasn't seen it yet, but the Palace representatives who have think it simply beautiful and are very pleased.

Queen Elizabeth has been in Ballater, Aberdeenshire, to unveil a plaque marking a special Diamond Jubilee cairn near her Balmoral Estate on September 27, 2012.

I LOVE this cairn. I love that the people of Ballater thought of it and made it real. 60 Scots "diamonds in the rough" is the perfect thing for 60 magnificent years. Yes, I am gushing! :flowers:

91 years young and still putting duty first. HRH is amazing!

Not only is he amazing but I think he's also looking much younger than his 91 years young. I think Scotland agreed with him this year. He looks fit and well rested.

I couldn't agree more with both of you regarding His Highness. He looks well-rested, and ready to roll, if you will :D. I'm so happy he has had a chance to really recover.

New portrait of the Queen,by Ralph Heimans, unveiled today at Australia's National Portrait Gallery in Canberra
Twitter / BBCPeterHunt: New portrait of the Queen,by ...

That is one magnificent portrait. Thank you for sharing. Her Majesty looks very much like a Queen that she is.

The Queen did not attend Crathie Church this morning as she's suffering from back pain. It's not often HM doesn't attend church on a Sunday. Apparently she had guests at Balmoral later this afternoon and didn't cancel that so hopefully it's not too bad. She and the DoE will leave Scotland for Buckingham Palace tomorrow.

BBC News - Queen misses church at Crathie on Deeside

Oh, that's too bad. It's amazing she doesn't complain more and miss more appearances. She's a trooper, so it must be pretty bad.

I'm sorry to hear that. The Queen tries her best to not miss Church on Sunday, wherever she is in the country and world.

I hope her back will be okay and I look forward to seeing her and his Royal Highness back out and about in London.

Sometimes I get the impression that the Queen's a little bit hunched over. I wonder if maybe that's what's giving her the pain?

Sometimes I get the impression that the Queen's a little bit hunched over. I wonder if maybe that's what's giving her the pain?

She is a bit hunched over now. The Queen still rides, feed her corgis, stand for long periods of time, bend over to talk and accept flowers and cards. A lot of that could put some wear and tear on the back.

The Queen did not attend Crathie Church this morning as she's suffering from back pain. It's not often HM doesn't attend church on a Sunday. Apparently she had guests at Balmoral later this afternoon and didn't cancel that so hopefully it's not too bad. She and the DoE will leave Scotland for Buckingham Palace tomorrow.

BBC News - Queen misses church at Crathie on Deeside

:sad:No pictures from church. Hope HM is resting that back!

I got a little bored what with the lack of church pictures so I used Google to map the Balmoral Castle environs. I found the Crathie church, which is lovely and not nearly as tiny as I thought. I also discovered a nine hole golf course on the grounds of Balmoral Castle. It's used by the occasional golfing royal as well as staff and now may be let for corporate outings. It is amazing what you can see on satellite photos!

The Queen has an engagement on Tuesday, so hopefully we'll see her in good health then, unveiling the Windsor and Eton Society Diamond Jubilee Tribute.

I hope Her Majesty will feel better. Back pain can leave one in agony. My step-father had to have surgery, because the pain got to be too much. Crossing my fingers that the Queen won't have to go that route.

I hope she feels better. I know back pain can be quite terrible. Now that she is older it gets harder I think for her to keep up the pace. As time goes on she will probably be doing much less. Its sometimes hard for me just to get up in the morning, at which time I have to take some medication just to move around. Yuk!

Back pain can be very bad and the cause will determine if anything can be done. Mine is degenerative and the Doctors say nothing can be done. We can try shots in the back for pain, but that doesn"t sound like fun to me. I hope HM can be helped.

Last edited:
The Queen unveiled her Diamond Jubilee tribute in Windsor today:

This pic is a hoot! It might giver HM's hat designers some ideas. http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Unveils+39FN71A6Y0Rl.jpg

Now that hat is something that reminds me of something out of Alice in Wonderland or a wedding cake but on HM it really works and accentuates her face so nicely. Love how the lines of the dress and the hat compliment each other and its a gorgeous color of purple too. :flowers:

A total win.

Now that hat is something that reminds me of something out of Alice in Wonderland or a wedding cake but on HM it really works and accentuates her face so nicely. Love how the lines of the dress and the hat compliment each other and its a gorgeous color of purple too. :flowers:

A total win.

Osipi - I agree totally - pin-tucks make a lovely understated design element and here they are used perfectly!

The Queen unveiled her Diamond Jubilee tribute in Windsor today:

This pic is a hoot! It might giver HM's hat designers some ideas. http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Unveils+39FN71A6Y0Rl.jpg
First off- I think H.M. looks lovely, the outfit, the hat she is wearing, and of course, that lovely smile.
I don't think her designers would dare to put her in a hat designed like that sculpture, but I am not so sure about Beatrice& Eugenie and their desingers, need I remind you of the weddings of the Cambridges, and Peter Phillips?:eek:
H.M. may want to hide that pic....;):lol:

Oh, that photo IS a hoot!!! Without the "bubbles" her outfit is wonderful.

roseroyal said:
Wow, the Duke is awesome with kids!:D

Yes, he does. I'd love to know what jokes he told to lighten the mood and elicit such smiles :D.

The Queen will not attend an investiture ceremony today at Windsor due to chronic back pain. Prince Charles is flying down from Scotland to fill in for her.

The Queen will not attend an investiture ceremony today at Windsor due to chronic back pain. Prince Charles is flying down from Scotland to fill in for her.

To be honest, I'm kind of glad to see HM allowing herself to step back and rest when something like chronic back pain sets in. Having the same problem flare up here now, I find it painful even to walk to the bathroom most times. I'm sure she's under the best of possible medical care and rest is the best possible thing for her right now. Gives HM time to just sit back. read a good book or catch up on movies she's been wanting to see eh?

I'm glad the Queen listens to her doctors and cuts back some of her engagements.
This said, I'm also very sad the time has come when she has to do that. :sad:

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter:
Buckingham Palace officials say they think the Queen has pulled something while riding but don't believe it's sciatica.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter:
Buckingham Palace officials say they think the Queen has pulled something while riding but don't believe it's sciatica.

:D Now that is definitely not a statement one would expect to be made about a woman that is 86 years old. Either way, I'm just glad she's resting.

Still riding at 86. Wow. She might use the calmest horse, but she still got on it and rode. Having had 3 back surgeries, I would never get on a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom