Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Well she betrayed their trust. However nice the memoirs are, they were private moments in the Yorks' life and in publishing a book about them Crawfie essentially invaded their privacy for personal gain.

I think the family felt let down by her, understandably. The royals are surrounded by staff so much that they need to be able to trust their closest employees. Otherwise they spend their life worrying about being overheard and whether the people around them are going to leak private information to the press. They can never truly relax. Unfortunately, Crawfie started a a bit of a trend which reached its obvious conclusion - former servants writing 'tell all' books and profiting as a result of betraying the trust the RF put in them.

Who would have thought at the time what disastrous ramifications a sweet and supposedly innocuous memoir would have had; this is why everyone who works for the RF has to sign confidentiality agreements not to divulge anything about them. But inevitably, scandals and information always get revealed.

Last edited:
I agree. No doubt Crawfie had nothing but good intentions (along with monetary ones) when she wrote the book.

I think the confidentiality agreements are pretty watertight, but all any staff member has to do is get in touch with a journalist and give them the scoop with the condition that their identity not be revealed. That's how we get all the articles quoting 'a trusted courtier' or a 'well informed aide'.

After reading the story about crawford, I am left wondering how much blame could possibly be put upon her husband. It seems he is the one who kept pushing her into doing it. I cant lay all the blame on her. Of course people can say no but when someone is told after all you gave up and your years of service you deserve some money, you would start throwing the thought back and forth until in the end you would think that maybe it wouldnt be so bad. I think thats what happened. I dont think she thought that there would be any harm in sharing her experiences. I rather feel sorry for her. I dont think she was a malicious person or had any intention of hurting the family. Just my opinion.

I doubt very much she wrote with any motive in mind other than to reminisce about her experiences with the royal children and didn't want to harm the family. Naturally, monetary remuneration would come into play with the writing of this book and I'm sure her husband played a major role in convincing her to do so, but she did attempt suicide several times and finally died isolated after society ostracized her. I wonder if she thought it worth it in the end. A sad story for her as well.

Another installment from Mrs. Crawford's book. Her Majesty was a very serious and considerate child, especially towards her little sister. It was so touching to read how she made sure that things such as battles weren't discussed in front of Margaret, so that the little girl won't be too upset and anxious. The life in Buckingham Palace was certainly no picnic. I can now understand why many royals are not ver fond of that place. It does indeed sound too big and impersonal. Also, I did love the mention of the antics of Her Majesty's corgi, Doogie, who 'loved the taste of trousers'. I'd imagine the life with the family of George VI (nee Yorks) was never, ever dull.

Diamond Jubilee: Playing in the castle dungeons as the Nazi bombs fell, Elizabeth the panto princess | Mail Online

Last edited:
Another installment from Crawford's book. This one is dealing with Princess Elizabeth's courtship with Prince Philip. I do love the fact that they saw a Broadway show together (even if it was 'Oklahoma!'), and that the song that reminded Princess Elizabeth of her love was a showtune. Again, we see that the future Queen was a kind individual, and modest one as well. She wasn't used to getting so many gifts, and when she received more than she felt she needed in honor of her wedding, she shared it with her beloved governess.

Queen Elizabeth II: How Her Majesty lost her heart slow dancing to a show tune from Oklahoma! | Mail Online

Queen Elizabeth has presented artist David Hockney with the Order of Merit and has received the Ambassador
of Angola Mr Miguel Fernandes Neto at Buckingham Palace today, May 22, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

HM looks lovely in those pictures. I must say that I much prefer her in the solid colors as opposed to the wild flowered prints she sometimes wear.

RIGHT ROYAL REMINISCING - BBC- THE ONE SHOW

Do you reminisce about the good old Royal days? Were YOU there when Her Majesty ascended the throne in 1952? What did you do for the Queen’s coronation in 1953? Have incredible stories been passed down to you from grandparents and parents?

The BBC’s ‘’THE ONE SHOW’’ wants to hear unique and fascinating stories of what YOU were doing on these two historic days, and why it’s such an important memory.

To tell us your story please email: theoneshow@bbc.co.uk and you might be invited onto the ONE SHOW JUBILEE BUS to tell us all about it.

She always looks lovely in solids. I have to agree, Im not real thrilled with prints on her either. The soft pink is very nice.

Queen Elizabeth II attended a reception to launch the Queen Victoria Journals Online project at Buckingham Palace on May 24, 2012 in London, England.

- Queen Elizabeth
- Queen Elizabeth with curators of the project
- Queen Elizabeth with the curator of the Royal Collection, Lady Jane Roberts

The Queen diaries: Her Majesty wears traditional floral dress to launch website of great-great-grandmother Victoria's journals
The Queen today wore a traditional floral dress to launch a very modern resource - a website made up of the journals of her great-great-grandmother Victoria. Dressed in a high-necked turquoise and purple frock and pearls, the monarch used a remote control to reveal the site on a screen in Buckingham Palace’s throne room.More than 40,000 pages of the diaries kept by Queen Victoria from the age of 13 until just before her death have been published.

Last edited:

Oh, the wealth of information! I'll be trying to check this site out.

When asked about her diaries, HM said they would never be published.

I can understand her desire to keep her private thoughts private. Plus, we know so much more about the lives of royals today than they did in the time of Queen Victoria, and it's all because of the press and how much information they're able to find and get published.

At least not until William's great-grandson/daughter is on the throne? I'm sure they would be of great use to historians.

At least not until William's great-grandson/daughter is on the throne? I'm sure they would be of great use to historians.

She said they would never be published. I don't see what use they would be to historians, they would be interesting to read but it's rather rude to read someone's diary.

So why does the Queen never sneeze in public? Mail has a light-heated look at Her Majesty's little secrets | Mail Online

Have you ever noticed that the Queen never sneezes in public? Or how she appears never to be suffering from a head cold?
Also, why is it that when she steps out of an airplane or helicopter, the fierce gusts of wind never blow her hair all over the place?
And how does she manage to keep us from catching a glimpse of regal knee when she get out of a car or horse-drawn carriage?

That's very understandable. Obviously in her position, she never really had a lot of privacy in her life.

Edit: post about old event - irrelevant.

Last edited:
^^^^^
That event was over a month ago?

I saw a documentary once where the Queen told a guest at a reception she was at that her diary entries are actually very short. She made a gesture with her hand of the size of the entry and it looked to be no more than 8 or 10 lines. She specifically said that it was nothing like Victoria's diaries, so it's debatable whether they'd be enlightening at all.

Oh, dear. :blush:
I'm afraid I confused the dates a bit; deleting the posts.

I do that often. Sometimes websites highlight old events, on the same day as the current one just a previous month. So i'm like ooooo new event. :lol:

I do that often. Sometimes websites highlight old events, on the same day as the current one just a previous month. So i'm like ooooo new event. :lol:
That happened to me; I searched for April 26 events, instead of May 26; had a vague feeling of deja vu, but decided to ignore it. :innocent:
Some real news now:

Queen Elizabeth loves royal blunders
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are the first to laugh when something goes wrong. The 85-year-old monarch and her 90-year-old husband share a similar sense of humor, according to their grandson Prince William, and he revealed occasional royal blunders make them laugh. He said: "My grandfather makes my grandmother laugh because some of the things he says and does and the way he looks at life is obviously slightly different than her so together they make a great couple."

Last edited:

William's admiration, love and respect for his Granny literally shines through his words. On the other hand, I do love the fact that Her Majesty and Prince Philip enjoy some occasional royal bloopers. They certainly break up the monotony of things. I can also imagine how Philip's humor provides a distraction for Her Majesty if she's feeling nervous or stressed. They're definitely well matched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom