Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir Donald Gosling was today installed as Vice Admiral of the United Kingdom. During the installation ceremony that took place at Windsor Castle, the Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, presented the new Vice Admiral with a flag. Also in attendance were Deputy Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral George Zambellas, First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope, and Second Sea Lord, Vice Admiral Charles Montgomery.

- The Queen presenting the flag
- A group picture
- Gallery from Daylife

Last edited:
The Duke of Edinburgh has been in Germany yesterday, April 24!

He visited the Barker Barracks in Paderborn in the north of Germany to award British soldiers with medals.
287 soldiers from the 3 Close Support Battalion REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) have
been honoured for their seven month long operations in Afghanistan.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **
** nw-news.de: Prinz Philip besucht Soldaten in Paderborn (including a video & gallery) ** translation **

Today, April 25, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will re-open the Cutty Sark Gardens and the Cutty Sark,
open the Royal River exhibition at the National Maritime Museum, they'll visit Greenland Pier to view and name
The Royal Row Barge, Gloriana and they'll attend a lunch at The Queen's House, National Maritime Museum.
Here are the first pics:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages gallery ** daylife gallery **
** hellomagazine: Queen helps the Cutty Sark rise from the flames and set sail again **
** BBC: Cutty Sark: Queen reopens Greenwich tea clipper **

Last edited by a moderator:
Resplendent in red! Queen brightens the gloom as she names Gloriana, the first royal barge to be built in 100 years
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh today braved heavy rain and driving winds to name a spectacular barge built to mark the Jubilee. The royal couple travelled to the East London dock where Gloriana is currently moored, awaiting the moment when it will make its way to Wandsworth Bridge on the Thames from where it will lead the Jubilee pageant on 3 June. Dressed in a bright red coat and hat that cut a swathe through the morning's gloom, the monarch descended a gangway at Greenland Pier on the Thames in London's Docklands before boarding the Gloriana.

.The Duke of Edinburgh has been in Germany yesterday, April 24!He visited the Barker Barracks in Paderborn in the north of Germany to award British soldiers with medals.
**** Pic 3 ****
I love this one! It has such a " doting Grandad" feel.:wub:
A side of The Duke that is always there, but that the press does not portray often enough, IMO.

Amazing to think that HM opened the original Cutty Sark 55 years ago. Now here she is doing it all again. I have to say, though, I've not heard good things about the renovation.

Truly awful weather for HM and the DoE, particularly to be on a boat on the Thames. They powered through like the true professionals they are though.

:previous:
I hope the finished portable hotels will look better than the one pictures; otherwise, it will be an eyesore.
The idea is good though and could potentially be used not only for Jubilee or Olympics, but also for solving temporary housing problems.

Is this the smallest ever portrait of the Queen? Artist creates piece of work on top of a pin to mark Diamond Jubilee
An artist has created what is believed to be the world's smallest ever portrait of the Queen. Graham Short decided to mark the Diamond Jubilee by engraving the image on top of a 2mm wide gold pin - a piece that took him nine months to complete. The miniature masterpiece is so small that it cannot even be seen seen by the naked eye and is only visible by using a magnifying glass.

Last edited:
As part of their Diamond Jubilee tour of the country the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are on a two day visit to Wales.
A Thanksgiving Service for the Diamond Jubilee in Llandaff Cathedral, a visit to the Cyfarthfa High (Lower) School and to
the Cyfarthfa Castle Museum as well as a civic lunch at Margam Country Park are part of the programme of day 1, April 26.

Here are some pics:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Queen Elizabeth II Visits Wales - Day One **

** reuters/gettyimages/AP - daylife gallery **

** walesonline: Queen arrives for two-day Welsh visit to mark Diamond Jubilee **

** dailymail: Royal white out: Queen is pure elegance as she visits South Wales... **

** BBC: Diamond Jubilee: Queen starts Wales tour at Llandaff Cathedral in Cardiff **

Lovely images of the Queen and The Duke. I am sure the Welsh population loved having them there. I wonder when she will be going to Northern Ireland. I wont be there but I shall be instructing my parents to go!

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh spent their second day in Wales today, April 27.
They officially opened Ynysowen Community Primary School in Merthyr Tydfil and The Works General Office
and Archives in Blaenau Gwent. They attended a Thanksgiving Service for the Diamond Jubilee at Christ
Church in Ebbw Vale and visited 'Diamonds in the Park' in Powys.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** daylife/reuters/gettyimages gallery **

** zimbio/gettyimages gallery: Queen Elizabeth II Visits Wales - Day Two **

** BBC: Diamond Jubilee: Queen opens Aberfan school on Wales tour **

** telegraph: Queen opens new primary school in Aberfan 46 years after mining disaster **

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9TeCmUnVOU

The Queen opens new primary school as she returns to Welsh village where 116 pupils died in horrific mining disaster
The Queen has opened a new primary school in a Welsh village devastated by a horrific mining disaster - marking a poignant return to the site still haunted by the tragedy after 46 years. A total of 144 people, including 116 children, lost their lives when a coal waste tip slid down a mountain, engulfing a school and surrounding houses in Aberfan in 1966. Today, in a show of her continuing support for the former mining community, Her Majesty unveiled a plaque at Ynysowen Community Primary School during the second and final day of her Diamond Jubilee visit to Wales.

Thank you for the article :flowers:. What a horrid disaster to have occurred. However, it's always lovely to see a community flourish in the midst of something like this. Shows us that humans are capable of surviving, even when things get extremely difficult.

I loved what the little girl said about Her Majesty. When I was her age, I saw the Queen in the same light; as a loving Granny (which of course she was).

It is sad that these people feel that it is more important to put food on the table and pay the rent and other bills than wear a piece of medal occasionally but that is the situation for many of them.
I agree. Few people, especially among those considered worthy of the medal, would consider selling honours like that if they absolutely had too. It's incredibly sad those heroes (and every one of them deserves the epithet) are forced to do that; when a country isn't able to look properly after its finest, you know it is in trouble. :sad:

Thank you for the article :flowers:. What a horrid disaster to have occurred. However, it's always lovely to see a community flourish in the midst of something like this. Shows us that humans are capable of surviving, even when things get extremely difficult.

I loved what the little girl said about Her Majesty. When I was her age, I saw the Queen in the same light; as a loving Granny (which of course she was).
The tragedy was devastating but events like that bring people together; we as species wouldn't have survived had it not been for the ability to unite in times of need.
What the little girl said was both sweet and true; while it's difficult not to think of Her Majesty as the Queen, sometimes - especially when she's wearing her headscarves - I just see a fluffy grandmother (and I never thought I'd use the word "fluffy" and "the Queen" in one sentence).

The Queen seemed to enjoy meeting the Chief Scout, Bear Grylls. I don't blame her ;).

I'm sure HM got a warm reception from the residents of Windsor, considering they're neighbours of her's. I'm sure the Queen enjoyed having her engagement be so close to home.

Her Majesty looks positive radiant. Her smile could light up the entire neighborhood :D.

I'm sure HM got a warm reception from the residents of Windsor, considering they're neighbours of her's. I'm sure the Queen enjoyed having her engagement be so close to home.

Nothing like meeting and hobnobbing with the neighbors! She looked wonderful.

I was in Atlantic City, New Jersey, for my birthday - April 29 (a popular date for a certain marriage) - and saw a solar-powered figure of the Queen so that when you put it in sunlight, little mirrors on her handbag cause her hand to gently wave. I should have given in to the kitsch and bought it!

Last edited:
Nothing like meeting and hobnobbing with the neighbors! She looked wonderful.

I was in Atlantic City, New Jersey, for my birthday - April 29 (a popular date for a certain marriage) - and saw a solar-powered figure of the Queen so that when you put it in sunlight, little mirrors on her handbag cause her hand to gently wave. I should have given in to the kitsch and bought it!

A very happy (belated) birthday, Baroness! :flowers: That certainly sounds like an interesting bit of royal kitsch. Did you take a picture of it?

Last April 29 must have been a great day for you - birthday and massive royal wedding all in one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom