Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
Thank you MichelleQ2! :)
I thought it looked familiar.

EIIR said:
The Olympic Park will be called the Queen Elizabeth II Olympic Park after the games. I think that's pretty substantial.

I didn't know that but that is definitely substantial and apt.

EIIR said:
The Olympic Park will be called the Queen Elizabeth II Olympic Park after the games. I think that's pretty substantial.

Just seen on Sky News that BBC Journalists and Technicians are being balloted on strike action over pay which would apparently coincide with the Diamond Jubilee TV coverage. I think this is a disgraceful move, particularly since the BBC are responsible for the massive concert outside BP. Many of us can't be in London that weekend and are relying on the TV coverage to watch the events. The whole thing could become a shambles.

Are you serious? Well I think that is just plain wrong of the BBC to do that. This is a huge event and people are relying on the coverage. Totally not cool!!

If I read correctly, it is not the BBC, but the union people who work for them. It sounds like blackmail to me.

Today at lunch, I took a stroll around our Centennial Olympic Park. Next time I'm in London, I'll hopefully be able to stroll around QEII's Olympic Park. Nice.

Can anyone tell me where the Olympic Park in London will be located?

Last edited:
Queen's Jubilee barge launched
A spectacular million-pound row barge built to mark the Queen's 60-year reign has been launched on the River Thames. The 94-foot vessel, decorated with gold leaf and ornately carved, harks back 200 years to when kings and queens travelled by water in opulent style. It will be one of the star attractions in this summer's Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - a 1,000-strong flotilla of boats with the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh travelling at its heart.

Video of the launch.

Thanks. I have spent some working time at 1 Cabot Square, so I know exactly where the park will be.

How Tudor England in design; very Elizabethan. I really like the medieval-type look of the barge and decorations; this will be a sight to see floating down the Thames. Thank you, Marine.

How Tudor England in design; very Elizabethan. I really like the medieval-type look of the barge and decorations; this will be a sight to see floating down the Thames. Thank you, Marine.

I mirror your sentiments. This will be a very impressive sight to behold during the Jubilee Weekend.

Hi,

Happy 86th Birthday to Queen Elizabeth II and long may she reign.....

Larry

Happy Birthday to Her Majesty:flowers:!!! Congratulations on you Jubilee Year!

Gun salute for Queen's birthday
Queen Elizabeth II marks 86th birthday
Queen's birthday marked with gun salutes across U.K.

Cannons were blasting all over the United Kingdom Saturday to mark Queen Elizabeth II's 86th birthday. The Royal Navy fired a 21-gun salute at the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour on the south coast and the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery fired a 41-gun salute from Hyde Park. The Queen is traditionally given the salutes on her birthday at military bases around the country. An extra 20 volleys are fired from Hyde Park because it's considered a royal park.
In honour of Her Majesty's 86th birthday, gun saluted were fired throughout the Kingdom.
That including a 62 gun salute at hte Tomer of London and a 41 gun salute was fired in Hyde Park.
- Gunteams from The Kings Troop of the Royal Artillery during the salute
- Gallery from Daylife

Last edited:
Children's self-portraits cover Buckingham Palace
Huge projected images of the Queen, made up of thousands of children's self-portraits, are covering Buckingham Palace each night until Saturday. More than 200,000 self-portraits have been used to create the images. The Prince's Foundation for Children & the Arts created the artwork to celebrate young people before the Diamond Jubilee and London 2012 Games.

Video of the projection
I must say, I absolutely love it, especially the way Union Jack appears "on" the Palace. :)

That is really creative; what a wonderful artistic tribute to HM and kudos to everyone involved in its formulation and presentation.

Last edited:
:previous:
It really is; both the presentation and execution were really well. :)
I don't understand why the event wasn't publicised beforehand though: a lot of people would have loved to be there for the exhibition had they known about it.

The projections of the childrens' self-portraits onto BP was a wonderful idea, and a tribute to HM by the PoW whose charity organised it all.

I think the projections were being held over at least 2 nights, and I suppose the organisers felt it would get press attention on the 1st night which would then allow people to pop along on the 2nd night.

I was the Queen's official gossip: Bitchy, witty and shocking - we publish letters by her Vice Chamberlain about what really happened in the House of Commons
They were the most bizarre official reports the Queen ever received – hand delivered to her each night at 6pm from her Vice Chamberlain, a Labour MP from mining stock in Co Durham. When I was appointed Vice Chamberlain, the Government whip responsible for writing nightly reports to the Queen, I had no idea it would lead to regular chats with the Queen; that I would share gossip and witness at first hand her warmth and humour . . . and even talk about what the public were doing to the carpets in Buckingham Palace.

What the Queen really thinks about the public walking on her carpets

Beyond the confines of her family, the Queen rarely lets her guard slip. Which is why it is so intriguing to learn such secrets as her joke about Glenda Jackson, her worries for Tony Blair - and what she really feels about letting her subjects traipse through Buckingham Palace. ‘Do you know, everyone shuffles along in a line,’ the Queen told one MP over tea, while giving a demonstration of the public’s actions. This means that they push all the carpet pile in one direction, so the following year we have to turn all the carpets round so they can push it back the other way.’

Buckingham Palace makeover celebrates Queen's Diamond Jubilee and London 2012 Olympics | Mail Online
Here are some additional photos and video of the grand- and witty- projections on the front of BP.
This is a pretty impressive and original way to honor Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics. Kudos to all who participated, and those that shared the links on the forum.
Birthday Queen Elizabeth at the rainy Newbury racecourse today, April 21, 2012.
Priceless face expressions! :)
These made me giggle. I hope Her Majesty enjoyed herself (and by the looks of things, I'd say she did).
This woman has a really fabulous wit, and a way of putting things. I'd love to have a candid chat with her. I'm sure I'd get some very interesting observations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom