Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when Kate's yellow dress blew up in Canada people said, "the Queen would never let that happen!". Turns out they were wrong.

The Queen wouldn't let that happen "now" it seems.
Also HM was wearing a slip. I wonder how many royal ladies have had their skirts blow up from the wind.

The Queen has wonderful taste in clothes and always looks the perfect lady. But I particularly like it when she is wearing bright colours, which she often does, because they brighten her up and make her look younger.

That was an interesting article Artemisia. Experience is a great teacher. I notice that of the probably billions of pictures that have been taken of HM...there is only the one picture of her dress blowing up. She is one smart lady.

Obviously she learned very quickly from that situation and quickly corrected the wardrobe malfunction. Experience is the best teacher!

The Queen wouldn't let that happen "now" it seems. Also HM was wearing a slip. I wonder how many royal ladies have had their skirts blow up from the wind.
Virtually all royal ladies have experiences wardrobe malfunctions of some sorts.
Just a couple of pictures to illustrate:
- Queen Elizabeth (a different picture)
- Queen Paola of Belgium
- The Duchess of Cambridge
- The Duchess of Cornwall
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- Sarah, Duchess of York
- Princess Eugenie
- Princess Letizia
- Princess Maxima

Artemisia, I tip my cyber hat to you as the Queen of Esoteric Research and Arcana! What a great gallery of rising hemlines; the photo of Maxima with her wardrobe malfunction is just :eek: and deserves a special mention. And did Queen Elizabeth's dressmaker forget the weights in her hem?

Last edited:
Artemisia, I tip my cyber hat to you as the Queen of Esoteric Research and Arcana! What a great gallery of rising hemlines; the photo of Maxima with her wardrobe malfunction is just :eek: and deserves a special mention. And did Queen Elizabeth's dressmaker forget the weights in her hem?
Thank you, I'm quite honoured! :D
Either it was an exceptionally strong wind, or the picture was from pre-weights era.
Princess Mary has a picture rather similar to that of Maxima; royal ladies sometimes underestimate the exposure flash lights can give.

Sorry to go backwards, but I also want to thank Artemisia for taking the time to look for and post those pictures. Queen Paola had the worst wind imo. And it's unfortunate that with Camilla's we see her wearing knee highs instead of full on stockings.
As for Maxima, good gawd! It actually looks like she did it on purpose, like the shirt is intentionally transparent. But I have seen some women on red carpets wearing what appears to be a normal black dress but with all the flashes the dress decides to play peek-a-boo.

Sorry to go backwards, but I also want to thank Artemisia for taking the time to look for and post those pictures. Queen Paola had the worst wind imo. And it's unfortunate that with Camilla's we see her wearing knee highs instead of full on stockings.
As for Maxima, good gawd! It actually looks like she did it on purpose, like the shirt is intentionally transparent. But I have seen some women on red carpets wearing what appears to be a normal black dress but with all the flashes the dress decides to play peek-a-boo.

I'm fairly certain she's wearing some kind of support/compression stocking as she had just recently broken her leg. When the cast comes off, often people are advised to wear those kinds of things for up to a year to try and prevent swelling. If you look really carefully, I don't think she's got one on the other leg.

Thanks Artemisia for those great pics. Perhaps you've come upon an idea for a more general thread - Royal Woopsies?

You are welcome, ladies. :)

Sorry to go backwards, but I also want to thank Artemisia for taking the time to look for and post those pictures. Queen Paola had the worst wind imo.
Queen Paola's wardrobe malfunction was pretty unfortunate but not the worst: I deliberately cropped the picture of Princess Letizia and chose not to post the most embarrassing ones of Kate out of respect. Unfortunately, both ladies were rather more exposed than Queen Paola.

:previous:
Rather unfortunate decision, isn't it?
Still, they will probably sell a few records and earn quite a lot - which appears to be the only thing that matters these days. :sad:

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain she's wearing some kind of support/compression stocking as she had just recently broken her leg. When the cast comes off, often people are advised to wear those kinds of things for up to a year to try and prevent swelling. If you look really carefully, I don't think she's got one on the other leg.

Thanks Artemisia for those great pics. Perhaps you've come upon an idea for a more general thread - Royal Woopsies?
I looked again and it appears that she does have the same arrangement on both legs. When my MIL broke her leg (granted she was a 15 years older than Camilla) they had her wear a compression contraption on both legs when she was laid up to prevent clotting issues, but not afterwards. I guess it's possible she's wearing knee highs. Camilla was famously indifferent to fashion, so who knows.

When I had my knee operations I had to wear compression stockings for at least six months afterwards and to make it not look so obvious I did get a matching one for the other leg.

I don't see one on her other leg, but even if there is that's obviously a compression stocking. You can tell because it's very thick and looks as if it's tight.

We haven't seen her wear anything like it since. You can tell from the colour of her legs that she doesn't wear super thick knee high tights that look like that, evert.

Wonderful article, thank you Duke! :flowers:

All hell broke loose': Duke of Edinburgh gives first account of his role in 1941 naval battle that sank Italian cruisers
Prince Philip has spoken publicly for the first time of his part in a Second World War naval battle where 'all hell broke loose'. He described his vital role in the Battle of Cape Matapan where Royal Navy warships destroyed Italian cruisers off the Greek coast in 1941. Aged just 19, he was in charge of picking out enemy ships in the darkness using the spotlight aboard HMS Valiant.
As quite a few comments after the article state, they just don't make them like that any more. Prince Philip is quite simply a national treasure.
I would have been proud to have him as a member of my royal family (if we did have a royal family).

In the same vein as Artemisia's post above with the MailOnline link, but this one is from The Telegraph...

Duke of Edinburgh opens up about Battle of Matapan - Telegraph

The Duke of Edinburgh has for the first time given a detailed account of his involvement in a fierce Second World War naval battle which earned him a military honour.

The 90-year-old Duke was a Midshipman aboard HMS Valiant during the Battle of Cape Matapan when British warships destroyed five Italian vessels off the coast of Greece in 1941. He was Mentioned in Despatches for operating the battleship's searchlight during the naval encounter and picking out enemy targets in the darkness.

Until now, the Duke has been reticent about his memories of the battle, in common with many other veterans of the war. But in a foreword to a new book about the battle, he matter-of-factly describes his recollection of the skirmish, which lasted from March 27 to 29.

We all complain about the Daily Mail all the time, but with an article like that it really comes into its own. No other news website would publish all those photos, full size, on one page. You usually just get one or two photos at the start.

Also nice to see Angela Kelly. In my former job one of our clients owned a high-end shirt company and had got to know Angela very well. He always had wonderful things to say about her and she's been a wonderful assistant/dresser to the Queen. Not bad for a Scouse lass.

Those were great images of the Queen. What a treat to see her like that and that is a wonderful hologram. Good job.

Last edited:

What lovely photos! Thank you for the article :flowers:. I love the dignity Her Majesty possesses even in candid shots. You know you're looking at a Monarch. My favorite shots have to be when she's putting her crown on. There's so much reverence in that act.

Wonderful article, thank you Duke! :flowers:

All hell broke loose': Duke of Edinburgh gives first account of his role in 1941 naval battle that sank Italian cruisers
As quite a few comments after the article state, they just don't make them like that any more. Prince Philip is quite simply a national treasure.
I would have been proud to have him as a member of my royal family (if we did have a royal family).

Well said! I'm a history buff, so this was a very interesting and enjoyable read. His Highness did indeed serve his country, and served it well. No, they don't make them like that nowadays. 'Nation treasure' is a good way to describe him.

Queen Elizabeth hosted a reception for members of the Royal Engineers Association at Windsor Castle
today, April 18, 2012 and was presented with two park benches to mark her Diamond Jubilee.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

Gallery from Daylife.
Does anyone recognise the room the reception was in? It looks awfully familiar but I just don't seem to be able to put a name to it.

Last edited:
Queen's timely honour: Plan to rename Big Ben tower gathers support from leaders
Senior MPs from all three main parties are being given unprecedented freedom to back moves to rename the tower housing Big Ben in honour of the Queen’s six decades on the throne. Ministers and shadow ministers, who do not traditionally support backbench campaigns, are being encouraged to sign up to a cross-party proposal to change the structure’s official name from the Clock Tower to the Elizabeth Tower.
I am a keen supporter of this move; Her Majesty certainly deserves the honour.
The clock itself will continue to be known as Big Ben (since only the towers' name is proposed to be change), so there aren't really any obstacles.

Surely they could name something a little more substantial after The Queen. Seeing as it will actually continue to be called Big Ben, what's the point?

The Olympic Park will be called the Queen Elizabeth II Olympic Park after the games. I think that's pretty substantial.

Just seen on Sky News that BBC Journalists and Technicians are being balloted on strike action over pay which would apparently coincide with the Diamond Jubilee TV coverage. I think this is a disgraceful move, particularly since the BBC are responsible for the massive concert outside BP. Many of us can't be in London that weekend and are relying on the TV coverage to watch the events. The whole thing could become a shambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom