Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know she's wrinkly but not that wrinkly. HM actually has great skin for someone her age.

I have to agree; HM's got lovely skin for her age and has her share of wrinkles, certainly, but this image seems riddled with them. My mom's 89 with beautiful skin and less wrinkles than this.

'Don't touch the Queen, don't ask questions and don't turn your back': Milliner to the monarch recalls the terror of royal fittings
Being called upon to design for the Queen is likely to be the highlight of any fashion designer's career. But it could also herald the most daunting, indeed, terrifying moment in a couturier's life.
As revealed in a new book, Elizabeth: Reigning in Style by Jane Eastoe, reprised in this weekend’s Stella magazine, to be asked to supply sketches to the Queen was a daunting prospect.

Queen Elizabeth during an Investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle today, April 3rd:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Very nice. I read in Robert Hardman's book, "Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II" that to make it easier for the Queen, investitures were moved from BP to Windsor where she stays most of the time. This way, she can keep up with the amount of the investitures but actually lighten her workload by performing them at Windsor. Thanks for posting, iceflower!

Very nice. I read in Robert Hardman's book, "Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II" that to make it easier for the Queen, investitures were moved from BP to Windsor where she stays most of the time. This way, she can keep up with the amount of the investitures but actually lighten her workload by performing them at Windsor. Thanks for posting, iceflower!

I remember reading something about this too, only in a different source. Thanks for mentioning the book. Will have to look into borrowing it from the library.

The book also relates the time when HM had her meltdown and lost her temper with Philip. The cameraman actually caught the incident on tape, but because it was a different time back then when the media was more respectful of the royals, the cameraman destroyed the tape and personally handed it over to the Queen. I won't ruin for anyone who wants to read this book exactly what he saw, but it may have been embarrassing for the royal couple if it were broadcast!;)

Last edited:
THE QUEEN & I
Heather Morgan, 76, a retired book buyer from Twickenham, Surrey, travelled from Wales to camp out in front of Westminster Abbey before the Coronation in 1953. ‘My sister, her flatmate and I took a picnic and tucked ourselves into a spot outside the Abbey with an uninterrupted view. It rained overnight but the Dunkirk spirit prevailed and we sang songs like Roll Out The Barrel – there was a feeling of optimism, as if everything was coming good after the war.
The personal stories are really lovely. :)

:previous:
I always enjoy articles like that. :)

The Easter Egg that's fit for the Queen (and its big enough to share with the whole family)
It is an Easter egg fit for a Queen. The Queen in fact. Pictured here for the first time is the luxury chocolate treat that the monarch will open with her family at Windsor Castle on Sunday. The 4lb dark chocolate egg is made each year by her Royal Warrant holders, Prestat, and delivered by hand in time for her to tuck in following church on Easter Sunday.

Oh, yum, a chocoholic's dream come true; what a nice Easter gift for the Queen.

The Queen and Prince Philip were also given chocolate from the new chocolate museum in York on Thursday. The Queen apparently remarked when given her box that 'she wasn't sharing on the train home'.

I am sure she has a bit but gives some to everybody else. I am intrigued as to what the gifts inside are!

Queen invites ruler of Bahrain's bloody regime to her Jubilee lunch at Windsor Castle because 'it's very rude to leave anyone off the list'
The Queen has risked an international outcry by inviting the King of Bahrain to a Diamond Jubilee banquet despite widespread criticism of his bloody and repressive regime. The English-educated Sheikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa is on the guest list for a lunch hosted by the Queen in May at Windsor Castle. He is also thought to be among those invited to a champagne dinner given by Prince Charles the same evening at Buckingham Palace. The invitations will infuriate human rights campaigners and MPs angry at the Gulf state’s violent crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrations.

There is a long list of people being invited that will cause offense due to human rights abuses but this says a lot about the Queen and the BRF and their attitude to these abuses - they don't care otherwise they wouldn't be invited. The family knows they will get a lot of new jewels from these people so invite them even though they are ordering murders in the streets of their own countries and are restricting the freedoms of half of their populations (women).

I think they may attend, considering they met the Wessex's in December. I know Sophie caused a stir because she "accepted jewels" yada, yada, yada. I do, however, think they may want to keep up a tie with the British, for the future. But I agree, I think the Palace are probably hoping they say no.

There's a lot more to the Bahrain issue than at first appears. Because of the UK's long ties with Bahrain going back to Empire days, the UK government has chosen to work with the Bahraini King to try and make the necessary changes to promote democarcy and human rights. At some point in a situation like this foreign governments have to decide whether to work with a regime to improve things, or try and freeze them out. Crucially, even the opposition parties in Bahrain don't want to get rid of their King, they support the monarchy. Given this, the UK government is right to try and work with them to improve things, and indeed they've offered Bahrain any and all assistance to do so.

David Cameron has had the Bahraini King to Downing Street lately, and he visited HM at BP. Given all this, it's only natural that they would be invited. I have no doubt, also, that all invites are cleared by the government before they go out.

Wow! That's a lot of chocolate, but for a chocoholic, this is pretty much heaven. I hope the family enjoys eating it (if they can get a piece, since it seems Her Majesty is very...serious about her chocolate :D).

Oh, yum, a chocoholic's dream come true; what a nice Easter gift for the Queen.

Oh, indeed it is. Bet everyone enjoys sharing this bit of chocolate heaven.

The Queen and Prince Philip were also given chocolate from the new chocolate museum in York on Thursday. The Queen apparently remarked when given her box that 'she wasn't sharing on the train home'.

:ROFLMAO: Oh, she's after my own heart with this then :D. Don't get between me and my chocolate.

I am sure she has a bit but gives some to everybody else. I am intrigued as to what the gifts inside are!

When I read about the gifts inside, I was reminded of the Faberge Easter eggs that were presented to various royals. The eggs had 'surprises' inside.

Her Majesty and DOE pretty in pink visits Manchester this morning.

Thanks for this dbarn - she looks lovely. But is it definitely on Easter Sunday? Its just that a large number of the family are at Windsor which is traditionally where the Queen spends Easter

Interesting article, Artemisia, thanks. That picture of HM with her skirt blowing up is one I hadn't seen before - HM certainly has a great set of pins on her!

It used to be when you bought clothes from YSL, etc the skirts were all weighted with a tiny chain sewed into the hem of the skirt. This was to make them hang better, as well as the other issue.

I've always heard that HM had weights sewn in her hems, so that's an interesting article. And I've never seen a picture with her hem blowing up, either, so I guess that's one of the rare times we ever would before she corrected the problem. And most likely the reason for that practice! Thanks, Artemisia.

Last edited:
Thank you for the article, Artemisia :flowers:. I can only imagine the horror one must feel when one's skirt is flying in the breeze like that (and I imagine Her Majesty is not a fan of such a malfunction taking place). The weights in the hems of her skirts and dresses are certainly a big help. I've never seen a picture with her skirt flying either. Interesting article.

You are all welcome. :)
I've never seen that picture (or any picture like that) before either; it's almost comforting to know even the Queen wasn't immune to such wardrobe malfunctions. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom