Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will you just be able to walk into the Minster without a ticket, or do you need a ticket? Wish I was going to be there. One of my favorite places on Earth.

I'm trying to bag an invite in to the Minster, but it is closed for the day to the public. However if I can't get in i'll be outside bright and early to watch her arrive.

I'm so jealous. One of the disadvantages of living in Northern Ireland is that the Palace can't pre-announce royal visits due to the security risks. William and Kate were just across the street from my office last year on Pancake Day, but we didn't know until they were leaving.

I'll probably have to head to the mainland to guarantee a sighting.

SO EXCITED! My aim of the day is wiggle my way to the front and say Hello to the Queen.

How exciting for you! I hope you'll be able to catch a glimpse, and say 'hello'.

I'm so jealous. One of the disadvantages of living in Northern Ireland is that the Palace can't pre-announce royal visits due to the security risks. William and Kate were just across the street from my office last year on Pancake Day, but we didn't know until they were leaving.

I'll probably have to head to the mainland to guarantee a sighting.

I can understand the security risks, and your disappointment in not being able to see William and Catherine last year. I live in the States, so I do indeed feel your pain.

Well its about time she do something positive. Hanging out with her mom is not exactly the best thing. I think she needs to make a switch and become more involved with the other side. Afterall she could end up being admired for her performance as a royal. :)

Please note that if you would like discuss Beatrice's royal role and/or career options , you may do so here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...princesses-beatrice-and-eugenie-10023-63.html and http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f113/career-options-for-princess-beatrice-31837-6.html.

In addition, discussion and posts regarding the Royal Maundy service, should be posted here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-service-all-years-2011-21-april-16310-6.html .

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

The Queen, accompanied by Prince Philip, received a loyal address from by the privileged bodies today. As part of an old tradition, certain organisations retain the long-held right to present addresses to the Sovereign and to receive a response from her.

The Queen receiving a loyal address from
- The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams
- http://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010040021V13330359261638912The Lord Mayor of London Alderman David Wootton
- The Chancellor of Cambridge University Lord Sainsbury
- The Chancellor of Oxford University Lord Patten of Barnes
- The Moderator of the Scottish Assembly Reverend David Arnott

Last edited:
Oh dear, tartan trousers on Rev. Arnott. Not sure about those.

Ummmm! Is that supposed to be a flattering look? I think that is definitely a fashion faux pas. Eww. What else can one say?

Well, he either had to wear the tartan trousers or a kilt. Otherwise, he couldn't wear his jacket and ruffly shirt. I don't think they look so bad. It is a national costume.

Does anyone know why the Diamond Jubilee thread is still closed? I mean, the celebrations have actually begun. Every day there's more news about what's happening and plans for the central weekend and the royal tours. I don't bother posting about it all that much because we can't have an actual discussion on it when the post is moved to the locked thread.

I know the big weekend celebrations are the most important bit of it all, but there's plenty going on in the meantime.

I think if it was opened from the start of the events in February to the end of the events at the end of July or even further in the year we'd be looking at a lot of pages. The majority of the events get discussed here, then moved to the thread when the conversation dies out.

New posts in today's thread, like IceFlowers are highlighted and appear in the Portal and New Posts section. It will be opened in the lead up to big weekend I think.

Judging by the expression on the Duke of Edinburgh's face, nether is he. :D

Philip's facial expression is quite priceless. I don't think he's too keen on the attire :D.

HM looks wonderful. Perfect outfit for this unseasonably warm and sunny weather we've been having.

Last edited:
Elizabeth inspected some of the works by students of Forest Academy, as well as some of the works at the London Pride Art and Design exhibition during a visit to Valentines Park and Mansion in Redbridge, southern England.
Among them were:
- Portrait of Margaret Thatcher (good likeness :ROFLMAO:)
- A sculpture of something unidentifiable
- Presumably a horse

The Queen looks lovely, and Prince Philip appeared to be in great shape (and mood).

Gallery from Daylife
Gallery from Getty

Definitely interesting pieces of art (though the portrait of Baroness Thatcher is a little scary :eek:). Her Majesty looks fabulous, and it's lovely to see that she was received by such huge crowds. It must really make her feel loved and appreciated.

Duke of Edinburgh asks disabled man: How many people have you knocked over with your mobility scooter?
The Duke of Edinburgh showed that his recent health problems have not dulled his mischievous sense of humour today when he joined the Queen on a visit to north London.
The 90-year-old asked a man on a mobility scooter: “How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?” The subject of the joke was David Miller, 60, a trustee of the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge, which the Queen and the Duke were visiting. He said: “That is just typical from the Duke. He is renowned for his humour but no offence was taken, it was all in good humour. “I told him no, your Royal Highness, I had not knocked anyone down.”
So typical of the Prince! :D

Thousands greet Queen at Jubilee tour in London
The Queen was greeted by thousands of cheering well-wishers as her Diamond Jubilee tour of Great Britain rolled into London today. Hundreds of Union Jack-waving school children, parents and pensioners lined the route taken by the monarch and Prince Philip through the park and grounds of an historic house in Redbridge, North East London.

Queen's waxwork gets a £150,000 makeover at Tussauds ahead of Diamond Jubilee celebrations
To mark 60 years on the throne the Queen's Madame Tussauds waxwork is getting a £150,000 makeover. While the monarch did not sit for the recreation she did send over her measurements and approvals for different aspects of the sculpture. Artists at the London attraction have based the model on her official Diamond Jubilee portrait
The newest version looks very lifelike so far. But the 1969 version is just horrid. :ohmy:

'Knocked anyone down lately?' Prince Philip drops a clanger as he chats to disabled man on mobility scooter during Queen's Diamond Jubilee tour
The Duke of Edinburgh has long been known for his less than tactful ways. And today, he played to type as he asked a man on a mobility scooter during today's tour of Redbridge whether he had run anyone over recently.Despite his recent health problems, it was clear Philip had lost none of his waspish humour when he joked with the disabled man about his mode of transport.

I completely agree with you, Daria: Prince Philip has got a wicked sense of humour! :D

Philip's certainly the perfect foil for HM, who's always the picture of diplomacy and decorum! He's certainly feeling his oats, as they say.

And the older waxwork version in no way, shape or form even resembles HM. The current one is more realistic a likeness.

Last edited:
I have to agree. The 1969 version is absolutely ghastly and looked nothing like her. The newest version of wax figure is a beautiful llikeness of her. And she looked radiant and beautiful in her blue outfit. Prince Phillips is looking chipper as well.

The old wax figure might as well have been any woman, dressed in a royal robe. It looks nothing like Her Majesty. While the new one is a wonderful likeness. I'm glad they're making it in time for the Jubilee.

Maybe it's just me, but I think they've made HM a bit too wrinkly in the new waxwork. Maybe it'll look better when painted.

That earlier waxwork could be used as a scare crow.

:previous: Although HM is beautiful, she is wrinkly. She's 85 for goodness sake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom