Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be o.k. to rename the tower that holds Big Ben. It would be a nice tribute to the Queen. I don't know, then again everyone is used to how it is now although it would still be known as Big Ben. Oh forget it! I don't know what I'm saying. Let the renaming go forward. :)

As much as I adore HM, can't they find another landmark to rename for her? What about the Elizabeth Eye instead of the London Eye? :lol:

I agree that you could find something more fitting to name after Queen Elizabeth, hopefully not the eye either.

Bride's shock as Queen turns up at wedding | The Sun |News

A lucky couple enjoyed their very own royal wedding yesterday — when their ceremony was gatecrashed by the Queen.

BBC News - Queen joins wedding party at Manchester Town Hall

The Queen dropped in on a wedding at Manchester Town Hall, while touring the city as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations.

It's lovely that the couple sent a "joking" invite to Buckingham Palace, who replied declining the invite but then arranged a surprise visit. :flowers:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Queen-popped-congratulate-shocked-bride.html

Last edited:
What an incredible event; certainly not your normal gatecrasher. Those will be some memorable photos to add to the wedding album!

Last edited:
I think I would have fainted! What an awesome surprise. Lucky couple.

A lovely gesture by the Queen and Duke to ask to meet the bride and groom. What a wonderful memory for them and their guests.

Thank you for posting the links.

What an amazing moment for them!

It is a really sweet story. It reminds me of the lady who was well over 100 who wrote to the Queen to complain that she was wearing the same outfit in all her birthday telegrams. So the Queen sent Prince William along to say sorry to her in person and assure her that the Queen had updated the photo on the card.

It is a really sweet story. It reminds me of the lady who was well over 100 who wrote to the Queen to complain that she was wearing the same outfit in all her birthday telegrams. So the Queen sent Prince William along to say sorry to her in person and assure her that the Queen had updated the photo on the card.

Wow! The things she would do. :)

That is a really cute story indeed. Her Majesty certainly takes what her subjects tell her seriously.

Wow. If Her Majesty (or any other high profile British royal) showed up at my wedding, I would most likely pass out from the shock alone. What a lovely memory for the couple.

Heck, I think they should erect a prominent monument to HM; she's so deserving of it. Maybe a statue will be commissioned for her like the one of Queen Victoria.

Oh, I think that would be a very lovely tribute. She has done her job exceptionally well, and definitely deserves recognition.

Oh, I think that would be a very lovely tribute. She has done her job exceptionally well, and definitely deserves recognition.

I have no doubt that probably several statues will be erected to honour the Queen.

I have my doubts about the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square though. The art establishment have taken it over with all manner of 'modern art' installations taking turns on it. When I say art I mean it in the loosest possible sense - Fishy business on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square at The End of the Line Blog

I have no doubt that probably several statues will be erected to honour the Queen.

I have my doubts about the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square though. The art establishment have taken it over with all manner of 'modern art' installations taking turns on it. When I say art I mean it in the loosest possible sense - Fishy business on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square at The End of the Line Blog

Oh gracious Heavens! Why did they put a sculpture of fish of all things in such a historic location. I'm sorry, but it's quite hideous.

Oh gracious Heavens! Why did they put a sculpture of fish of all things in such a historic location. I'm sorry, but it's quite hideous.

Thankfully, its temporary.
For quite a few years now, the fourth pillar is used for the temporary display of different works of art.

It was an initiative by the artist Anthony Gormley whereby anyone could get up on the plinth for half an hour and do whatever they wanted. This included people dressing up as Godzilla and demolishing a model of London, an activist dressing up in a Nazi uniform and sitting in a wheelchair to protest about rights for the disabled etc etc. All manner of bonkers stuff was put on the plinth.

This is what's currently on the plinth:

Mayor of London presents Fourth Plinth | Elmgreen and Dragset

Of course, this being 'modern art' the whole project ends up costing tax payers hundreds of thousands of pounds every year.

HM is such a lovely woman, imagine secretly planning to meet the bride and groom after declining their invitation. Honestly, she's adorable!

What a great video, I loved it! And the bride curtsied so elegantly. Thanks so much for posting. A day to remember for this couple in so many ways. Maybe they will send HM and Philip a postcard from their honeymoon as their new BFFs!:lol:

Last edited:
Great video, thank you, Osipi! :flowers:

Even CNN has picked the story now - Queen Elizabeth stuns bride and groom by accepting invite
John and Frances Canning didn't really expect Queen Elizabeth to come to their wedding, but when they learned she was going to be in Manchester, England, on the day of their nuptials, they sent an invitation on a whim.
She showed up.

Prince Philip’s fight crack is a knockout for uni pair
Royal joker Prince Philip had students from rival cities in fits of laughter when he playfully asked them if they had FIGHTS.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 90, made the quip during a visit to Manchester with the Queen on her Diamond Jubilee tour.While chatting to students at the University of Salford, he met one from Liverpool and another from Manchester. Smiling Philip asked: "Do you fight?"
An onlooker said: "At first they weren't sure he was joking, then burst out laughing. "The students loved all the banter. The Duke seemed to enjoy himself as well."

Thankfully, its temporary.
For quite a few years now, the fourth pillar is used for the temporary display of different works of art.

Yes, that is a plus side indeed.

It was an initiative by the artist Anthony Gormley whereby anyone could get up on the plinth for half an hour and do whatever they wanted. This included people dressing up as Godzilla and demolishing a model of London, an activist dressing up in a Nazi uniform and sitting in a wheelchair to protest about rights for the disabled etc etc. All manner of bonkers stuff was put on the plinth.

This is what's currently on the plinth:

Mayor of London presents Fourth Plinth | Elmgreen and Dragset

Of course, this being 'modern art' the whole project ends up costing tax payers hundreds of thousands of pounds every year.

Wow. That's disgusting.

HM is such a lovely woman, imagine secretly planning to meet the bride and groom after declining their invitation. Honestly, she's adorable!

Yes, she definitely is. That was a lovely gesture.

:ROFLMAO: :D Leave it to Philip to provide some laughs.

I understand that Princess Beatrice will accompany her grandparent to the Maundy Thursday services at York Minister. Very nice!

That'll be nice for all involved.

SO EXCITED! My aim of the day is wiggle my way to the front and say Hello to the Queen.

SO EXCITED! My aim of the day is wiggle my way to the front and say Hello to the Queen.

Will you just be able to walk into the Minster without a ticket, or do you need a ticket? Wish I was going to be there. One of my favorite places on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom