Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This probably should be in Diamond Jubilee thread. :)

Bong! Will Big Ben tower be renamed after the Queen?
The tower containing Big Ben should be renamed the Elizabeth Tower in honour of the Queen, senior MPs will say today. They are calling on Parliament’s authorities to recognise the monarch’s 60 years on the throne by mirroring a tribute paid to Queen Victoria. In 1860, the west tower of the Palace of Westminster, originally called The King’s Tower, was renamed the Victoria Tower to commemorate her long reign.
Personally, I think that's a great idea.
The Queen certainly deserves the honour as much as her great ancestress did.

As much as I adore HM, can't they find another landmark to rename for her? What about the Elizabeth Eye instead of the London Eye? :lol: For me, the name Big Ben has always been seared in my consciousness as the most well-known clock in the world, memorialized in print and film.

Last edited:
For BOB-My friend Sophie with her MBE presented to her by HM. the Queen at Windsor Castle:
Investitures Held At Windsor Castle - Pictures - Zimbio

Side note: Sophie has been to a reception at BP with The Queen- she is part of the British Equestrian Paralympic Team for Great Britain...
She is also involved with the DOE Award, so she's met both the DOE and the EOW- She cannot talk about them without laughing, she says they are so funny!:ROFLMAO:;)

Baroness of Books said:
As much as I adore HM, can't they find another landmark to rename for her? What about the Elizabeth Eye instead of the London Eye? :lol: For me, the name Big Ben has always been seared in my consciousness as the most well-known clock in the world. And maybe that's why they want to change the name, who knows.....

I don't believe they want to rename Big Ben (the clock) just the tower it's housed in. Therefore, I wish they would pick something else, too, so that her name would be more prominent....if it is only the tower they rename, I think people would still just say Big Ben.

For BOB-My friend Sophie with her MBE presented to her by HM. the Queen at Windsor Castle:

Side note: Sophie has been to a reception at BP with The Queen- she is part of the British Equestrian Paralympic Team for Great Britain...
She is also involved with the DOE Award, so she's met both the DOE and the EOW- She cannot talk about them without laughing, she says they are so funny!:ROFLMAO:;)
What a great story and such an honor for your friend! Thank you for that.

I don't believe they want to rename Big Ben (the clock) just the tower it's housed in. Therefore, I wish they would pick something else, too, so that her name would be more prominent....if it is only the tower they rename, I think people would still just say Big Ben.

OK, I see, that's my haste in reading when it's getting this late; thanks for clarifying that. All I could see was Big Ben and changing the name. Now carefully rereading the article, I see that the tower is currently named St. Stephen's Tower or the Clock Tower. But all this is still too closely related to Big Ben, and you're right, Windsorgirl, everyone would still associate the tower with Big Ben and still call it as such, instead of the Elizabeth Tower. Hence my mistake, too, in not realizing that the tower has a different name. She deserves a landmark where her name would definitely be predominant.

Last edited:
BOB, I may be mistaken, but I believe, Kirsty also met Princess Diana, at a fundraiser when she was younger!
2 things struck me here- how good that color looks on HM., and how good she seems to be at putting people with disabilities at ease....
But then she's had 60 years of practice....;):)

I think this is a gift for quite a few members of the BRF, and I really do love seeing it in action.

Thanks for that, Rose. It's true that the Queen looks like she's very good at putting people at ease of various ages, walks of life and their particular situations. Here, she looks like she's buttoning up Kirsty's jacket rather than pinning the honor on it. She has such a look of solicitude on her face ("We can't have you getting chilly, dear, BP is such a drafty place"), and Kirsty is just beaming away. I'm sure the Queen was just as delighted to honor a recipient as young and noteworthy as Kirsty as she was to receive that honor.

I agree with what you're saying. Her Majesty has that touch of a loving and doting Granny to her (which of course she is), and I think people are drawn to that. Both women seem to be getting a great deal of joy from their interactions.

What an accomplishment!

Just a side note; while I was reading the article about Kirsty, I noticed her statement that what she does is done out of love and desire to help others. That attitude is great to see. I think when one is using one's own exceptionality to help others, it gives the person and those he/she is helping a great deal in return; the giver is rewarding with watching his/her efforts helping others, and the recipient is able to draw inspiration and strength from someone who has been in similar situations.

Last edited:
Just a note to say that Big Ben is not the tower or the clock. Big Ben is the bell that chimes when the clock strikes the time. So St Stephen's Tower could be renamed the Elizabeth Tower and Big Ben would still retain its nickname.

Heh, the Queen has just started a Sport Relief Mile race in Salford at MediaCityUK, but half the runners didn't actually start running they all rushed up to the front of the podium where the Queen was standing to take pictures of her on their phone. You could see the Queen just standing there as if to say - well go on then, isn't this supposed to be a race?

:previous:That's a cute story; I wonder if HM eventually shooed them back to the starting line!

And I got it straighten out about the Big Ben clock/St. Stephen's Tower names last night, thanks!

Pretty in pink: The Queen looked stylish in pastels on tour in Manchester today... as she came face-to-face with a Dalek
The Queen looked stylish in a beautiful pink outfit as she arrived in Manchester for a day touring the city today. Hundreds of people warmly welcomed the Queen as she officially opened new hospitals in the city, as well as paying a visit to Manchester's new media hub in Salford, MediaCityUK, where she started a fun run with the wave of a flag. The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, arrived in the city by train, disembarking in at Manchester's Victoria Station this morning.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh look amazing.

Last edited:
Great to see Philip look so good, as well as HM. What a lovely couple they make.

Last edited:
This had a beautiful feature on the news today, the reaction to HM and Prince Philip was fantastic.

Lovely images from today, thanks. My friend lives in Manchester and turned up for the occasion and saw HM. I am a bit jealous.

She looks just splended (they both do). Good to see her wearing her prettiest (IMO) unidentified ruby brooch. It's my favorite of the unidentified ruby brooches.

They do look great, don't they? I love Her Majesty's outfit and the brooch. It's delightful to see His Highness out and about. So glad he's feeling better.

Great to see Philip look so good, as well as HM. What a lovely couple they make.

And I'll drink to that :cheers: :D.

Saturday's edition of The Sun newspaper reports that the Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and the leader of the Labour party Ed Miliband, along with Mayor of London Boris Johnston are backing the campaign to rename the tower which houses the Big Ben bell as the Elizabeth Tower.

Looks like this has legs and is likely now to happen. I think it's a fitting tribute to HM. Remember also that the Olympic Park which has been built for this summer's games in London is going to be called the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

Since leaders of all major political parties appear to have come to a consensus, the change is all but certain to take place. Hopefully, it will happen before June.
That'd be a very fitting tribute indeed; one symbol of Britain bearing the name of another. :)

I am not sure how I feel about renaming Big Ben...

Big Ben is the bell inside the clock which is inside St Stephen's Tower. The bell will go on being Big Ben whatever the tower is called, because the tower and Big Ben are 2 completely different things.

And exactly how does St Stephen feel about this? Has anyone bothered to ask? :sad:

Still like the sound of the Elizabeth Eye instead of the London Eye. Maybe it's the alliteration!:lol:

If QEII outlasts Victoria as the longest reigning Monarch she should have an equally long lasting monutment, IMO. Long may she live to reign.

Saturday's edition of The Sun newspaper reports that the Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and the leader of the Labour party Ed Miliband, along with Mayor of London Boris Johnston are backing the campaign to rename the tower which houses the Big Ben bell as the Elizabeth Tower.

Looks like this has legs and is likely now to happen. I think it's a fitting tribute to HM. Remember also that the Olympic Park which has been built for this summer's games in London is going to be called the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

I think this is a lovely gesture. Her Majesty has done a great deal in the past sixty years and deserves such a tribute.

Since leaders of all major political parties appear to have come to a consensus, the change is all but certain to take place. Hopefully, it will happen before June.
That'd be a very fitting tribute indeed; one symbol of Britain bearing the name of another. :)

Indeed.

Last edited:
The London Eye is such an eye sore I hope they leave it as Blairs "Cool Britannia" legacy and avoid linking the Queen to it.

Heck, I think they should erect a prominent monument to HM; she's so deserving of it. Maybe a statue will be commissioned for her like the one of Queen Victoria.

Heck, I think they should erect a prominent monument to HM; she's so deserving of it. Maybe a statue will be commissioned for her like the one of Queen Victoria.

Quite possibly after her death they will put one up near the statues of her parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom