Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoko Ono flies in from New York to watch Queen open Museum of Liverpool | Mail Online

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh traveled up to Liverpool today to officially open a new museum that honours the city. One of the biggest draws of the Museum of Liverpool promises to be the exhibits dedicated to the city's most famous export, The Beatles. John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, also attended the opening.

There was a hush in the main hall as the Queen arrived. She smiled widely as she shook hands with Yoko - who had flown in from New York especially - and the Japanese philanthropist later raved about their meeting. Speaking of the Queen's burgundy wool coat and dress, designed by Karl Ludvig, Yoko said she was struck by how youthful the Queen was looking and was impressed by her choice of colours. She said: 'I was so amazed. That particular colour (burgundy) - it made her look so young, so elegant. 'She is always elegant. It's always nice to meet her.'

The Queen and Duke were given a 50-minute tour of the new building on the city's waterfront, after which the Queen unveiled a plaque commemorating the occasion. Writer Phil Redmond, who is the museum's chairman said: 'She was really interested and got engaged in a lot of things as we walked around.'

Video: 'Youthful' Queen meets Yoko Ono at Museum of Liverpool - Telegraph

Much the same report as the MailOnline.
However, the Telegraph includes a short video showing Yoko Ono meeting HM. Yoko is very deferential.
->
Definitely worth a look! :)

v Here's a screen cap of Yoko Ono making a deep curtsey to HM. Other bobs follow.

Attachments

• Yoko Ono curtsies to HM Nov2011.jpg
    Yoko Ono curtsies to HM Nov2011.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I'm with you, Daria. She always looks so delighted and sincere. I'm sure she gives the children lucky enough to meet her a memory they will carry always.

She is the consummate royal. Able to equally show respect-inspiring grace and dignity at state occasions and sincere joy and delight in situations such as the one in your linked picture.

When we are unsure of how to behave, we should ask ourselves "WWHMD"- What would Her Majesty do? We would never go wrong!

I'm with you one hundred percent. Here's the video of Her Majesty meeting the children. I love how eager they are to talk to her (just like all young children are eager to show off their pictures, etc. to an adult they admire and love), and she's smiling, and not at all uncomfortable. I have a feeling that if given a chance, she'd spend a great deal of time with these kids so that she could give them the attention they deserve. I can only imagine how she is with her own grandchildren (especially the two youngest ones; Lady Louise and her brother James). Probably one very loving grandmother.

The Queen meets schoolchildren in New Brighton, Wirral - YouTube

Wow, Queen Elisabeth in red.
This ist a great colour for her. I like it a lot!!!

I had read that Philip had an extreme reaction about his family not bearing his surname and am not at all surprised by his going ballistic over the news, given his strong and proud personality. And given his well-known temper, it's more than possible that he reduced the Queen to tears (if that story is true). I wonder if he was satisfied by the Mountbatten-Windsor compromise; that basically was the best solution to a very thorny problem.

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of books, biographies and documentaries published about the Queen and Royal Family in this period leading up to the Jubilee. This series should be particularly interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...major-new-BBC-series-The-Art-of-Monarchy.html

P.S. I think Beatrice looks like a dead ringer for the young Victoria in that portrait; just change the hair color!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had read that Philip had an extreme reaction about his family not bearing his surname...
I remember reading about Prince Philip feeling rather indignant about not being able to give his children his name. I can understand his frustration. I can certainly see how something like that would lead to arguments between the two.

The BBC program sounds interesting. I've never seen the painting before, but the photograph I have seen in my multiple books on Queen Victoria's family, as well as in those that deal with the Imperial Family of Russia. Hoping that those of us who are in the States can catch a stream of this over the internet. Thank you for sharing.

Queen Elizabeth during an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, London on December 6:

** Pic **

Queen Elizabeth received the Ambassador of Bahrain, Mrs Alice Thomas Samaan and the Ambassador
of Armenia, Mrs Karine Kazinian (2) at audiences at Buckingham Palace today, December 7,

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

and officially opened the Rolls Building, the latest addition to the Royal Courts of Justice, in London.

** Pic ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

Her Majesty looks lovely as usual. That shade of purple is simply divine.

I'm not crazy about the hat, but I like the asymmetry of the coat's closure and she's wearing one of my favorite colors on her. I wish I could place that brooch, though.

I love this pic, as HM opens a new building at , and takes a tour of The Royal Courts of Justice Dec 7, 2011:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Gallery.aspx
Pic is 3rd row, far right.
Now I have the highest regard for British law, so please excuse what I am about to say. I know it is British tradition for judges to wear wigs, but the sight of HM surrounded by people wearing headpieces that look like mops is priceless!:lol:
Love HM. outfit too!

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth has opened the Dedworth Medical Centre and the Windsor and Royal Borough Museum at The Guildhall in Windsor, Berkshire today, December 9.
A+! Love HM's outfit from head to toe! Love that color on her!

:previous:
Oh my how royal this color is on her majesty- so lovely and regal!

I love this pic, as HM opens a new building at , and takes a tour of The Royal Courts of Justice Dec 7, 2011:
Gallery
Pic is 3rd row, far right.
Now I have the highest regard for British law, so please do not take this the wrong way. I know it is British tradition for judges to wear wigs, but the sight of HM surrounded by people wearing headpieces that look like mops is priceless!:lol:
Love HM. outfit too!

With all due respect for British law, I have to agree with you. It looks a little comical to me as well. Her Majesty does look wonderful. I love the embroidery on the front of her jacket.

The High Commissioner for Mozambique Carlos Dos Santos (1) and the Ambassador of the Philippines
Enrique Manalo (2) have presented their credentials to Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace on
December 13, 2011. The Queen also received Professor Jolanda Roux, recipient of the Queen's Award
for her services to forestry and the President of the Commonwealth Forestry Association James Ball (3).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I'm not sure if this should be posted here, so feel free to move it to the appropriate spot if necessary.

Arthur Edwards on the Royals' annus mirabilis (wonderful year) | The Sun |Features

FOR the Queen and her family, 2011 has been simply the best.

The No1 event was the Royal Wedding, but there have been many other highlights to fill the royal scrapbook.
The year got off to a wonderful start when Her Majesty became a great-grandmother for the first time. And soon after Peter and Autumn Phillips' daughter Savannah arrived, Prince William and his fiancée Kate Middleton were taking centre stage.Their first public engagements together proved Kate was an instant hit. It was the perfect warm-up to the big event in April.Around two billion people around the world tuned in to the Royal Wedding.

The whole family looked so proud standing on that balcony. And I had the privileged position in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace so I got the photos of the couple kissing. To see William with his beautiful bride, so happy and smart in his scarlet uniform, was an absolutely fantastic feeling. I have watched him grow up and he has turned into a fine young man. He is a credit to his country.

When the Queen visited Ireland in May she became the first British monarch to do so in a century. Considering the political sensitivities, it was a momentous occasion. When she went on stage in Dublin she got a standing ovation that lasted five minutes.

The popularity of the monarchy was underlined for me by the Queen and Prince Philip's visit to Australia in October.
In Brisbane the crowds were at least 30 deep and people had been queuing since 6am, fainting in the heat, just to see the Queen.

It has been a fantastic year, but 2012 promises to be even bigger because of the Diamond Jubilee.
The Queen should be in no doubt of how popular she is after this incredible annus mirabilis — wonderful year".
. . . . . . . . . .

I couldn't agree more.

Thank you for the link Daria_S. What a lovely photo of the Queen receiving those flowers from Prince Philip in Perth.

Early gift from Canada to Queen Elizabeth for Diamond Jubilee :royalstandard: :canflag:
Beautiful brooch with 60 diamonds

-pic/brooch - article -

Last edited:
Wow, what a beautiful brooch from the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery! That's just the kind of brooch that HM will love. A truly special expression of admiration and respect.

Wow, what a beautiful brooch from the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery! That's just the kind of brooch that HM will love. A truly special expression of admiration and respect.

I'm thinking that brooch is absolutely gorgeous and will be well worn over the years by HM. It really warms my heart that so many people and regiments and countries are really going all out to try and tell HM how much she is loved and appreciated and cherished.... and its not even 2012 yet.

I agree entirely Osipi. The fact that the Regiment was able to fund such a stunning brooch purely from donations from serving and retired members is evidence of the appreciation you describe.

Early gift from Canada to Queen Elizabeth for Diamond Jubilee :royalstandard: :canflag:
Beautiful brooch with 60 diamonds

-pic/brooch - article -

Thank you for the link :flowers:. What a beautiful and touching gift to commemorate such an occasion. It'll be a wonderful keepsake for Her Majesty and the future generations of Windsors.

I'm thinking that brooch is absolutely gorgeous and will be well worn over the years by HM. It really warms my heart that so many people and regiments and countries are really going all out to try and tell HM how much she is loved and appreciated and cherished.... and its not even 2012 yet.

Beautifully put, EIIR and Osipi.

I love the symbolism of 60 diamonds in this brooch- what a lovely gesture from Canada...

A wonderful tribute from Canada; may you wear it in good health, Your Majesty!

Last edited:

The Duke of Edinburgh as Patron of both the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and the Outward Bound Trust
has held a dinner at Buckingham Palace on December 15. The dinner was arranged by the two youth
charities in recognition of the Duke's patronage and support for over 50 years.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom