Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke of Edinburgh will be inaugurated as Lord High Admiral on the 23rd November, does this follow the announcement made during his birthday week?

Queen Elizabeth has received the High Commissioner for Singapore Thambynathan Jasudasen and
the Ambassador of Denmark Anne Hedensted Steffense during audiences at Buckingham Palace on
November 9, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Such a nice smilling between the Queen and the ambassador of Denmark. But why is the ambassador wearing an hat and gloves and the Queen herself isn't wearing none?
BTW I like the Queen's dress.

The Queen isn't wearing gloves, that's strange to me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought that too and then tried to remember if I have seen her receive anyone else without gloves. Perhaps she has and I just have never noticed.

Her smile is always so genuine. It does make me happy that Lady Louise is going to grow up looking so much like her.

I thought that too and then tried to remember if I have seen her receive anyone else without gloves. Perhaps she has and I just have never noticed.

Her smile is always so genuine. It does make me happy that Lady Louise is going to grow up looking so much like her.

I completely agree with you about Her Majesty's smile. It's always very genuine and contagious.

Now that I think of it, I don't think she wears gloves when she's "at home." to confirm my impression, I just did a quick search of investitures and receiving ambassadors, and she's not wearing gloves in any of the pictures. So I guess it's a myth that HM never shakes hands without her gloves.:flowers: She does wear evening gloves at banquets, though.

Last edited:
Now that I think of it, I don't think she wears gloves when she's "at home." to confirm my impression, I just did a quick search of investitures and receiving ambassadors, and she's not wearing gloves in any of the pictures. So I guess it's a myth that HM never shakes hands without her gloves.:flowers: She does wear evening gloves at banquets, though.

I suspect the answer lies in how many people HM is expecting to meet. If it is just 2-3 people like when she is receiving new Ambassadors, she probably does not wear gloves. If she is hosting a banquet and expects to meet quite a few people, then I suspect she will wear gloves.

Queen Elizabeth has made a visit to Goodenough College to celebrate its 80th anniversary
on November 10, 2011 in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

Together with the Duke of Edinburgh she also opened the exhibition "Royal Manuscripts: the Genius of
Illumination" at the British Library in London today. The British Library is exhibiting a unique collection
of medieval and Renaissance illuminated manuscripts, collected by the kings and queens of England
over 800 years.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **

Last edited:
She may have one on her dress underneath her coat.

The Queen never wears her poppies except at the Festival of Remembrance, which is this evening, and at Remembrance Sunday itself. I really have no idea why this is the case.

Queen Elizabeth attended an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace and received Corp
Ben Robert-Smith from Australia, who was recently awarded the VC, during an audience on
November 15, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

And she received King Abdullah II of Jordan today!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
What has happened to the State Opening of Parliament which is usually about this time of year? And also I couldn't seem to find the thread for this occasion to post this question- or am I just having a bad day?

^^ ah ah the 3rd pic is so funny. He makes the queen look like a child

What has happened to the State Opening of Parliament which is usually about this time of year? And also I couldn't seem to find the thread for this occasion to post this question- or am I just having a bad day?

It was noted in the thread last year that the next State Opening of Parliament would occur in Spring 2012.

The thread is located further down the page. :flowers:

:previous:If I paid that much for a custom Launer handbag, I'd carry it everywhere, too. I'd probably sleep with it as well.

Oh lord, how I would love one of those bags...

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh attended a reception and dinner to commemorate the
70th anniversary of The Council of Christians and Jews held at Crosby Hall, London, November 15.

** zimbio gallery **

Thanks for the pics iceflower. I know the Queen is very well respected by the Jewish community in the UK. Which makes it so disappointing that Israel remains one of the very few nations on the planet that HMQ has not visited. Perhaps now that she's visited Ireland for the first time a visit to Israel is something the Foreign Office could look at?

It was noted in the thread last year that the next State Opening of Parliament would occur in Spring 2012.

The thread is located further down the page. :flowers:
Thank you ( I was looking in the general British threads) oh well that means a longer wait for another sight of all that pomp & royal regalia.

On another note, the Queen shows no signs of easing down her schedule judging by recent engagements. She looks well on it too & never less than immaculate in her dress & demeanour -with or without gloves.

:previous:If I paid that much for a custom Launer handbag, I'd carry it everywhere, too. I'd probably sleep with it as well.

Oh lord, how I would love one of those bags...

Me too, Thena! HM carries the "Royale" style. If I could choose, I'd prefer the "Nocturne." HOWEVER, if I could have any piece of Launer, I wouldn't be fussy. Their work is just out-of-this world.

Wow, the Queen's make up is weird, she looks so pale

Thanks for the pics iceflower. I know the Queen is very well respected by the Jewish community in the UK. Which makes it so disappointing that Israel remains one of the very few nations on the planet that HMQ has not visited. Perhaps now that she's visited Ireland for the first time a visit to Israel is something the Foreign Office could look at?
Perhaps you should write to the Israeli government as I believe they have to extend an invitation before any state visit will happen. They may not be interesting in receiving the British monarch. Philip I believe has visited privately to see his mothers grave.

Perhaps you should write to the Israeli government as I believe they have to extend an invitation before any state visit will happen. They may not be interesting in receiving the British monarch. Philip I believe has visited privately to see his mothers grave.

I've done some reading on this subject elsewhere and the gist I got from those who are 'in the know' was that it was very much a case of the British government not being willing to sign off on such a visit. I have no doubt that the Israeli government would be extremely willing to host the Queen but the suggestion was that there was a group of senior civil service mandarins whose sympathies lie with the Palestinian side to such an extent that allowing the Queen to visit Israel would be to somehow indicate approval for the actions of the Israeli government. I have to say that I think, if true, this is a very sad situation.

Queen Elizabeth has met with the High Commissioner of Sri Lanka Dr Chris Nonis and the
Ambassador of Israel Mr Daniel Taub during private audiences at Buckingham Palace on
November 17, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Anybody here who can help me, im looking for the wedding golden speech that Queen Elizabeth gave in 1997:) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom