Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex,

Your posts are always an interesting read. I'm learning so much. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

I wonder why the Queen has apparently stopped visiting, and meeting publicly, the visiting cricket teams each summer.

It used to be during the Lords test/s but she didn't appear to attend either of them this year, which is particularly sad given the significance of the one just finished - 2000 test in history and the 100th between England and India.

I know she went in 2009 to the Ashes test but it seems to have disappeared from her calendar for the last 2 years.

As cricket is supposed to be the summer sport in England (something I doubt from the coverage given in the press by the way) I would have thought that some member of the family could attend at least one day of such a significant milestone at the Headquarters of the game.

The Duke of Edinburgh as Colonel-in-Chief of The Queen's Royal Hussars has visited British
troops in Paderborn, Germany on July 29, 2011. The Queen's Royal Hussars, a unit of the
20th brigade, will leave in autumn 2011 for Afghanistan to stay there for six months.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery ** gallery 2 **

Nice, informal scenes - I like the Duke like that.
Pity the baby had to scream :))

:previous:

Thought so as well :) And I really like the third pic, a very personal gesture and a warm smile..

Here are some more pics, click on the small version to enlarge:

** Prinz Philip in Paderborn **

Will Phillip be at the wedding tomorrow? He sure has a heck of a schedule for a 90 year old man...

Last edited:

The Duke of Edinburgh as Colonel-in-Chief of The Queen's Royal Hussars has visited British
troops in Paderborn, Germany on July 29, 2011. The Queen's Royal Hussars, a unit of the
20th brigade, will leave in autumn 2011 for Afghanistan to stay there for six months.

** ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** **
Pic 2- Grandaddy Phillip- adorable!
Pic 3- Jolly caring Phillip saying well done to the good lad.
:flowers:
I would like to see more of this side of him...

:previous: Well it has always been there but the media prefer the "Grumpy Old Man with terminal Foot-in-Mouth" that they created a couple or three decades ago! :bang:

Will Phillip be at the wedding tomorrow? He sure has a heck of a schedule for a 90 year old man...

Do you really think there is any chance at all that Philip will miss the wedding of his eldest granddaughter and the only daughter of his own beloved daughter?

He would have to be on his death-bed I believe to miss this wedding.

:previous: If he was on his deathbed, like as not he'd make them cart it to the church! ;)

Do you really think there is any chance at all that Philip will miss the wedding of his eldest granddaughter and the only daughter of his own beloved daughter?

He would have to be on his death-bed I believe to miss this wedding.
No, not really. I was just amazed at his energy and stamina. Doing engagements in Germany, flying back from Germany, and attending a wedding?
I thought it would be too much for him.
Guess I should know better by now...;)
While we are on this subject, I once heard a newsperson complain about how slowly Prince Phillip got in and out of a car.
I thought to myself- " I am impressed that he goes out and about at all, and that his staff do not have to carry him to and from the car.":lol: Which we may see at some point... either that, or a limo with a wheelchair lift, because he will not stop working till he is dead.

Last edited:
There is a German voiceover for the Paderborn visit.
Haven't noticed that before...

Here in the UK, they tried to get rid of cheques.
However, there was an outcry, mainly from elderly persons who prefer writing cheques.
The charity Age UK managed to have the cheques re-instated.

Queen Elizabeth inspected the Royal Guard from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion,
The Royal Regiment of Scotland at Balmoral Castle on August 8.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Her Majesty looks great, as always. Love the different shades of blue she's wearing.

Been waiting for that picture - now we know she's really arrived in Caledonia...

She looks outstanding! The Scotsmen are pretty fine looking too.

Queen Elizabeth inspected the Royal Guard from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion,
The Royal Regiment of Scotland at Balmoral Castle on August 8.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Queen looks very stylish. She must have a team of stylists.

What on earth is Prince Phillip doing in that pic? I sense an " Oh Phillip" moment on my radar screen! LOL!

What on earth is Prince Phillip doing in that pic? I sense an " Oh Phillip" moment on my radar screen! LOL!

I'm going to guess he's trying to open an umbrella (hopefully I'm looking at the right picture and seeing the same thing as you :lol:). Or maybe he's trying to use the umbrella as a sword ? :D It is Philip, after all.

LOL !! Good old Phil ..... we all love him for his faux-pas. He's really coming into his own at last.
He used to be seen as an irritant, but that's all gone...

Any news?

There have been no public 'sightings' of HM since Zara's wedding. Looking back at past threads, it seems that she usually undertakes an occasional engagement while at Balmoral. Is it possible that she is recuperating from the previously discussed knee surgery? Or has she been out and about and I've overlooked reports?

No, no news. Maybe she did have surgery... At first I thought the lack of news and public engagements was due to security concerns after the riots, but the Wales and Cambridges have been sercure so why not the monarch?
Any other time she's had an op, she recoverd at Balmoral, that seems most likely, if she was able, I would think she would want to lend support to the victims of the riots...
And then there is the option, that she simply has no engagements in her diary. I say good for her.... she is 84 after all, and deserves a break.
But I don't know for sure why she has not been out and about... no news as I say!

Last year's Court Circular for August had the Queen attending Divine Service at Crathie Church on three occasions, formally farewelling one equerry and formally being welcomed to Balmoral. The Court Circular also announced that she had made a new appointment.

5 engagements and one formal announcement in a month.

This year she has also attened Divine Service once so far and been received at Balmoral - so in half the month she has had 2 engagements and much the same ones as last year - church and formally being received at Balmoral.

Even in September last year she only did two things according to the Court Circular - attended Church and farewelled the Scottish First Minister when they left Balmoral.

So officially she does seem to be doing much the same as past years - having a holiday.

When we usually see her is at the Braemar Games and that isn't for a few more weeks.

If she did have surgery, I wish her well. Seems like she's been out and about a lot with the weddings, needs a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom