The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Oh, I have no doubt that there's plenty of...fuel for the furnace. The way he looks at his wife at times says it all. There's a sort of reverence there, and it's so touching to watch. He is not just in love with his wife, but he has tremendous respect for her as well.
You mean like this.....
Prince Philip Pictures - Queen Elizabeth II's Historic Visit To Ireland - Day Three - Zimbio

Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, arrive at Chester Zoo as part of the Queen's tour of the North West on May 17, 2012 in Chester, England. Her Majesty also got to ride the 'Yellow Duckmarine' boat in Salthouse Dock in Liverpool, north-west England, on May 17, 2012.

- Queen Elizabeth
- Queen Elizabeth in Liverpool
- Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh

- The Queen sailing in the Yellow Duckmarine
- ... and riding in one (it's an amphibious vehicle)

- The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh at Chester Zoo
- The Queen and Prince Philip watch a dance troupe at Chester Zoo

Gallery from Getty
Gallery 1 from Daylfie
Gallery 2 from Daylife

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It's not quite the QE2! Queen and Prince Philip look a touch out of place as they brave Mersey cruise on amphibious duck boat for Diamond Jubilee visit
Quote:
The Queen today showed her taste for adventure as she tried out one of Liverpool's most popular tourist attractions - an amphibious boat that can travel on both land and water. Along with the Duke of Edinburgh, the monarch stepped gingerly on to the bright yellow duck boat, waving a shade uncertainly as it sailed off down the Mersey. If she felt out of place on board the unusual contraption, the Queen tried not to show it, smiling graciously from the window as if she were on board the QE2, rather than pootling along on what some commented looked suspiciously like a floating skip.

Queen visits zoo on Jubilee tour
Quote:
The Queen has come face-to-face with a rhinoceros as her Diamond Jubilee tour continued. The encounter came as the monarch was making her first visit to Chester Zoo in Cheshire. She was accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh as part of their visit to the North West which began in Lancashire on Wednesday.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth II Boat Ride Takes Royals To Burnley (PHOTOS)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
Oh, that's exactly it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, arrive at Chester Zoo as part of the Queen's tour of the North West on May 17, 2012 in Chester, England. Her Majesty also got to ride the 'Yellow Duckmarine' boat in Salthouse Dock in Liverpool, north-west England, on May 17, 2012.

- Queen Elizabeth
- Queen Elizabeth in Liverpool
- Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh

- The Queen sailing in the Yellow Duckmarine
- ... and riding in one (it's an amphibious vehicle)

- The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh at Chester Zoo
- The Queen and Prince Philip watch a dance troupe at Chester Zoo

Gallery from Getty
Gallery 1 from Daylfie
Gallery 2 from Daylife
What lovely pictures! Her Majesty and His Highness appeared to be enjoying themselves.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The day the Queen threw a tantrum and tipped a pot of ink over her own head
Quote:
Throughout the Queen’s long reign there has only ever been one intimate account of her early life – written by her governess Marion Crawford in 1950 and now reissued to mark the Diamond Jubilee. In the first part of our serialisation, Crawfie, as the Queen called her, recalls her first meeting with her five-year-old charge, when her father — the future George VI — was still Duke of York...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Majesty

How interesting! I love the bit about her 'driving around the park to exercise the horses' while in bed. Her Majesty was such a creative, spunky and intelligent little girl.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

What a wonderful story. To think that Elizabeth was a typical child other than being a princess. It seems her life was rather dull until Crawfie came into her life. What it must have been like to tend to these two naughty little girls. How fun and funny it must have been to witness the antics of these two. Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret fist fighting? Priceless! :)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I find it sad that the Queen and Margaret weren't given the opportunity to go to school. I know it would probably have been an exclusive fee paying school, but I get the feeling that the princesses didn't really have much interaction with children from different backgrounds, or any children at all really. They must have been so close as children.

Maybe I'm seeing only what I want to see, but even at such a young age you could see that the Queen was made for her future role. She had all the qualities you would want in a future Queen. You can clearly see why George V hoped that she would eventually end up on the throne.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family rejected Marion Crawford for these charming memoirs about the young children and ostracized her from their lives. Till this day, the term "doing a Crawfie" referred to leaking information and other such acts of personal betrayal against the family. Here's a story about it:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...en-royal-nanny
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well she betrayed their trust. However nice the memoirs are, they were private moments in the Yorks' life and in publishing a book about them Crawfie essentially invaded their privacy for personal gain.

I think the family felt let down by her, understandably. The royals are surrounded by staff so much that they need to be able to trust their closest employees. Otherwise they spend their life worrying about being overheard and whether the people around them are going to leak private information to the press. They can never truly relax. Unfortunately, Crawfie started a a bit of a trend which reached its obvious conclusion - former servants writing 'tell all' books and profiting as a result of betraying the trust the RF put in them.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Who would have thought at the time what disastrous ramifications a sweet and supposedly innocuous memoir would have had; this is why everyone who works for the RF has to sign confidentiality agreements not to divulge anything about them. But inevitably, scandals and information always get revealed.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree. No doubt Crawfie had nothing but good intentions (along with monetary ones) when she wrote the book.

I think the confidentiality agreements are pretty watertight, but all any staff member has to do is get in touch with a journalist and give them the scoop with the condition that their identity not be revealed. That's how we get all the articles quoting 'a trusted courtier' or a 'well informed aide'.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness

After reading the story about crawford, I am left wondering how much blame could possibly be put upon her husband. It seems he is the one who kept pushing her into doing it. I cant lay all the blame on her. Of course people can say no but when someone is told after all you gave up and your years of service you deserve some money, you would start throwing the thought back and forth until in the end you would think that maybe it wouldnt be so bad. I think thats what happened. I dont think she thought that there would be any harm in sharing her experiences. I rather feel sorry for her. I dont think she was a malicious person or had any intention of hurting the family. Just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt very much she wrote with any motive in mind other than to reminisce about her experiences with the royal children and didn't want to harm the family. Naturally, monetary remuneration would come into play with the writing of this book and I'm sure her husband played a major role in convincing her to do so, but she did attempt suicide several times and finally died isolated after society ostracized her. I wonder if she thought it worth it in the end. A sad story for her as well.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Majesty

Another installment from Mrs. Crawford's book. Her Majesty was a very serious and considerate child, especially towards her little sister. It was so touching to read how she made sure that things such as battles weren't discussed in front of Margaret, so that the little girl won't be too upset and anxious. The life in Buckingham Palace was certainly no picnic. I can now understand why many royals are not ver fond of that place. It does indeed sound too big and impersonal. Also, I did love the mention of the antics of Her Majesty's corgi, Doogie, who 'loved the taste of trousers'. I'd imagine the life with the family of George VI (nee Yorks) was never, ever dull.

Diamond Jubilee: Playing in the castle dungeons as the Nazi bombs fell, Elizabeth the panto princess | Mail Online

Old 05-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Majesty

Another installment from Crawford's book. This one is dealing with Princess Elizabeth's courtship with Prince Philip. I do love the fact that they saw a Broadway show together (even if it was 'Oklahoma!'), and that the song that reminded Princess Elizabeth of her love was a showtune. Again, we see that the future Queen was a kind individual, and modest one as well. She wasn't used to getting so many gifts, and when she received more than she felt she needed in honor of her wedding, she shared it with her beloved governess.

Queen Elizabeth II: How Her Majesty lost her heart slow dancing to a show tune from Oklahoma! | Mail Online

Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth has presented artist David Hockney with the Order of Merit and has received the Ambassador
of Angola Mr Miguel Fernandes Neto at Buckingham Palace today, May 22, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Serene Highness

HM looks lovely in those pictures. I must say that I much prefer her in the solid colors as opposed to the wild flowered prints she sometimes wear.

Closed Thread