The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Manchester welcomes the Queen for Jubilee celebrations - hellomagazine.com

Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Pretty in pink: The Queen looked stylish in pastels on tour in Manchester today... as she came face-to-face with a Dalek
Quote:
The Queen looked stylish in a beautiful pink outfit as she arrived in Manchester for a day touring the city today. Hundreds of people warmly welcomed the Queen as she officially opened new hospitals in the city, as well as paying a visit to Manchester's new media hub in Salford, MediaCityUK, where she started a fun run with the wave of a flag. The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, arrived in the city by train, disembarking in at Manchester's Victoria Station this morning.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh look amazing.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Great to see Philip look so good, as well as HM. What a lovely couple they make.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This had a beautiful feature on the news today, the reaction to HM and Prince Philip was fantastic.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely images from today, thanks. My friend lives in Manchester and turned up for the occasion and saw HM. I am a bit jealous.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

She looks just splended (they both do). Good to see her wearing her prettiest (IMO) unidentified ruby brooch. It's my favorite of the unidentified ruby brooches.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Majesty

They do look great, don't they? I love Her Majesty's outfit and the brooch. It's delightful to see His Highness out and about. So glad he's feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Great to see Philip look so good, as well as HM. What a lovely couple they make.
And I'll drink to that .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Saturday's edition of The Sun newspaper reports that the Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and the leader of the Labour party Ed Miliband, along with Mayor of London Boris Johnston are backing the campaign to rename the tower which houses the Big Ben bell as the Elizabeth Tower.

Looks like this has legs and is likely now to happen. I think it's a fitting tribute to HM. Remember also that the Olympic Park which has been built for this summer's games in London is going to be called the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Since leaders of all major political parties appear to have come to a consensus, the change is all but certain to take place. Hopefully, it will happen before June.
That'd be a very fitting tribute indeed; one symbol of Britain bearing the name of another.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I am not sure how I feel about renaming Big Ben...
Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Big Ben is the bell inside the clock which is inside St Stephen's Tower. The bell will go on being Big Ben whatever the tower is called, because the tower and Big Ben are 2 completely different things.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

here is the article
MPs bid to rename landmark after Queen for Diamond Jubilee | The Sun |News|Politics
I think that would be a very lovely gesture
Old 03-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

And exactly how does St Stephen feel about this? Has anyone bothered to ask?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Still like the sound of the Elizabeth Eye instead of the London Eye. Maybe it's the alliteration!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

If QEII outlasts Victoria as the longest reigning Monarch she should have an equally long lasting monutment, IMO. Long may she live to reign.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Saturday's edition of The Sun newspaper reports that the Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and the leader of the Labour party Ed Miliband, along with Mayor of London Boris Johnston are backing the campaign to rename the tower which houses the Big Ben bell as the Elizabeth Tower.

Looks like this has legs and is likely now to happen. I think it's a fitting tribute to HM. Remember also that the Olympic Park which has been built for this summer's games in London is going to be called the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
I think this is a lovely gesture. Her Majesty has done a great deal in the past sixty years and deserves such a tribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Since leaders of all major political parties appear to have come to a consensus, the change is all but certain to take place. Hopefully, it will happen before June.
That'd be a very fitting tribute indeed; one symbol of Britain bearing the name of another.
Indeed.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent

The London Eye is such an eye sore I hope they leave it as Blairs "Cool Britannia" legacy and avoid linking the Queen to it.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Heck, I think they should erect a prominent monument to HM; she's so deserving of it. Maybe a statue will be commissioned for her like the one of Queen Victoria.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Heck, I think they should erect a prominent monument to HM; she's so deserving of it. Maybe a statue will be commissioned for her like the one of Queen Victoria.
Quite possibly after her death they will put one up near the statues of her parents.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Fourth plinth is reserved for the Queen - News - Art - The Independent

"The fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square is being kept free for a statue of the Queen riding a horse which will be commissioned after she dies, say senior officials."

Closed Thread