The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth attended an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace today, March 22, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm really interested in the recipients here. Does anyone know who they are?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

The 2nd picture is Geoffrey Ashe. He's an historian and author, writing several books on the legend of King Arthur.

I'm afraid I don't know who the 1st person is.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you! Now the young lady intrigues me in her sneakers and what looks like a crutch at her side.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Commoner

The woman in the first picture is Kirsty Ashton

Inspirational fundraiser Kirsty Ashton, 21, awarded MBE in New Year Honours | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk
"Brave Kirsty Ashton, who has defied her own crippling illness to raise nearly £100,000 for sick children, has been honoured by the Queen. Kirsty joined a glittering list of celebrities on the New Year Honour's list after scooping an MBE aged just 21. She suffers from neurofibramatosis – meaning painful tumours grow on her back and must be removed several times a year."
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for that information, Thain. What an incredible story. She's a brave young lady indeed to go through such horrific battles with her condition and yet be determined enough to raise money and bring awareness to life-threatening illnesses.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

BOB, I may be mistaken, but I believe, Kirsty also met Princess Diana, at a fundraiser when she was younger!
2 things struck me here- how good that color looks on HM., and how good she seems to be at putting people with disabilities at ease....
But then she's had 60 years of practice....
Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for that, Rose. It's true that the Queen looks like she's very good at putting people at ease of various ages, walks of life and their particular situations. Here, she looks like she's buttoning up Kirsty's jacket rather than pinning the honor on it. She has such a look of solicitude on her face ("We can't have you getting chilly, dear, BP is such a drafty place"), and Kirsty is just beaming away. I'm sure the Queen was just as delighted to honor a recipient as young and noteworthy as Kirsty as she was to receive that honor.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Heir Apparent

BOB, turns out this Kirsty and the Kirsty who met Princess Diana are 2 different Kirstys!
The one that met Princess Di is-
Kirsty Howard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agree about the Queen! It seems all the BRF are good at that.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

What an amazing girl. Thank you for the link, Roseroyal.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

This probably should be in Diamond Jubilee thread.

Bong! Will Big Ben tower be renamed after the Queen?
Quote:
The tower containing Big Ben should be renamed the Elizabeth Tower in honour of the Queen, senior MPs will say today. They are calling on Parliament’s authorities to recognise the monarch’s 60 years on the throne by mirroring a tribute paid to Queen Victoria. In 1860, the west tower of the Palace of Westminster, originally called The King’s Tower, was renamed the Victoria Tower to commemorate her long reign.
Personally, I think that's a great idea.
The Queen certainly deserves the honour as much as her great ancestress did.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

As much as I adore HM, can't they find another landmark to rename for her? What about the Elizabeth Eye instead of the London Eye? For me, the name Big Ben has always been seared in my consciousness as the most well-known clock in the world, memorialized in print and film.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Heir Apparent

For BOB-My friend Sophie with her MBE presented to her by HM. the Queen at Windsor Castle:
Investitures Held At Windsor Castle - Pictures - Zimbio

Side note: Sophie has been to a reception at BP with The Queen- she is part of the British Equestrian Paralympic Team for Great Britain...
She is also involved with the DOE Award, so she's met both the DOE and the EOW- She cannot talk about them without laughing, she says they are so funny!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books
As much as I adore HM, can't they find another landmark to rename for her? What about the Elizabeth Eye instead of the London Eye? For me, the name Big Ben has always been seared in my consciousness as the most well-known clock in the world. And maybe that's why they want to change the name, who knows.....
I don't believe they want to rename Big Ben (the clock) just the tower it's housed in. Therefore, I wish they would pick something else, too, so that her name would be more prominent....if it is only the tower they rename, I think people would still just say Big Ben.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
For BOB-My friend Sophie with her MBE presented to her by HM. the Queen at Windsor Castle:

Side note: Sophie has been to a reception at BP with The Queen- she is part of the British Equestrian Paralympic Team for Great Britain...
She is also involved with the DOE Award, so she's met both the DOE and the EOW- She cannot talk about them without laughing, she says they are so funny!
What a great story and such an honor for your friend! Thank you for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
I don't believe they want to rename Big Ben (the clock) just the tower it's housed in. Therefore, I wish they would pick something else, too, so that her name would be more prominent....if it is only the tower they rename, I think people would still just say Big Ben.
OK, I see, that's my haste in reading when it's getting this late; thanks for clarifying that. All I could see was Big Ben and changing the name. Now carefully rereading the article, I see that the tower is currently named St. Stephen's Tower or the Clock Tower. But all this is still too closely related to Big Ben, and you're right, Windsorgirl, everyone would still associate the tower with Big Ben and still call it as such, instead of the Elizabeth Tower. Hence my mistake, too, in not realizing that the tower has a different name. She deserves a landmark where her name would definitely be predominant.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
BOB, I may be mistaken, but I believe, Kirsty also met Princess Diana, at a fundraiser when she was younger!
2 things struck me here- how good that color looks on HM., and how good she seems to be at putting people with disabilities at ease....
But then she's had 60 years of practice....
I think this is a gift for quite a few members of the BRF, and I really do love seeing it in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Thanks for that, Rose. It's true that the Queen looks like she's very good at putting people at ease of various ages, walks of life and their particular situations. Here, she looks like she's buttoning up Kirsty's jacket rather than pinning the honor on it. She has such a look of solicitude on her face ("We can't have you getting chilly, dear, BP is such a drafty place"), and Kirsty is just beaming away. I'm sure the Queen was just as delighted to honor a recipient as young and noteworthy as Kirsty as she was to receive that honor.
I agree with what you're saying. Her Majesty has that touch of a loving and doting Granny to her (which of course she is), and I think people are drawn to that. Both women seem to be getting a great deal of joy from their interactions.

Quote:

What an accomplishment!

Just a side note; while I was reading the article about Kirsty, I noticed her statement that what she does is done out of love and desire to help others. That attitude is great to see. I think when one is using one's own exceptionality to help others, it gives the person and those he/she is helping a great deal in return; the giver is rewarding with watching his/her efforts helping others, and the recipient is able to draw inspiration and strength from someone who has been in similar situations.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Administrator

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are in Manchester today, March 23, 2012.

They'll open the Central Manchester University Hospitals, the MediaCityUK and BBC Media
City as well as Manchester Central. They'll also have lunch at Manchester Town Hall.

The link will be updated during the day, but the first pics are already lovely:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/reuters/daylife gallery **

** menmedia.co.uk: Live: The Queen and Prince Philip visit Manchester and Salford **
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just a note to say that Big Ben is not the tower or the clock. Big Ben is the bell that chimes when the clock strikes the time. So St Stephen's Tower could be renamed the Elizabeth Tower and Big Ben would still retain its nickname.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Heh, the Queen has just started a Sport Relief Mile race in Salford at MediaCityUK, but half the runners didn't actually start running they all rushed up to the front of the podium where the Queen was standing to take pictures of her on their phone. You could see the Queen just standing there as if to say - well go on then, isn't this supposed to be a race?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

That's a cute story; I wonder if HM eventually shooed them back to the starting line!

And I got it straighten out about the Big Ben clock/St. Stephen's Tower names last night, thanks!