The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Press View Of The Royal Collection In The Queen's Gallery
Getty Images - Search: GBR: Press View Of The Royal Collection In The Queen's Gallery#

Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a hard time imagining an 85 year old woman asking for fashion advice from a 30 year old woman, especially since The Queen has her own inhouse designer. I don`t doubt that HM takes a casual interest in what Catherine wears as part of her official work but that is different than taking advice.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Serene Highness

I would assume that the queen has a say as to what she will wear and the accessories that go along with the outfit. I would think she approves of what Catherine wears but has no interest in wearing something that is out of her comfort zone. Although she has surprised every now and then. I think she would stick to what she likes unless its a new hat that had a new twist to it. :)
Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

In connection with the Jubilee: Chelmsford becomes first city in Essex after winning Diamond Jubilee contest | Mail Online
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth attended an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace today, March 14, 2012.

** Pic **
Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Serene Highness

So who is the woman receiving from the Queen? Someone famous?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Not somebody I recognise as being "famous". This person receiving their honour could be an ordinary everyday person who has done something exceptional to be recognised by The Queen. People who are involved in the investitures are not always famous.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
The lady in the picture is Shirley Woodman. Mrs. Woodman received her MBE for services to the community in Yorkshire.
She is not a celebrity in the conventional sence of the would, although she is certainly a most admirable and courageous lady, and one who deserved the award much more than most of the celebrities who get it.

You can read more about her, and the reason she was awarded MBE, in this article.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip arrive for the official reopening of Kensington Palace on March 15, 2012 in London, England. After a GBP 12 million refurbishment, he historic royal palace will reopen to the public on March 26, and later in the year will become home to Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh also met with representatives of charity Age Concern, as well as with children from St Mary's Abbots School.

Gallery from Zimbio
Gallery from Getty
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Majesty

I wonder, what could have possibly captured Her Majesty's attention in picture number two? Her smile in the third photo is extremely gentle and grandmotherly.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Kate and William's family home ready after 12 million make-over
William and Kate: The Queen reopens Kensington Palace, their London residence. - hellomagazine.com
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Nobility

I found this article, quite interesting

60 curious facts about Queen Elizabeth II - Royalty - NZ Herald News
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting list, Martina, thanks for posting. I'd love to be a fly on the wall regarding #28; it seems Prince Phillip isn't the only one with a temper in that marriage!

I'd like to add two more facts to the list. Not only can HM drive, but she probably knows what goes on under a hood (or bonnet), having trained during World War II as a car mechanic in the Auxiliary Territorial Service. And she's also quite an excellent mimic, usually entertaining close family and friends with her ace impressions of the current figures of the day.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

Great list ^^^. I think it's great she's an Ali G fan and likes those who impersonate him. What a woman!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Interesting list, Martina, thanks for posting. I'd love to be a fly on the wall regarding #28; it seems Prince Phillip isn't the only one with a temper in that marriage!

I'd like to add two more facts to the list. Not only can HM drive, but she probably knows what goes on under a hood (or bonnet), having trained during World War II as a car mechanic in the Auxiliary Territorial Service. And she's also quite an excellent mimic, usually entertaining close family and friends with her ace impressions of the current figures of the day.
I remember laughing out loud when I read that story in one of the DM articles that dealt with 'Our Queen'. I have a feeling her temper is probably equal to that of her husband if and when the occasion calls for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Great list ^^^. I think it's great she's an Ali G fan and likes those who impersonate him. What a woman!
She strikes me as someone with a sense of humor, so I can only imagine how amused she is at things like that.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Wanted: A butler for the Queen. Must be discreet and able to carry a breakfast tray. Salary: 15,000 | Mail Online

What are they thinking - what kind of person would be able to have a life on this kind of salary IN LONDON!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Wanted: A butler for the Queen. Must be discreet and able to carry a breakfast tray. Salary: 15,000 | Mail Online

What are they thinking - what kind of person would be able to have a life on this kind of salary IN LONDON!
The kind that's being given free room and board in London's most expensive postcode. The amount of money the successful applicant will save by not having to pay rent, council tax, commuting expenses, food bills etc. etc. would be worth at least 10k per year as a very conservative estimate.

That's before you take into account the fact that being able to put 'Butler to HM the Queen at Buckingham Palace' on one's CV will guarantee the holder jobs for life when they leave HM's employ.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

Where does my husband sign up? What an opportunity and how exciting. I think the benefits outway the amount paid for the reasons given by EIIR. It would be a privilage. :)
Old 03-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

The way I understand it, this is ALL profit. The employees, room and board expenses are covered, and according to the article, "very generous". So being able to put the palace on your resume, it says that this type of position could "command 100,000 pounds in the private sector". So its short term loss for long time gain, imo.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe that the Queen employs rather a lot of young people from the Commonwealth. It makes sense when you think about it - spend a year, say, living and working in Buckingham Palace close to all of London's amenities and Continental Europe for your time off. Add on the cache of being able to say you worked for the Queen, it's a win win. Certainly beats what most young people from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa end up doing when they come over here - pulling pints in a pub.

Closed Thread