Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Television and radio schedule for the Queen's Christmas Message:

Television

Australia

• 7:20 PM local time - ABC1
  • 11:30 PM local time - Nine

Canada

• 9:00 AM Pacific; 10:00 AM Mountain; 11:00 AM Central; Noon Eastern; 1:00 PM Atlantic; 1:30 PM Newfoundland - CBC News Channel
  • Each local CBC and CTV station appears to have its own plan. Check your local listings. Most that I've checked are airing the speech at noon local time.

New Zealand

• 19:00 NZDT - TV One

United Kingdom

• 15:00 GMT - BBC1 and ITV1

United States

Nothing known yet, but C-SPAN doesn't have its Christmas day schedule online yet. They usually show it sometime between 10:00 and 2:00 on C-SPAN 1 or 2.

Radio

Canada

• Most CBC radio stations appear to be broadcasting the speech at 11:50 AM local time.

United Kingdom

• 15:00 GMT - BBC Radio 4

Queen Elizabeth II poses for a photo during the recording of her Christmas Day
Speech to the Commonwealth, in the Chapel Royal at Hampton Court Palace,
December 2010 in London.

** Pic **

Thank you wbenson for the listings. I checked CBC and my listings has tomorrow's Christmas message scheduled to air from 12:00-12:10pm as you mentioned :) CBC newsworld showed behind the scenes footage of the Queen recording the message.

Where do we find the annual pictures from their church walkabout??

Hey Zonk, is there a Youtube or some other medium that this Yank can find the Queen's Christmas address? THANKS! :flowers:

As usual I sat with my glass of sherry with family and friends to watch the Queen's Christmas Day Message and as usual (at least for the last few years) I have felt disappointed that she actually spoke for a total of just a few minutes. These days, the format is just as staged if not more so than if she were sitting at her desk in her own home. There is nothing personal about the way the message is done, it is not as if we have been invited into the comfort of her home to see her relaxed by the Christmas tree giving us guidance or encouragment in these difficult times. No indeed, we see her almost cut and pasted like a puppet in different locations! Give it back to the BBC I say! Still, she looked jolly and rather lovely in her purple outfit and seemed to enjoy the choristers singing at the end, whilst I am left with sherry everywhere trying to decide whether to go out and play football with the local villagers!

Last edited:
Listening to and watching Her Majesty makes me immensely proud to be English. I find Queen Elizabeth to be inspiring!

In the UK on the telly, the speech was watched by 6.5 million people.

Lumutqueen said:
In the UK on the telly, the speech was watched by 6.5 million people.

What sort of percentage viewing figures does that represent?

I have no idea, I just know that 6.5 million people watched it.
However the BBC News at 7pm got 0.5 million more viewers.

I have no idea, I just know that 6.5 million people watched it.
However the BBC News at 7pm got 0.5 million more viewers.

But there must be a great many people who watched it on the SKY "red button", like I did, because I missed it live. I doubt if there are any stats to show that, though...

Iluvbertie said:
About 10% of the population - as the population of the UK is about 60 million.

I would love to think there'll be more interest in all things Royal this coming year...

I would love to think there'll be more interest in all things Royal this coming year...

There may be more interest but that doesn't mean people are going to watch the most boring royal event of the year - this year was more 'blah, blah, blah' than usual. The Queen's message used to be inspiring but now it is just plain boring.

As the population of Britain has increased the number of people watching/listening to the Queen's message has decreased.

She's now an old lady and I, for one, am grateful that she continues to make the effort. One of the newspapers which I read said that she'd written it herself: if so, good for her.

She drew a parallel between the words and meanings in the bible with one way in which they could be expressed - through playing sport. It wasn't a bad analogy, as these things go.

I liked the setting, too.

I'm an American... and I loved it. .Way better then catching some lame speech from obama The Queen has class, she cares... and she is truly a christian. I love all of that about her.

Last edited by a moderator:
6.5 million is actually a rather big rating number. Considering the highest rated show on xmas day was eastenders and doctor who with 11 million viewers.

6.5 million is actually a rather big rating number. Considering the highest rated show on xmas day was eastenders and doctor who with 11 million viewers.

Were these first run episodes or re-runs? That makes a difference.

As a loyal subject I look forward to Her Majesty's speech every year and genuinely see it as a welcomed and valuable reflection on the past year. It also gives me as a monarchist, hope for the forthcoming 12 months.

According to the Guardian today, the official viewing figures were 8.8 million, a 54% share of viewers.

They were new episodes, and if it was 8.8 million then that is truly impressive. The BBC and ITV kill for those kind of rating numbers. I'm surprised. Well done your Maj!

Of viewers yes but about 10% of the total population of the nation.

Which is still an awful lot of people, especially on such a busy day like Christmas. It may not be a moment that stops the nation anymore, but it is hardly "the most boring royal event of the year" - short of a story such as a foreign trip or a birth/wedding/funeral it is probably one of the few times that a royal event is on TV and watched by a significant number of people.

I thoroughly enjoy HM's Speech every year, but I did find sport to bit a strange topic. Surley enough has happened this year that she could reflect on?

Which is still an awful lot of people, especially on such a busy day like Christmas. It may not be a moment that stops the nation anymore, but it is hardly "the most boring royal event of the year" - short of a story such as a foreign trip or a birth/wedding/funeral it is probably one of the few times that a royal event is on TV and watched by a significant number of people.

I thoroughly enjoy HM's Speech every year, but I did find sport to bit a strange topic. Surley enough has happened this year that she could reflect on?

If the Christmas Message isn't the most boring royal event of the year what is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom