Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am loving her hat! And the brooch is exquisite...

BBC News - Queen opens Sheffield Motor Neurone Disease centre

Queen opens Sheffield Motor Neurone Disease centre

The Queen spoke to scientists and doctors about their research
Continue reading the main story Related stories

The Queen has opened a £12m centre dedicated to the study of motor neurone disease during a visit to Sheffield.
Accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Queen was given a tour of The Sheffield Institute for Translational Neuroscience (SITraN) on Thursday.
She met scientists and doctors who are researching the causes of the disease and trying to find a cure.
The centre, the first of its kind in Europe, is being run by staff from the University of Sheffield.
Professor Pam Shaw, director of the institute, said: "It's the realisation of a dream for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
:queen:I love seeing pictures of the Queen! She looks good in almost everything she wears. As a lover of color, she is a fashion inspiration and shows that as one gets older, one doesn't have to fade into the background!

The hats always makes me smile. My mom is 83 and was a great lover of hats in her day.

The queen loves weddings, and this forthcoming wedding will give her a new lease of life - that's if she needs it at all :)

The queen loves weddings, and this forthcoming wedding will give her a new lease of life - that's if she needs it at all :)

Not sure I feel "the Queen loves weddings" - she seems to studiously avoid as many as possible - only going to a very select few these days and sending someone else to represent her wherever she can.

I should have said "The Queen loves weddings from her own family/friends circle".

She is right in being very choosy about non-family weddings. Apart from anything else, people could feel slighted if HM were to leave someone out.

I think that her own wedding is still - for some - the yardstick for the ideal, timeless wedding - and of course her Coronation.

Prince Philip to scale back duties when he turns 90 - Telegraph

The Duke of Edinburgh is to relinquish official roles with more than a dozen organisations when he turns 90 next year, in the first such concession to his advancing years.

Among the posts the Duke will vacate are his chancellorships of the University of Edinburgh, held since 1952, and University of Cambridge, held since 1976.

The Duke of Edinburgh is to relinquish official roles with more than a dozen organisations when he turns 90 next year, in the first such concession to his advancing years.

Among the posts the Duke will vacate are his chancellorships of the University of Edinburgh, held since 1952, and University of Cambridge, held since 1976.

A dozen or so out of over 800 doesn't seem like he will be cutting back all that much does it?

I think the key word is "among" the posts he will vacate are...

I am just amazed he still as much as he does for his age!

:previous: Perhaps keeping busy helps the Queen and Prince Philip live longer?

Oh, I believe that without a doubt!! That is what keeps them young....

Oh, I believe that without a doubt!! That is what keeps them young....

Most definitely. I can only hope that should I reach 85-90, I can do half the things these two golden agers can accomplish in one day! I'm sad to admit that they do more in one day than I probably do now... their schedule I think would totally exhaust me.:ermm:

I couldn't have said it better! I get exhausted just Reading their schedule... :)

Today, November 23, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip attended a service of Holy Communion
at the inaugration of the ninth General Synod of the Church of England, an event which takes
place every five years.

** The Queen Attends The Ninth Inauguration Of The General Synod **

Thank you very much, Iceflower, for posting this.

So much attention is currently being focused on William and Catherine, quite understandably, that the Queen's speech at the General Synod has had little exposure. I think it exceptional, and indicative of just how far she understands the imperatives which are changing society.

Here is a summary:

Religious do not have monopoly on virtue, Queen tells synod | UK news | guardian.co.uk

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will arrive today in Abu Dhabi. News, pictures, and discussion can be found in this thread in the UAE forum.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have just arrived in Muscat, Oman. News, pictures, and discussion can be found in this thread in the Gulf States forum.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip attended the Royal World Premiere of "The Chronicles
of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" held at The Odeon Leicester Square on
November 30, 2010 in London.

One of the rare occasion to see the Queen at the movies..:)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** zimbio/gettyimages gallery ** daylife including reuters **

Last edited:
WOW! They both look wonderful. I gotta get me a pashmina.

Nice detail on what we could see on the dress, but I loved her wrap!

Wow, indeed! HM looks especially chic and stunning this evening. I am hoping to see the dress without the lovely wrap in the near future..

The dress is an older one, which she wore during the 2004 State Visit to Germany as well.

Thank you for the info, QueenElizabeth. Any photos of it to be seen?

HM looks wonderful in that outfit, and look at the heels she's wearing! Thanks for the links, ladies. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom